Primal/Paleo-ish in August

You're on Page 4 of 23
Go to
  • SUCKED IN---and I am not talking about my stomach in order to get my jeans zipped!

I took a break (at work) about 3 hours ago and just now stopped reading forums, blogs, and 3FC about Primal and Paleon! I only stopped right now because it is time to go home!

This may be what I need, I have been watching calories and fat for over a month now and lost 3 pounds WHOOO WHHHOOO NOT~ I have done so much damage to my system in the past with yo-yo weights, diets, starving, etc.....this may be it. Certainly worth a 30 day try! I will be combining this with Becks (Cognitive Therapy) since my brain is afflicted with 'stinkin thinkin'.

I am excited! Thanks for all your posts, many spoke to my aching heart, and gave me hope.

More reading tonight, running it by DH, who will LOVE the idea, he loves his meat, his butter, etc. And this will be good for DD, she is only 30 pounds lighter than me, at 14 years old, so sad. First focus will be NO sugar, we have cut down quite a bit, but more cutting will be done (slashing! not cutting)
  • Sara and Mikki -- Welcome! Primal/paleo is a wonderfully healthy lifestyle to follow.

Bob -- ok, I'll play. I say 294... when do we find out??

Everyone else -- I hurt my back yesterday (moving a couch that we sold on craigslist), and today didn't have much appetite (yay, a chance to IF). I didn't eat until about 7pm tonight and had a delicious dinner of 2 eggs, spicy sausage crumbled and browned, diced garden tomato and steamed brocoli -- all of this chopped together in a bowl with about a 1/4 c. cheese over it... YUM.

I couldn't exercise because of my back, but I hope to be back into the swing of things tomorrow.

Lots of good and informational conversation on here. I am plugging away still (on page 100 or so) on Good Calories, Bad Calories (Taubes) and am just amazed at the lies/distortions we've been fed (no pun intended).

Looking forward to reading and learning more and more... keep it coming.
  • Hi Mikkijoe! We're gathering up a nice crowd here! That makes me happy.

There was not a lick of meat or cheese in the kitchen when I got home tonight. So I had an apple with creamed coconut. Yum! Best get something out of the freezer for morning. I've been very hungry in the mornings lately.
    I wish I could say that I exercised today, but I didn't. Walked for the mail and that's all.
  • I'm home. I'll see the doc on my lunch break tomorrow around 12:30 pst and post asap.

I think this trip may have set me back. I'm good at keeping it primal, but lousy with portion control. This is partly why intermittent fasting helps me. When I eat, I really eat. My hope at this point is to be under 300. :fingerscrossed:

I will be shocked if I make my 100 pound goal in 4 months. I once did this research and presentation on goal setting and came away believing it was best to set lofty goals, even short term. It was called Shoot for the Stars, Settle for the Moon.

Hi MikkiJoe! Please commit for two months, not one. The first month of low carbing can involve some very difficult hurdles -- your body/liver transitions from burning glucose (carbs) to burning ketones (fats), many go through sugar and or starch withdrawals, even more experience flu like symptoms. Once it all passes, you get a surge of energy and things get much easier. Your health markers improve and hopefully the weight starts coming off. If I based everything on that first month, yuck. But many also experience a huge water loss very fast. This is good weight to drop, imo, and helps keep you encouraged when things are a little edgy.
  • Hi all you new people! I have a lot of reading to catch up on!

I've been having a round of headaches and fatigue .....that time of the month (sorry if that is TMI but like clockwork I get sick like this one week out of the month). Have not been eating well and that makes things worse. Haven't weighed myself nor measured.

We are going to Philly tomorrow to see my stepdaughter's new home. My son is so excited to see his sister (he's 5 and she's 28!). I think I will eat very primal. That is one thing i like about this kind of eating.....it's pretty easy to in restuarants....

Can't wait to finally see how Bob did!
  • ALright Bob, I'm saying 297! Can't wait.

MikkiJoe, congrats! I am with you, this may be the end of the road for you...I tried EVERYTHING before this and then I started really researching and thought, this is what I need and boy has it changed my life. I already ate healthy according to government recommendations but once I started eating like this the weight started falling off and my body has been transforming. Even when I don't lose much my body is less fatty looking and my muscles are more defined. My hubby is like yours, when I introduced this to him, he was excited that I was willing to eat meat and butter again instead of my typical low-fat, low-cal, high grain dieting. Stick with it and feel free to ask anything! I started at the below link and read tons of info to get me started since I didn't have the book at the time, and it a great site that is amazingly free considering all the info. Glad to have another newcomer!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com

NSV for me yesterday. I have a pair of jeans that are big in my waist since doing this, but my belt was still fitting, yesterday I put the belt on and had to add hole 2 inches from the last hole. So exciting! When winter comes I'm gonna be up a creek with no clothes! Good thing it stays warm until the end of October.

Have a great day everybody!
  • to the newbies and

Boib -- 295 ... does the one closest to the number without going over win a prize, a grass fed steak?

Off to Ottawa today with DD and a friend..... TTFN....
  • Okay, so I've been reading about this eating plan and I think I like it. I decided to start trying today. I know I'm in for a struggle because carbs were a big chunck of diet. But so far today I think I've done well. This is what I ate.

Breakfast- Coffee with one packet of splenda and 2 T creamer
    Taco salad with 6 oz. seasoned ground beef, 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1/4 cup 2% cheese ( all I had on hand), and 2 T salsa

Snack- 1.5 oz. pecans tossed in pumpkin pie spice

I really need to get the book to know if I'm doing okay I guess!
  • Bob; Thanks for the tip about going to 2 months before throwing in the towel. That makes sence and I REALLY appreciate the scientific approach to explainations, that speaks to me. I am a meat and potatoes type of person when it comes to conversation. "Just give me the facts, mam' Said in my best Dragnet impression (for those of you old enough to remember Dragnet!
  • Hi LLH2010! Welcome!
    Aren't you cute!

Here's a link that will help you with the basics until you get a chance to read the book. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

I remember Dragnet!
  • Thank you! That website was very helpful, and it explained why I am so tired today!
  • Ok, this is going to be totally weird, but I've been a lurker on ya'll's threads since May, and for some reason, I really wanted to post this today.

I'm not able (willing) to adopt the primal/paleo stuff and calorie counting's worked well for me, but I just wanted to stop by and say that you all are SO fun to read! I've not been posting on 3fc in a couple of months, but I stop by every couple of days and the only thing I read is your thread (you guys are kind of like celebrities to me lol). I'm even waiting on pins and needles for Bob's weigh in!

Anywho, I just wanted you all to know that I'm not even paleo and I love your thread!!

My bet in the pool is 296!!
  • That cracks me up, thanks for the smile today! I just jumped in yesterday, after much research, and I too wanted to throw a number in the pot
  • I feel like chanting "Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob!"

Did any of you ever read "Change your Brain, Change your Body" by Dr. Amen??? I just watched part of a special he had on tv and it was interesting.....
  • Our Brain has ALOT to do with our weight loss success!
    I am currently going through Beck Diet Solution, Cognitive Therepy that teaches you to "think like a thin person' HUGE for me.