Primal/Paleo-ish in August

You're on Page 8 of 23
Go to
  • Good morning everyone. Welcome to all the new ones that I have not had a chance to say hello to. Its great to see the thread take off like it has, gives me alot to read when I make it on.

I too have not been very good at eating primal. I found I have a much easier time eating primal when DH is not home. Friday I had a parent interview so by the time it was done DS asked what was for dinner. I had not even thought about it I was more worried about being ready for the interview so DH ordered a pizza. Yesterday we had a wedding. I did do better. I took a cupcake at the wedding but only ate 1/2 of it cuz it was really rich.
  • New to this site, but have been doing Paleo for about 35 days. I'm also in the OnRamp program of CrossFit. I have never worked so hard! I thought this may be a good support group for me.
  • Daley Like I said the more the merrier, we luvs newbies here

A half a** primal day... Only one week of vacation left, I'm looking forward to getting back to a routine... I did make it to the gym this morning it felt really good...
  • Good morning!

Yes! We do welcome all newcomers! It's great to see you here.

Yesterday was my day for crap. Potato chips, peanuts, candy, lite beer. Picnic at the neighbours'. It was fun.

I got a nice little bit of walking in this weekend and some elliptical.

I've got no eggs this morning. I'm not sure how I let that happen. Bacon and eggs for breakfast has become a staple for me. I think I'll try fruit and creamed coconut and still take my coffee shake to work.
    Beef roast is in the crockpot.

Hmmm and now it 3:30 in the morning. Might be a long day.
  • Morning everyone...so much action on this board....it's great!

Welcome new comers (though i'm kinda new myself).

Bob, I worried about putting pressure on you at one point....your weight loss is just so exciting as is your dedication to this way of life. Guess I'll start to quietly cheer and stop living vicariously through you. (hehe)

And yes I agree SusanB and Ilene are inspirational women.

So I did terrible traveling in the car.....constant snacking and eating and drinking. I'm bloated beyond recognition....well maybe not that bad but I feel crappy. I finally got a print copy of PB (my kindle version is just too hard to read) and I'm going to start focusing on the exercise. I understand the food options and have come to really enjoy them. I cheat WAY too much (more like 50/50) and I'm going to be better about that. But I need to start focusing on the exercise too.

Well have a good Monday all. Going to make a good curry for dinner. I think the ingedients are all primal but I'm not sure what to serve it over. Any suggestions? I'll make rice for DH but I want to do my best not to eat any of it.
  • I think I need to eat a pig...
    Unfortunately, farmers don't raise nice fatty pigs anymore.

Hi all,

My numbers yesterday (myPlate) were:

Cal: 990
    Fat: 66 g
    Carbs: 50g
    Protein: 55g

I haven't lost anything but it might be because I spent all weekend with my butt in a chair reading the Primal posts from April on. What a terrific journey you all have been on. Found some great links and the Cholesterol explanation made my day. Remember my doctor worries about my arteries

I think my calories are too low (haven't got the book yet) but I just did not have any fatty meat in the house. I have turkey this and turkey that. Grass-fed beef which I guess I will have to dip in butter to up the ante.
    I just cannot figure out how tiny little Susan gets all that protein and fat in her. My metabolism must really be shot. Because I am eating very little as I'm not hungry. Nothing after 6pm as well. I gotta let lose

I am going for my morning walk and then I am going to take a nice long bubble bath and get up the nerve to take my measurements. Yikes!

Hugs,
    Sparky

PS - I, too, wait for Bob.....
  • Bad news. It looks like I pushed too hard. Saturday night, actually about 3am Sunday, I woke up with excruciating pain in my bad toe (left big toe). I've written in past month's about my various recurring injuries. Tendinitis in my toe is the worst of them. It has been under control lately and walking hasn't aggravated it like more intense workouts. But it was literally killing me at 3am. I was moaning in pain trying to figure out what I did to it. For a minute I was sure my toe was fractured. Then I realized that was impossible. It happened in my sleep. I thought maybe I got bit by a nasty spider or something (Brown Recluse and Black Widow are common out here).

Long story short. I have gout. Monday morning and I still cannot put any weight on it. I have been treating it, reading and researching on it for about 24 of the last 30 hours. I still cannot put a sock on it let alone any weight. I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance from years of dealing with my back, but this is ridiculous. I'm eating ibuprofen (too much) and it helps it be tolerable when elevated and at rest, but not when I move. Ouch.

There's a lot of accusations that low carb diets cause gout. They could. It's a high uric acid issue. But the more I read, I became convinced it was the crash dieting (fasting) that brought this on. Fasting causes uric acid to rise through dehydration. A double dose of uric acid is then created by the burning of fat cells I have been so excited about. The kidneys can't keep up by excreting all the uric acid. The surplus coursing through the veins then forms nasty barbed crystals that anchor in joints and... pain.

Once you have it, you always have it. It's listed as a disease. Nice. I'm pretty pissed about that. There's wild differentiation in the opinions of what foods to eat and avoid, but it is agreed that, like diabetes and metabolic syndrome (my other worries), it can be controlled through diet. I'm convinced Primal Blueprint is a good diet for gout control, even though some would argue it caused the gout. It didn't. Accelerated weight loss explains my case quite accurately. I need to focus on alkaline and alkalizing foods. No refined sugars, no refined grains (haha), but also no organ meats and sardines, and an interesting debated list of foods from there.

