Calling All Pagan Alternachicks

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • um...not to get off the topic...which is fascinating, all perspectives...but I just wanted to respond to flower...

That 12 year old you have there? He's being difficult for just that reason...he's 12! (But I hope you got a chance to communicate with your late husband, anyway) Your version of Halloween sounds lovely.

Stay warm!
  • Hope you all enjoyed the holiday. I was thinking about you all

Mauvais - that story is the kind that gives me chill bumps...wow, it is just......I don't know the word - neat?

I know this may sound a little out there......but it might be interesting all these years later to visit another medium sometime to see if Black Goose has any more messages for you....

Sojo - I found your post interesting. Please continue posting here - I think we're all open minded and tolerant enough to know there are many paths and we all benefit from learning about each other's beliefs and points of view. This reminds me of a discussion I had after 9/11 last year. A group of us were puzzled that the actions of that day seemed so inconsistent with the actual teachings of Islam. I've always known there were extremists within any religious organization, but it really hit home that day - that we must keep our generalizations in check. One of the things I admire about Paganism is the belief that you don't hold an entire group responsible for the actions of a few, which is why the Catholic church scandal is so painful to watch. Many of us have known wonderful priests and to paint them all with the same brush...... in any event, I'll stop now. Please stay in our discussion - it's much more interesting that most of my day-to-day conversations: time-to-get-tires-changed-need-to-vacuum-forgot-to-buy-toothpaste hmmm. sounds like my to-do list.

Take Care - Terri
  • I went a new age store today for a smudging stick. (wound up sage). I wanted it for a house I am moving into next month as the occupant is an alchoholic. I wanted to remove all traces of the renters. Anyways, this is a small town and she didn't have any to sell. She gave me her own one. The only one she had! Things like this restore my faith in human nature! She said to return it if theres any left, but don't worry about it if I use it up.

As for my communication with my late husband...it went well. No answers but I feel better. As for my 12 year old... time will tell if I am making the right decisions in his up bringing. He is trying my patience!!!
  • You girls are such an interesting bunch. I love hearing about everyones beliefs and "spiritual walks". I was Christianed (spelling?) as a child Protestant United, later joined the Baptist church, even went to a Bible College, which was not at all for me. When we had children we were living in a community where there was again a United Church so we moved our membership there, which by name only we still belong. It has been years since we have entered the church. And years since I have given religion any thought.
    Now, with all the talk on Paganism, I find myself drawn to learning about it. It sounds so interesting and wholesome and loving. Not political and cynical. Not all churches are like that I know. Some churches very much make you feel at home. It just that I am not sure what I truely believe anymore.
    I think I will go to my library on Monday and see if they have anything on Paganism, I doubt it. Small town! Oh well I will search the web too, and learn from all of your wonderful discussions. Keep them coming everyone.
    Virginia
  • Sojo- I'm sure that no one here is offended by your post. I myself have a Christian friend who I have known since we were in grade school. She is not a zealot or uber-religious but she does have her beliefs and attends church regularly. I have different beliefs than her but we are still friends and our differences in religion don't affect our relationship.

I am going by my own experiences with various organizations. I have been to Anglican, Presbyterian, United, and Roman Catholic churches, I have studied Hindu philosphies, Bhudism and even Scientology! I found that they all had some good ideas but I objected to some of thier other teachings or something has happened with the actual people in the organization that put me off.

Please keep posting as this is a thread on discussing idealogy and sharing information so any input is great
  • Better late than never!

Ok, a few of these books are from an archaological perspective since my religious leanings are more toward the religion of my ancestors than of Wicca, which is a revamped religion spun off of an ancient religion. Wicca was born in the 50's with beliefs created by a man named Gardner.

~Sourcebook of World Religions - Joel Beversluis
    ~Circle Round - Starhawk, Hill & Baker
    ~Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft - Guiley
    ~The Complete Idiots Guide to Wicca & Witchcraft - Zimmerman & Gleason
    ~Witchcraft, Theory & Practice - DeAngeles
    ~When God Was A Woman - Merlin Stone
    ~Myth of the Female Divine - Lemming & Page
    ~Anything by the late Scott Cunningham
  • Thanks for the list Punkin!
  • yes Punkin thanks!

Now back to my......

"double bubble, toil and trouble" ..er, umm..... something like that

Terri
  • Ok, I have to put in my two cents. I am a mouthy sort don't ya know. While I am a Christian, I have always been facinated by, and respected pagans a great deal. I think that we all have to follow our own spiritual path, and I think that we should respect everyone's religious/spiritual beliefs. They are beautiful, and personal parts of all of our lives. Besides I like to tell any uptight dogmatic Christians that the next time they decorate their Christmas tree, or hide their Easter eggs they'd better stop and remember that these traditions were taken directly from our pagan brothers and sisters to "entice" the pagans to come over to Christianity. Look, we all have to live together, we might as well get along, and love each other, the way we're doing it now doesn't seem to be working out for us. Peace. I'm out.

• Amen
  • VelvetC - you should'a warned me! I almost had coffee coming out my nose reading your post!
    I don't believe, in the 15 years or so that I've known to call my beliefs "Pagan", that I've ever heard a Christian say that they acknowledge those things (decorating trees and Easter eggs) as being Pagan in origin. Nope, never... usually any Pagan resemblances to Christianity are denied, ignored or called coincedence.

If the world had more open minded, all-religion loving/accepting people like you, we probably wouldn't be in the mess we are in today...

Bless you,

Terri
  • You said it Punkinseed!
  • Amen Punkinseed! You said a mouthful girl!
    Virginia
  • Velvet, here's another Christian who's in complete agreement with you.

Listen, when our daughter was six, someone told me we were bad parents for not letting our daughter believe in Santa Claus (personal choice... we just do the Jesus' birthday thing, but I have NO objection to other people "doing Santa"). Easter rolls around, and what does she buy her six year old son? A BB-gun!!!
    Give me strength!

I've got a sister-in-law who is a hard-core born again Christian. She informed me that my first love; who committed suicide, was "burning in ****". And that our mutual sister-in-law; who is gay and whom I love dearly, will also "burn in ****". Don't you just love these "loving Christians"?

You know, all I ask is that people be nice. I don't give a damn who or what they worship.
  • I couldn't agree more!!!!!