IP Weekly Chat August 7th - 13th

You're on Page 32 of 32
Go to
  • Quote: Maybe go for a walk or read or do something other than think about carbs. You've made so much progress and are so close to your goal- would it be worth it to eat something that could shut down your weight loss?

(I'm new, I tried!! )
    Thanks tucker. I was in such a frenzy I didn't even consider just going for a walk!

Quote: We have all been there and I have two answers for you.
    No. 1- try to divert your attention. The cravings will pass --
    It really is a delay of about 3 days for any cheat. If you are impatient like I am, 3 days is a long time and so not worth it for a carb or sugar or whatever. So-- forget about food and find something else to do.
    No. 2-- If all else fails, cheat with IP. Have a bar or any extra IP that will get you through the evening. This will not cause a 3 day delay-- and many of the bars taste like treats. Good luck- You can do it!!
    Thanks Tricia. Of course it is not worth a three day delay. I needed a dose of reality. I`ve been so thrilled with my progress, it would be crazy to derail myself now!

Quote: fantasize you getting the job, looking fantastic, turning heads as you walk down the halls, envy on everyones face because you got it together
    I love this. I am going to looK fantastic! I think I should divert my attention by buying a few new & fabulous power suits.

You guys are awesome. I feel much better. I can handle the wait without cheating!
  • congrats taylor!!

ellie
    gotta get a bright colored shoe that pops with that first dress, i say some red, purple of blue shiny pumps
  • Quote: congrats taylor!!

ellie
    gotta get a bright colored shoe that pops with that first dress, i say some red, purple of blue shiny pumps
    alrighty!! since pretty much everything I own is black or shade there of, here I come nordstroms!

also, what is the Jillian DVD that you do? I noticed there are a few on comcast ondemand of hers and wanted to try at least one.

ummm how is everything?? referring to FB post yesterday, didn't want to pry on there but been thinking about you all day.
  • So much going on for so many people, makes some of my problems feel insignificant! Thanks to all of you who read all the posts and give such good advice. I don't know how you keep up but I'm glad you do!
    Was feeling down about only loosing 2 lbs this week, until I started looking at the total wt loss and body changes. I've been going through the board stage like others, so guess it's a matter of "bucking up", keeping focused on the goal and realizing I've had a good steady loss. Buying some new clothes and underwear helped make the weight loss more real.
    Again, Thanks to all of you who support me and support others!
    Jean
  • pretty torn up right now, and not in the good way. my only living biological grandfather(who is a young 67 or so) is in the hospital and may be going soon. my other biological gpa was murdered before i was born. really stressing and really worried tonight. he only lives 2 hours from me but has never met either of my kids. i feel the most tremendous guilt right now for not visiting him and we're going down to see him tomorrow with just my son, as my daughter's father has her this weekend. please keep my family in your thoughts, prayers or whatever you do tonight.
  • Quote: pretty torn up right now, and not in the good way. my only living biological grandfather(who is a young 67 or so) is in the hospital and may be going soon. my other biological gpa was murdered before i was born. really stressing and really worried tonight. he only lives 2 hours from me but has never met either of my kids. i feel the most tremendous guilt right now for not visiting him and we're going down to see him tomorrow with just my son, as my daughter's father has her this weekend. please keep my family in your thoughts, prayers or whatever you do tonight.
    I'll wish upon a star tonight that you'll be at peace soon. Take care and Hugs.
  • Quote: bought this in medium for my birthday, hope it fits. didn't want to drive 8 miles to get it from store so we'll know by weds, if it fits then I'll be wearing it for my birthday!

not sure what colour shoes it needs????
    Unlike Erin, I would probably wear black, too. I do have some red shoes that I love, but agree that something shiny would be cool.

Quote: Day four and it has been the toughest for me. Found that I'm wanting something, don't know what but something so I had an extra snack which they told me I could do if I had to.

I need major help with vegetables. Unfortunately most of the ones on the list are on my hate list. So far its been zucchini, peppers and onion, and raw spinach with my salad. There has got to be something more. Any suggestions, this will be the breaking point for me.
    Day 4 was the roughest for me, too. Some people experience it sooner, but I honestly thought I was going to die of exhaustion that day. Everytime I think about cheating, I think about having to live through that again. Ugh.