I'm not good at losing weight slowly. It bores me. But I have to be smart about this. I've been planning a major battle for August since May because I knew there was a brick wall of a plateau around this weight. Apparently, I had no idea just how prepared my body was to defend its fat ***.

Good morning everyone.
  • Sorry to hear that Bob. Be careful with the amount of ibuprofen that you take. I know if you take so much in a certain time frame or even days on end it will mess with your stomach.
  • Bob: So sorry to hear that! But how nice of your body to let you get 3 great months in before it let gout raise its ugly head. I hear you about slow weight loss being boring and discouraging (oh wait, you did not say discouraging, I DID!) But the time was soon coming to slow down some, a month earlier than you wanted, but I have faith that you can take this is stride, with the great positive attitude you have. I am a person that believes in prayer, and I am praying for ya buddy!
  • Bob, I am so sorry.

You amaze me....how you research this stuff and make sense of it in such a short amount of time. I totally get your "slow weight loss bores me". I know you want this so much.

Thank you for educating us with your research and wisdom.
    Sparky
  • So yesterday was the first formal day in the life of a caveman.
    B- 3 eggs, 1/4 c cheese, zucchini and tomato scrambled with a pat o' butter
    Snack- nectarine and cashews (know it is a less- beneficial fruit, but I have some I need to use
    Dinner-- 10 ounce steak, fried cabbage, rainbow chard with bacon and onions, and a topping for my steak made from a super hot fresh salsa we made mashed into an avacado....sqeezed fresh lime onto all...delightful!
    Snack-- frozen blueberries and strawberries with 3 TBL cream

SO my cals were higher than I planned, but my carbs were right on target!
    1684 cals
    111 fat grm 62%
    50 carbs 11%
    113 protien 28%

So I feel pretty good about that, I was hungry alot during the day--but I contribute that to being home all day (unusual) and reading the Primal book all day and focusing on food!

Today though---not impressed with myself, I woke up at the last minute, and did not pack my lunch or eat breakfast.....my first IF I guess LOL Maybe I will get out of here for a few minutes to grab my salad, but I need to get some protien to put on it.

Pork chops for dinner, zucchini and patty pan squash cooked in butter, fresh garlic n onion, and fresh basil, with tomato tossed in at the last minute
  • Welcome to all the new faces!

Bob- poor guy! Just an obstacle, I'm sure you'll come out fine on the other side. You are one determined individual!

So I made it to the gym finally this morning. I did my Crossfit routine, I had plenty of looks at the gym since most people stay on the treadmill/elliptical for the usual 45 min then do their weights, I was on the treadmill for 400m, then to the weights, then to the treadmill...at least the new me doesn't care what people think, I know this workout works so I just do my thing and let them do theirs.
    I have some kind of problem holding egg cartons, not sure why but I consistently break eggs! Whats the deal, even when I try not to. I bought 5 dozen last week and then broke 1.5 dozen 2 nights ago.
    So I had 4 strips of bacon and 2 eggs in coconut oil for breakfast today, I'm skipping lunch and having an early dinner of pork chop and collards. I think I could eat collards every day of my life if my husband would tolerate it.

Have a great Primal or Paleo day everyone!
  • Like my new avatar? huh huhh? Pretty hot I am!
    Just in case you wondered, I am Wilma, Betty has a better body, but she is a little too ditzy for me!
    I have my picture I want to upload, but it wont take it for nuthin! Frustrating, so I figured hot cavewoman was in store!
  • Hi everyone ... just wanted to let you know I'll be out of "computer-range" for a couple of weeks in Europe so if you could send a few thoughts my way so I stay on plan, it would be appreciated.

You all might remember I was hoping to get to 199 for the wedding (not mine, my nephew's), which is this Sat. I've made it down to 202 so there is a slim (nice word!) possibility of me getting hitting 199 in the next few days. Don't know if they'll have scales where I'm going, but I'm happy I'm so close. It would be nice to come back to the US in Onederland.

Usually on trips, my goal is to not gain weight. This time I'll try to continue to lose.

Bob, sorry about the gout. A girlfriend of mine had it in her 20's and I don't think it has ever recurred, so there is hope. (She's in her 50's now.)

Thanks, everyone -- old and new -- for being on this thread. It makes me feel grounded. CJ
  • Monday.....

Bob I thought I just read something about gout being affected very little by diet. It was in some online notes from Good Calories Bad Calories. Here is the link:
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/10/05/gout/

Meanwhile, walk softly!

I am in a rough patch today. I haven't slept in over 24 hours and am feeling totally ragged--a side effect of menopause, I have learned. No earthly idea how I got through my workday, but it's just a few minutes to quitting time. Whew! I barely ate anything and was dressed this morning before I weighed in. I was too dang tired to strip down and weigh myself, so I guess it'll wait until tomorrow. Now all I have to do is pick up my son from daycare, get him fed, and crash!

Hoping for a good night's sleep--my best to all!

Spanky