Amazing August

You're on Page 11 of 11
Go to
  • I am totally ready to start a new month...

Mel, sounds like you are feeling better, though maybe not after that WOD!

I think I am approaching the overtraining point and need a little break. My heart rate isn't recovering as fast as it usually does, and i am pretty achey all over. Blah.

to all!
  • Today's WOD was sucky

5 rounds of
    200 m run
    10 ring dips (I did ring jumps)
    10 burpees

Took me 21:22.

Also, we did 5x5 deadlifts. I did 138 lbs but should've did more.

After my hot shower when I came home. I really wanted to just go straight to bed
  • I did barbells today, but I am still sore from Friday's workout with the split squats. That really made me wonder what I'm doing this for (not for long, just a reaction to the muscle soreness...).

I did:

Bench press 55 pounds, 3 sets of 15 reps (still difficult to do)
    Row 55 pounds, 3 sets of 15 reps
    squats, 50 pounds, 3 sets of 15 reps
    good mornings, 50 pounds, 3 sets of 15 reps
    shoulder press, 25 pounds, 3 sets of 15 reps

I did the same routine last week, but this week we increased the reps from 12 to 15. Those exercises that require more legs are easier for me; the bench press and shoulder press are challenging but I can do them.

I also did 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer doing 45 second intervals, set at level 3 (whatever that might translate to). I normally do an aerobics class in the morning but I spent that time dealing with the VA to assist a family member. I'm happy to say that they were extremely helpful to my family.

Rhonda
  • Happy last day of August!!!
  • And indeed it is. Today is DS2's 7th birthday. My parents are visiting from Columbus today which is also wonderful. Looks like it's going to be a few more days before I see the inside of a gym.

Tejas: Just wanted to say it looks like your working with a great trainer. Your workouts look fantastic. And yes, split squats are loads of fun.
  • Thanks for that reflection on my workouts, Lydia. It's always good to have some validation; and critiques are welcome also.

7 years old, your son is. Well, what a great age that is. I hope he loves his party.

Today I've done 20 minutes of intervals on the elliptical, aquafit and leg presses (moderate weights of 180 pounds, 12 reps, 3 sets). That's all I plan to do.

Rhonda
  • Yesterday I did workout A, the 5th one in Stage 1 of NRoL4W.

It was a good work out, the amount of reps are getting lower but there are more sets so it's been a good time to increase my weights. For my squats I wish I had done a heavier weight. The gym was quite busy, I went later than normal so I could work out with my mom (and I got to show her some moves!)

It was a nice 20 minute walk to the gym, plus I warmed up with a 10 min walk on the treadmill.

I did 3 sets of 10 reps at 45 pounds for squats (I've done up to 65 before though)
    3 sets of 10 push ups (I can almost do a push up that isn't so pathetic I have to do it some discreet area of the gym)
    Seated row, first set I did 10 reps at 80lbs, then 10 at 100lbs, for the last set there were no cable stations available so I did 10 single armed rows on each side with 20lbs weights.
    I finished alternating 2 sets of 10 step up's with 20lb weights in my hands and 15 prone jackknifes.

I was supposed to do an extra set of each but I started getting pain in my stomach, I got cross contaminated with some gluten and ended up having to go home a bit earlier.

I've been practicing some kettlebell moves today, but it's not officially a work out day.
  • Stephanie, do you have Celiacs? My son and I were misdiagnosed with it 5 years ago and for 4 years we lived a gluten free life. We thought he kept getting "glutened" because he kept getting sick. It's tough. Sounds like you had a good workout, tho.
  • Todays WOD was:
    7 rounds of
    7 wallballs
    7 pullups (I did jumping pullups)
    7 burpees

Let me say this, if there is anything worse than burpees and running in the same workout, it is burpees and wallballs. UGH.

I also hate to admit it but my shoulder has been bothering me for a few months now. I haven't really done anything about it but I guess I'll start taking care of it.
  • Mel, I haven't been officially diagnosed. I had been feeling sick for ages and didn't know why, I couldn't digest food properlly and I had a constant upset stomach. My friend was having similar issues but had negative blood test results and decided to go off gluten and it has helped him a lot. His mom has it as well.

My blood tests stated I didn't have it so I suspect I just have an intolerance instead of a allergy. I talked to my mom about it and she's been having similar problems. I've been gluten free since April and I don't have stomach issues anymore. I ate some chinese food yesterday which I know I shouldn't have because soy sauce has wheat in it and they put that in almost everything.

I'm hoping if I'm just intolerant that one day I'll be able to eat gluten again.