Quote: Hello everyone,
    It took forever to read all the new posts. CONGRATS to everyone and their amazing weight loss.

I had my surgery and I am still alive. I ended up with 4 large incisions in diff parts of my body so moving is a bit tricky. They had to remove the entire neuro stim and replace it BUT is seems to be working pretty good right now. I will be spending lots of time resting so prob will not post much.
    THANK YOU, to everyone for your thougths, prayers, and warm wishes. It meant so much to me.
    Thanks for stopping by to let us all know it went well. Feel better.

Quote: pretty torn up right now, and not in the good way. my only living biological grandfather(who is a young 67 or so) is in the hospital and may be going soon. my other biological gpa was murdered before i was born. really stressing and really worried tonight. he only lives 2 hours from me but has never met either of my kids. i feel the most tremendous guilt right now for not visiting him and we're going down to see him tomorrow with just my son, as my daughter's father has her this weekend. please keep my family in your thoughts, prayers or whatever you do tonight.
    Ugh. I know how you feel. Last summer my grandpa fell, broke his hip, then suddenly his memory got much worse. I feel like I've sort of lost him because he remembers so little, but we still have moments of clairty. I feel for you.

So, last night after dinner, sat down to check 3FC and my Interent was broken. A few curse words later, and I realized my modem had given up. It was probably time. Glad to catch up with everyone!
  • ellie

SO weird you say that, i saw 2 shooting stars back to back without even trying to spot them. must be a sign

jessica
    thank you. sometimes it's even harder when they're here but "not". my grandma had a stroke about 10 years ago after a colonoscopy. she was then a parapalegic and had dementia hardcore till the end while i was pregnant with my first in december of 2005. it's hard for me to happy she's with her husband now(the one that was robbed and shot dead as a store clerk in '71) but **** i know it's better than what she was going through here. i just wish peace

and about the shoes-they always gotta "POP!"
  • Quote: bought this in medium for my birthday, hope it fits. didn't want to drive 8 miles to get it from store so we'll know by weds, if it fits then I'll be wearing it for my birthday!

not sure what colour shoes it needs???? and this other 2.
    I love them both! The colorful one is probably my favorite. I love blue so, I'd go that route but, red is a definite eye catcher!

Don't know if you like a high heel but, these are some fun ones I found I zappos. They have lots of good things and prices. If you like ebay, there is a vendor, shoemetro, they have great prices and first rate shoes! I have picked up a few discontinues styles from them that I LOVED and had to have a second pair of before they were totally off the market. (I think I bought 4 pairs of my favorite tennis shoes when puma discontinued the model. )
    http://www.zappos.com/multiview/7701621/94263
    http://www.zappos.com/search/shoes/f...rt/isNew/desc/

Quote: Carla!
    I could cry with relief at the information and advice you've shared! I'm so sorry you had to go through that but please know that my little girl will greatly benefit from what you've shared. Many thanks!!
    Your welcome. I really don't mind sharing. It was much less common back then and, with the possibility of more people needing to address it, I am glad that the experience will possibly be helpful to someone. Life is full of "silver linings" at some point.

My littlest sister was a case of my experience helping her. She thought she was fat when she entered puberty. I am 9 years older than her and one night she came crying to me and couldn't stop going on about her weight and she wasn't like her friends (not yet in puberty) and they were dieting and she needed to diet. I remembered how I was and how I was now yo-yoing up and down with my weight. I told her "Don't diet. Eat healthy. Don't live on ice cream, shakes, pizza, fries, or soft pretzel like the other kids. Learn about what you body needs and eat that. Exercise! Be as active as you can now. I promise you in 4 or 5 years you will be the same as them and, in 10 years you will be thinner than them because you took care of your body." I am thankful she trusted me. She did as I suggested. Slowly slimmed down. And, is the only one of us 4 girls to have a healthy body image and never have an eating disorder or weight problem. As promised, She was the same as (actually thinner than) her friends at graduation and at her first reunion, she was MUCH more fit and healthy.

I believe like you commented earlier. We need to pass the message about eating right on to younger women much earlier. Your daughter is so lucky to have a mother as smart and caring as you. With you setting the example and teaching her how to live with a healthy diet, she will have a great future.

