Shorties

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Oh yes, the size thing drives me mad! (Although I understand the logic).

Although my stretch-waist jeans are a UK16 and fine, if I want to sit down in a button down shirt without embarrassment, it still has to be a UK24. I read - both here and in magazine articles - about people at my weight now slipping comfortably into a UK16 top and bottom, or even less and, well, it's a challenge to my equanimity, let us say!

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge anyone their sizes but I guess I'm going to have to be a UK10 before I'm anything like lissom. This feels strange because when I was younger, 100 years ago, Size Ten was definitely skinny, 12 was healthily slim. I may need to reevaluate. Still, at UK16-24, I don't need to be rushing into that reevaluation!
  • I am 5'3" - actually 5' 2 3/4" but all for rounding up lol
  • This post is a completely weird coincidence. I came here to moan and complain about the discovery I just made... I am 5'2" but my entire adult life I have thought I was 5'4". A co-worker and I just went through a 10-minute "argument" then a yardstick rigmarole to make this discovery.

I am totally irked! I have based my calorie needs, BMI, and goals for the past year on 5'4" and now I have to rethink everything.

AFK to pout.

edited to add:
    Quote: Finding clothes is always a chore, especially since I am larger in the chest area (42 F, but I was a 36D in High School! Fredericks is my bra store and don't even get me started on their prices!)
    I have the same issue (currently a 34H, used to be a 44) and I made the BEST online bra discovery recently: http://www.barenecessities.com/ They have stuff that goes on sale all the time and carry all sizes and the quality is great; returns are easy if necessary. Just make sure to check each bra to see if it is measured in UK or US sizes and order appropriately. There are conversion charts there to help.
  • I am 5 feet even, for years I thought I ws 5'2"" I was measured at my HMO, I didn't believe them and the next 3 times I went in I had them measure me again, each time by a different person. I finally believe them. I also lowered my goal weight making it more appropriate for a shorter persn.
  • well im 227 and 5'6 and i hate this equally i feel like a giant ... if i was shorter i might not have cared so much about being so fat ...i think short chunky ppl are cute i feel like we tall fatties look like ogres ... in my case anyways
  • [quote=CHUNKEY_MUNKEY;3445758]... ...i think short chunky ppl are cute [/quote

I have been short and chunky and I promise you I was NOT cute !
  • I wasn't cute either
  • Quote: 5'2" here! I don't get jealous of the taller chicks so much as I worry that they're going to think I'm whiny to be complaining about my weight when many of them would consider my weight to be barely overweight or even a healthy weight for them. I'm still obese at my current weight! I like being short, but hated trying to find plus size clothes in "petite" sizes. I always felt like an idiot having to ask saleswomen if they had the plus sizes in petites because I was anything but "petite". And even when I get to goal, I'm still stuck having to order most of my clothes online because most stores don't carry petites or only carry a few of the styles in store.

Go short chicks!
    I feel the same way!! I'm glad you expressed it! I like it when tickers post BMI's, not because the BMI's are the end-all-be-all, but because it gives me some idea of where that person is coming from.

VicSin, I may not be short in your definition, but I come from a long line of shorties! At 5'4" I am the amazon woman of my family. All the women are under 5' and my mother is 4'9". I'm the same height as my grandpa and one uncle and taller than another uncle. So I have a very strange impression of myself. In my head, I am tall. I am only short when I see a picture of myself next to someone or when I'm standing in the mirror next to DH. He's 6'0" and in my head we're the same height.

Also, it's weird talking weight with my mom. She's 175 at 4'9" which for her is still morbidly obese, whereas I'm tickled pink and feeling good at 168.
  • Im a shortie also. Im 5'3 and At my highest of over 255 I saw a pic of myself and knew I had to do something......I never want to go back there. I never had a complaint about my height I actually dont mind it