What to eat at a sushi restaurant??

• Tomorrow is my roommate's b-day and she wants to go for sushi. What can I actually eat that would be at least semi-low carbs? Fish obviously has protein so that's a good start but the only sushi I like is the rolls, which have rice. Any suggestions for sushi night on low-carb, low-cal, high protein?
  • Sashimi is the fish without the rice.
  • Japan is decidedly NOT a low carb country. I'm sitting here wracking my brain, but everything has rice or noodles...

All I can think of is like... miso soup and sashimi... And I'm not a hundred percent sure on miso soup.
  • Most of the sushi places I've been to in the past few years have riceless rolls. There are some brown rice rolls, but they're never very good. Look for the ones without rice - usually just the filling wrapped in nori.
  • Sushi resturaunts always have other options on the menu. Although its a much smaller selection, they usually offer lunch/dinner plates with chicken or beef.
    Again, there is also sashimi and miso soups, as well tempura.
    If you want to go low carb, I suggest an order of shrimp tempura and veggies with a bowl of miso soup. It can fill you right up and be your meal for the night.
  • Japanese people eat rice with every meal, so I don't see what the big deal is about cutting those out of a low carb diet. I don't think the rice in sushi is going to kill your diet, just eat it in moderation.
  • I'd just like to mention that you can ask the restaurant to make the sushi without rice and just add more veggies instead. Most of them will do that for you gladly. What I usually do is get one roll with rice and one without.