chewing and spitting

• have any of you ever done this? i just chewed my way through a chocolate muffin and spit it out without swallowing any of it. is this dangerous? do you still ingest any calories?
    just to let you all know a little about myself, i'm an 18-yr-old college student who's life up until now has been one big eating disorder. when i was 15 i became anorexic and starved myself down to 79 lbs (i'm 5'6) and was hospitalized twice. i was 'recovered' and happy for about a year at 110 lbs, still very thin but not sick anymore. then i started bingeing the summer before my senior year in high school. i went through brief periods of time where i purged a few times a day, took laxatives and diet pills, but still ended up gaining over 50 in a year. my doctor put me back on my anti-depressant to control my bingeing urges, and it has done just that. i no longer feel the physical need to binge, although i do occasionally overeat due to emotional causes.
    so here i am at 5'6 and 166 lbs. i first worked on eating normally to maintain my weight, and now i'm ready to loose. before i had any weight problems i was 125-130 lbs, but i'd be really happy to get to around 140. i believe that's more realistic. in the last 5 days i've lost 2 pounds by eating 1200-1600 cals a day and working out for at least 45 mins.
    so anyway, do any of you have experiences with chewing food and then spitting it out? i'm haven't heard much about it and i'm just curious...
  • Hi !!

Wow lady, you've been thru alot, and I'm glad to see you are trying to eat healthier.

I don't know if I'd want to make that a habit, it just doesn't sound right. Why don't you try cutting the muffin in half or quarters, throwing the rest away and enjoying the piece you have, taking tiny bites ? this way would be safer. I know its easier said then done but this way you know it can't hurt you... Unless the muffin is 3 feet tall mmmm lolol...just joshin.

I hope others respond to this with some good advice because now I'm curious.

Huggs !!!!

Leenie
  • I don't know how good that is to do that either. Can you allow yourself to eat the muffin as part of your caloric intake for the day? I find that depriving myself of the eating of things I like makes me crave things worse.
  • I read on one of the Internet sites on Eating Disorders that this is a part of the effects of Bulimia. I hope this helps to answer some of the questions you have about this. I, personally, would try to avoid doing this especially for the above reason.
  • GingerXx.

Yep, I've done that. With donuts. I still do it but only every once in a while. I find it to be part of my behavior when I'm on a "diet". I have to be PERFECT...and if I end up even tasting something that I've deamed "bed" I'll spit it out instead of swollowing it.

So, you are not alone on this one.
    While I have to say that I dont think it's a healthy habit I'll have to admit it better then throwing up. Sorry for the graphics....LOL!!
  • this is part of an eating disorder. if you have suffered with anorexia i would be very very careful. its not so much the behaviour that worries me, as the mindset that you have, that makes you feel u have to. there is a website that might be helpful to u, its http://www.something-fishy.org . i wouldnt be messing with eating disorders, especially if u have been down that path b4
  • GingerBeXx

We have just about the same stats. I am at 160 (started at 167 at highest weight and just lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks) and am about 5' 61/2". I too have been up and down with weight. Sometimes starving....simetimes binging or over exercising.
    It is tough. At least we can all try to keep it under control together!! Supporting each other!!
  • I do that, sometimes...
    I was annorexic and now that I've recovered,
    I didn't want to gain a lot of weight.
    I'm 120 and 5'8, thin but definately not sick.
    At Christmas we have about 90000 boxes of chocolates around,
    and I chew the ones I love, savor them until they're all mushy and spit 'em out. I figure I get 100 calories MAX from an entire box this way, and it gets them out of the house a lot faster
    My mom's seen me do this and just laughed,
    I know a lot of people who do this and have never has an ED so I figured it can't be that bad. It's just a funny little way for a girl to have her chocolate and keep her figure, too
  • Hi--I haven't posted here for a very long time.

I have never been anorexic but I have done the 'chew and spit' before and still do occasionally. I'll give you some history. I am 5'4 and started my weight loss journey about 6 years ago at 176 pounds (size 16/18) . I reached my goal of 150 (and a size 8/10) about 3 months or so after that. I now weigh 133 pounds (and a size 6/7). I have gained a few pounds during these years but never anything substantial. I only walk for exercise. I have never really thought that I have an eating disorder, although I know that what I do and have done is not normal and can abe classified and an eating disorder. I do, on occasion, abuse laxative (and have for about 16 or so years, probably since I was about 20 but not regualarly) and as I say, I still tend to 'chew and spit'--especially after eating stuff like chocoalte, cookies, french fries, pizza--anything that tastes really good and I know is high in calories and/or fat. I know it is not healthy to do either of these and I have tried many times to stop but my brain just won't. I am on anti-depressants, my Dr. knows (to some extent) that I have done this (doesn't know that I still do) and I want to stop and have before but I am SO afraid that if I do I will start to put weight back on and I just CAN"T do that to myself. I feel for everyone here who is and who has been in any situation like this. Hopefully we can all work through this and stay healthy.