Want to introduce myself

• Hi everyone,

Just joined this site. I am trying Atkins (started yesterday). A little bit about me:

I had a weight problem as a teenager, getting up to about 170lbs. in high school. Once I entered college I lost weight (without trying) and for the next four years fluctuated between 125-145. After leaving college my weight basically fluctuated between 135 and 150, going up and down (in times of stress I would always loose weight).

I have never been able to "diet." I'd stay on a diet for two or three days and then go off it. My biggest success was staying on WW for a week and losing 6 lbs! My problem is not necessarily binging, it is portion control and not wanting to be disciplined about what I put in my mouth. Usually I am fairly active (gym 4x per week).

Well, after a trip to England early this summer and slacking off with going to the gym as of right now I have gained up to 155 (from 147 prior to my trip). I think I am most comfortable when I am about 137-140 lbs. I want to get down to this again. I am trying the Atkins plan, as it seems as though it will be the easiest and most realistic for me to follow.

I am on the second day and boy...do I miss my carbs! Now that I am looking at the carb content of things I am realizing how many carbs I was eating every day, not just hidden carbs either. I love potatoes in every form, bread, rice etc. - you name it, I love it. I'm going to try to stick to the Induction plan for two weeks and see how much I lose.

A couple of questions:
    1. Do any of you suffer from carb withdrawal symptoms? What are they and when do they end?
    2. Is this really going to work for me? I would like to hear from someone with a background similar to mine (and everyone else too for that matter).

Thanks for reading!!
  • Hi Tilly! Welcome to the group, glad you are here! I had withdrawal symptoms for about 3 days. Then they just disappeared. Just look for those first few days if you have a tough time. It won't be hard for long.

Good luck!
  • Hi Jennifer! Thanks for welcoming me, I feel honored to be welcomed by the admin herself!! How has the diet been working for you? I find it so hard to believe that just by cutting out carbs I will lose weight, esp. when I can eat whatever I want in terms of fat etc. I guess time will tell...
  • Welcome, Tilly. I'm so glad you found us. Hang in there - this is the best site on the Net for support and information!
    Be sure to join teh chicks on the Daily where we yack about6 things in general. Also check out the FAQ and Recipe sections in the Low Carb Lifestyle.
  • Welcome Tilly!

Atkins had absolutely worked wonders for me. I lost 11lbs in the first two months. I have to admit that it was without any regular exercise. (Starting my 3rd month now vowing to make time to exercise. ) I didn't suffer from any physical withdrawal symptoms, just got a ton more energy. When I started I told myself I'd give it 2 weeks. If I felt lousy I'd quit and go back to low-fat, well, I never felt better, and I'll never go back. I slip up occasionally but I now feel physically ill when I eat something with a lot of carbs.

So, my advice is to try this WOE out and see the difference for yourself.
  • Thanks Diane!! I have read about the other benefits aside from losing weight - more energy, less mental fog etc. Right now I am definetly going through withdrawal symptoms, i.e. headache, body ache, irritated, etc. I can't wait for the "good stuff" to start. Can you tell me more?
  • Hello Tilly and welcome!

I started Atkins a couple of weeks ago--I was on CALP for 2 years but I found that the amount of carbs allowed on that plan wasn't working for me. Atkins has given me renewed energy, clear thinking (as opposed to the "carb fog" I always found myself in), and looser pants. I found that the first 3-4 days were a real struggle but this is how I got through it: eat as many low carb things as you can--get some recipes and make them! Eat as much as you want but make sure it is low carb! And most importantly, make sure you drink those 8 glasses of water--this will help flush out the carb toxins faster and help alleviate a lot of the side effects. You'll notice by day 4 you'll feel achy in your joints and cold--now is the time to incorporate a potassium/magnesium supplement to alleviate these symptoms. Give yourself some time to incorporate exercise into the mix (if you don't already) and focus on adjusting eating habits. It's really hard when you first learn something and you don't know if you're doing it right or not. Just keep coming back here for advise and support and we'll help you out!
  • Hi Tilly, (also my 94 year old Grandmothers name)

Welcome to 3fc. This is a great site with great people. I am not a low carber, but they tolerate me anyway Join the daily for a good laugh, a good cry, a good cup of coffee and some really great people.

