Conceit vs. Self Confidence

• So it's been a long time since I've been self confident about my appearance. In other facets of my life I'm very confident, my looks have not been one of them until recently. How do I keep my attitude in check and stay balanced between self confident and modest without crossing the line to conceited? I don't think I know anymore how to distiguish the difference. I just want to be a well rounded person
  • I think the very fact that you are asking the question shows an awareness that will keep you humble. That said, here is a piece of advice I got from a boss one time, and if you can really, really live it, it is amazingly true:

"If you do good work, you don't have to say it; others will say it for you."...so the less you say/act as if you have really done something, which you HAVE!!!!!...the more others will say it for you. To which you simply need to respond, "thank you".

You have done an amazing thing, and I salute your success!
  • Confidence is about liking who you are and the choices you make. It doesn't diminish anyone else. Conceit is about comparing yourself to others, and making sure you come out ahead.

If you're trying to be the best you, you can be (and not worried about what other people think), and you aren't hurting anyone else (even in your mind) - that's confidence.

If you need to be better than everyone else to feel ok - that's conceit.