Quote: I keep seeing talk about sticky's but I have no idea what they are.
    Start here. Open a new window then, copy and paste the link below into the address line.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

When you review the page that comes up, do you see a purple header that reads Threads in Forum?

Just below that are some words in red, bold type. They say sticky. Stickies are threads that are permanently "fixed" to that location so, no matter how often they are used or in what order people comment, those items are always at the top of that page. Typically, a sticky is a highly important information item. It is not a conversation or chat thread. It should just provide you the information need and do it with the greatest ease.

If you continue down the page you will see a solid, bold purple bar and below that many "thread" titles. These are not fixed and the most recent will appear on top and continue down getting older and "more cool" in interest.

If you scroll all the way to the end of that you will see a box to the left that says new thread. This is what you use to put up a new thread of your choosing.

To the right you see PAGES and numbers ( we are at 12 so far) that represent all the pages of threads that have been generated since early this year when the forum began to take shape.

Reviewing the pages is fun if it is a slow night on here! You will find many interesting topics some old, some personal, but many still relevant. If one brings up and issue you want to reactivate, open it, click on the quote (as you would here), and it will reopen it for us to discuss with you!

I hope I didn't go too far. I am not sure how much you know about how the main page for the sub forum works and the subforum in general. If you knew it all, thank you for allowing me to use you as my demonstration partner so others who weren't aware might get some new info!

Quote: Day four and it has been the toughest for me. Found that I'm wanting something, don't know what but something so I had an extra snack which they told me I could do if I had to.

I need major help with vegetables. Unfortunately most of the ones on the list are on my hate list. So far its been zucchini, peppers and onion, and raw spinach with my salad. There has got to be something more. Any suggestions, this will be the breaking point for me.

I also have issues with colitis so too much salad greens makes me ill (anything vegetable or fruit wise for that matter) any suggestions would be wonderful.

As usual you are all very inspirational. So sorry for those of you struggling with losing friends/loved ones to cancer. Both my parents are cancer survivors so I know how devastating that disease is.
    I am so sorry you have to deal with colitis! It really makes life uncomfortable and difficult. You will LOVE this diet. Take it slowly as you add the raw, fresh vegetables in. But, very soon, you should start noticing a greater intestinal tolerance. Have you by chance talked to your doctor or coach about how to do this diet and manage the increased fiber intake? (I assume an increase because many with colitis are advised to use less raw veggies than this offers.)

If not, speak with them. Also, ask them about adding a probiotic and essential enzymes. Really, these will be very helpful in managing the increased fiber.

Are you lactose intolerant? If yes, try to use more of the non dairy/whey based IP packets. Seek out the soy based, the eggs (albumin), or the collagen ones. It will help with the gassiness that can come on the diet.

take your omega oils and use extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil for your foods when prepping or cooking. These oils have soothing properties for the intestine.

Try to use fennel tea or aloe vera juice to soothe the intestines and gas that might occur with this diet.

It seems counter-intuitive but, if you are not in a flare up, try to eat many green leafy vegetables (kale, Swiss chard, escarole, parsley, spinach, etc). This kind of high vegetable protein diet (with no dairy foods) has been shown to reduce bowel inflammation in Crohn's disease and forms of colitis. If you can't bare to eat the raw or cooked, try juicing. It isn't ideal but it will reduce the fiber and give you the nutrients.

Try to get vitamin C with bioflavonoids, 3,000-5,000 mg. daily in divided doses, is needed for immune function and healing of the mucous membranes. (Use a nonacid-forming brand) We remove many of the natural sources where you would get vitamin C and it is so essential to colitis patients.

Best options for you might be to steam, boil, pressure cook, grill, or roast veggies. This will make the fiber more manageable. Consider having your salads grilled! (romaine leaf is best this way) You get a nice flavor but, the gassiness is very much reduced. I like to grill the romaine, some mushrooms, and asparagus with a very small tomato and sprinkle with some finely chopped onion. It is a nice flavorful dish. I use a modified caesar dressing on this or an Italian vinaigrette.

Other people with this issue have had great success on the diet! I am sure you will too!

