Question for all you cyclists...

• I'm doing my first sprint triathlon on Saturday and have really enjoyed training. In fact, I'd like to start training for next year's race but have one issue I hope someone can give advice for. A little condition I've lovingly termed "crotch rot" I wear padded bike shorts, but still my nether regions are really sore after I bike. Like, for a day or 2. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
  • I had a similar problem when I started riding again after a long time away from the bike. My tailbone was EXTREMELY SORE for those first few weeks... it hurts just thinking about it. Here is what I did to help with the problem...

1- I replaced my saddle to something that was more comfy. Most stock bike saddles nowadays are stiff and very uncomfortable.

2- Adjust, adjust, adjust... it took me at least two weeks of tweaking the placement of my seat to where I was comfortable enough to ride without pain. Just a 1/4 inch here and there makes a HUGE difference.

3- If everything else fails visit your local bike shop and explain the situation, I'm sure they will be more than glad to help you.

Hope this helps, good luck with your triathlon.
  • Thanks Masher!
  • Winning, I got an ergonomically correct seat for women and I haven't had that problem since...
    It's similar to this one... They look funny but they work... They sell them at bicycle stores
  • Thanks Ilene! I have a pad on my seat, but I never thought of replacing the seat altogether. I'll try it!
  • I replaced my seat - before I did it was so bad that I thought I just wouldn't be able to cycle. Did a little homework, and voila!
  • My bum got so sore the first time I rode my bike I insisted I go buy a new one before I rode again! I got a new one at Walmart for $20ish.