Chicken Adobo

• I found the base recipe on allrecipes.com and made a few adjustments to make it SB friendly. If you're on Phase II, it goes great w/ some brown rice and sugar snap peas. YUM!!!

OMFG...I just made Chicken Adobo and it was frigging AWESOME!!! This recipe was tweaked just a little to make it SB friendly (it called for vegetable oil and a whole chicken...I used EVOO and boneless skinless chicken breasts since dark meat is not allowed). Oh, and mine looks a WHOLE lot better than the picture w/ the recipe!!!

This is a Phase I recipe as long as it's served on it's own. If you have it w/ brown rice, of course, it makes it Phase II.

Chicken Adobo

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 50 Minutes
    Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
    Servings: 6

"This classic adobo recipe is simple to make and famous with all who have tasted it. It has been modified to be a bit more saucy than traditional adobo, it is delicious served over rice."

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
    1 large onion, quartered and sliced
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1/3 cup white vinegar
    2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 bay leaf

Directions:
    1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken pieces until golden brown on both sides, then remove. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook until they soften and brown, about 6 minutes.
    2. Pour in vinegar and soy sauce, and season with garlic powder, black pepper, and bay leaf. Add the browned chicken, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through, 35 to 40 minutes.

And this is what mine looked like:

• Yum, that looks good, and it seems easy to make! I have all the ingredients on hand except for bay leaf, which I could easily get. yum!
  • It was really easy...and I got the bay leaves at Kroger for less than $2.
  • Making this again tomorrow w/ a side of steamed broccoli and brown rice. YUMMERS!!!
  • Made for dinner on Tuesday. Loved how easy it was but found it a little too salty for my taste - hubs loved it as is - might have to play with it a little as I liked the salty/tangy flavor of the soy/vinegar. We served it over ff refried beans to 'hold' some of the sauce which worked really well.

Thanks for the recipe!
  • A lot of people said it was overly salty for them. I didn't think it was and I don't eat a lot of salt. *shrugs* Maybe a little bit of Splenda would help cut the salt???
  • Now that's what is for dinner!
  • i thought adobo had peppers in it and was spicy?
  • Quote: i thought adobo had peppers in it and was spicy?
    Traditional adobo has whole pepperCORNS in it...maybe that's what you're thinking of???
  • Adobo actually just means 'sauce' or 'marinade' in Spanish. Adobo refers to stewing in vinegar for Filipino cuisine.
    There are so many variations...kind of like BBQ sauce - everyone has their favorite flavors, KWIM?

Maybe you're thinking of the spice called Adobo by Goya? I haven't used it but I think it is heavy on the pepper.

I think if you wanted spicy that some red pepper flakes would work really well with the flavors. We've been eating so many 'spicy' dishes this week (& I feel like I'm on bean overload, lol) that I just went as written but used a heavy hand on the pepper.

I think next time I might just reduce the soy a little or add more chicken. Hubs loves saltier flavors so he wants it again.
  • I made this for dinner tonight and really liked it. I didn't see this recipe and used the one from the 365 crock pot blog, but it's very close. I just used 10 black peppercorns instead of the ground pepper, red wine vinegar, and chopped fresh garlic instead of powdered. I also did it in the crock pot, and in the bottom of the pot I put shredded carrots and cabbage along with the onion. The pickled veggies at the end were really good! Since I used frozen chicken pieces, I didn't brown them, so no oil. I am not a heavy salter, and I didn't find it too salty.
  • I made this last night and the flavor was really great but just too salty. I am not sure how to get rid of the saltiness? I will experiment with it because it was certainly flavorful
  • Mmm, I love adobo
    My mommy is filipino, so I guess I'll just ask her to cook up a pot tomorrow for dinner :3
  • The smell of simmering adobo makes me salivate. It's on the crock pot...except I use more apple cider vinegar than usually called for and extra garlic. Great over quinoa in p2. Tonight, it's by itself in a big briney bowl. Yum!