Some options you might try, again based on if you are in a flare up or not:

roasted cauliflower
    roasted mix veggies with yellow zuchinni, turnip or rutabaga, asparagus, mushroom

roasted kale or other greens ( have you had any experience with them? Collards, Kale, mustard greens, dandelion greens, beet greens) They are good if you cook them nice and slow.

roasted fennel

baked spinach with garlic

sauteed cucumbers with Shiitaki mushrooms (LMAO, I spelled shiitaki with one I and got sensored with****taki)

sauteed bok choy with mushrooms

roasted, stuffed green peppers or cabbage rolls

kale chips

cauliflower and broccoli bake

sauteed chicken and okra gumbo

cooked cauliflower and rutabaga

roasted leeks for in soups

grilled, broiled or roasted eggplant for "sandwiches"

You can also do a egg plant baked or roasted with olive oil and seasonings. It is good with a little walden foods Marinara too.

Try a snow pea stirfry from time to time. This is great with some bean sprouts, bok choy, zuchinni, and shrimp or chicken.

My advice is get the foods but, start out by getting them cooked so the insoluable fiber is not a problem. They will be a great addition to soups. Some people like to puree the veggies and blend them into the soup. (You can also use a low carb, low sodium broth or stock and make your own clear soups if those are good for you.) THEN, as you see your body is healing, start eating them a little more raw. YOU WILL BE AMAZED at how fast your body responds to and changes with this diet!

Quote: Does it hurt to take a break and phase out for a month or two then get right back at it? I am really really tired. Finding motivation is hard and under a lot of stress right now. Has there been anyone who has maintained a month or two then got right back at it? Would this hurt anything? Smart choice or not so much? Advice needed please

Sheila
    Ask JOSH. He maintained for somewhere around 2months and is back on track now. I think, if you are not having focus, you should phase off properly to maintain the success you have had. That should make it easier to come back to this when you are ready. I know a few others had to take breaks too. I hope they will see this and respond. If not, YES. It is perfectly fine to take this in stages. Just stick to phase 4 when you get there and don't go too crazy!

Quote:
    Thanks for all the info. Especially thanks for the info above about the attachments. I knew the paper clips were there. I thought they were just letting me know there were attachments in that thread. I will certainly practice using them from the thread topic lines. This will really make researching the threads easier!

OK. So I just tried the paper clips. Wow! I sure wish I had realized that sooner. I feel totally silly. That makes it sooo easy to find the attachments that you knew you saw somewhere...THANKS CARLA!
    You're welcome! I stumbled on to that one day! LOL WHO KNEW there was something easy to do here.

Quote: I never noticed the paper clips -- that's very cool! I've got to add my supplements spreadsheet as a a pdf to a couple of threads.
    YEAH! Maybe we can add that tip to the technical sticky too?

Quote: I love this. I am going to looK fantastic! I think I should divert my attention by buying a few new & fabulous power suits.

You guys are awesome. I feel much better. I can handle the wait without cheating!
    WOO HOO!! You just had an excellent NSV and one of those magic moments that happen on IP where you recognize how you would like to deal with it and find a new alternative! I love that about this diet because you really see how it is retraining you so the weight will stay off!

Can't wait til you can post that you got the job!

Quote: pretty torn up right now, and not in the good way. my only living biological grandfather(who is a young 67 or so) is in the hospital and may be going soon. my other biological gpa was murdered before i was born. really stressing and really worried tonight. he only lives 2 hours from me but has never met either of my kids. i feel the most tremendous guilt right now for not visiting him and we're going down to see him tomorrow with just my son, as my daughter's father has her this weekend. please keep my family in your thoughts, prayers or whatever you do tonight.
    Erin, I am soooo sorry. Best wishes to you all tomorrow. It is too bad your daughter's father won't trade you a weekend so you can take her with you. Oh well. I will say a pray, or many, for you and your family.
  • I found this helpful because it condenses a lot of very useful information.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/loveyou...ounds-1964849/

(Maybe not as helpful [or gracious] as Carla's posts, see below, but I hope it helps someone.)

I have a question. Has anyone used a far infrared sauna for health purposes, e.g., fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, weight loss???
  • Check out the new thread. Here's the link.
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...t-14-15-a.html

I'll post a link back to this one in the first post of the new one.