-L
  • Tilly -

I'm going to make a list of some "side effects" that I've noticed through lowcarbing;

I sleep better.
    Chronic cough - gone.
    A lot less headaches.
    No more depression, I've stopped taking Prozac.
    My skin - oh my god, does my skin look great now.
    My hair and nails- growing like crazy.
    No more cravings for constant sugar. It used to be that I'd finish one meal and immediately start thinking about the next. Now, I can actually think of something besides my next sugar fix. Last weekend it was 2pm when I realized that I hadn't eaten anything all day. I've never done that.

Anyway, once you get past the cravings you will feel amazing. Even on Induction I allowed myself some LC sweets when I got the sugar cravings. I highly reccommend Carbo-lite products. (available at many fine drug stores, LOL I sound like a commercial) I thought I'd have a hard time with withdrawal from Coca-Cola, but I didn't this time. Every other time I'd given it up I got massive headaches, and the shakes. I allowed myself to have Diet Mt. Dew, then weanned myself from than onto Diet Sprite for a occasional change from water.
  • HI Tilly,
    I've been low carbing since the beginning of August. First, I tried Sommersizing, but I needed more structure, so I went into Atkins. I didn't realize how much sugar is in everything. My advice is to read all labels on everything, until you find the brands that are made without sugar. I guess they put sugar in everything to make it taste better, but who needs it?
    The longer you go without empty carbs (like sugar), the less you need them. I don't even want any now and I'm not at all tempted. I do buy a few Atkins Endulge bars for an occasional treat. I do drink an Atkins shake for breakfast, because I can't stand to eat in the morning, but I guess your suppose to.
    I take a lot better care of myself now than I use to. I take vitamins and supplements everyday. If your reading Dr. Atkins book, you'll see he is a big supporter of taking them. Like Pooky said, take potassium and magnesium, you'll be glad you did.
    I've lost 19 lbs. so far. I have a lot more to go. But I stay with this woe because I feel so good! I haven't had this much energy in 20 years. I use to have to take a nap in the afternoon, but no longer. Give it a week and you'll start to feel a lot better. Give it a month and you'll wonder why everyone isn't doing this.
    Good luck, Nikki
  • welcome, tilly... and as for the rest of you, my goodness, you're all a smart bunch!!!!!!

it's great to read how well you're doing.
  • Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback! I am doing ok today. The withdrawal headache has disappeared a bit.

I am tracking my food on Fitday. Still I am usually at 30 carbs per day, even with following the rules. I won't be able to follow the induction completely this weekend, as I am going down to Washington to see a friend and will want to party (with low carb wine of course). But otherwise I wll follow it. What I love about this is how easy it is to do, when you are buying food outside or at a restaurant.

I made the cheese crisp last night and all I can say is wow. I brought some to munch on the train going down to DC as I'll probably want a snack. Might pick up a slim jim as well.

Sunday will start induction with a vengeance. Veggie wise I'll probably stick with the lettuce family next week. Interestingly, I am craving salad sooo much. I was never a big salad fan before.

Last night for dinner I had egg salad on pork rinds. That satisfied my need for crunch and creamy together. I'm going to try to have fun with this!!

Hope you all have a good weekend.
  • Hey Tilly~
    Just wanted to jump in real quick and welcome you! Now after all these smart chicks - what else could I offer?

I am sooo looking forward to getting to know you and hope that you will just "thread jump", settle yourself in wherever comfortable and just chat, ask, comment or whatever. This is the most terrific bunch of chicks. I can't relay how knowledgeable they are tooooo much cause I don't want them to get a case of the "big head". But ssshhhhh-they really are pretty smart.

Welcome and best or luck!

J
  • so... here's MY question..
    which is better to have: a big head or big hair??????

could help myself!!!!
  • I'm not sure if I have a big head, but I have the 80's picutres to prove I have had BIG hair.