What's a featherweight?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I never really poked around here much because I figured I don't belong in featherweights, but there seems to be a pretty big range of types here. So what defines a featherweight? Amount to lose? Goal weight?
  • Well, one way to tell is this: do you get grief posting on the other forums because you are small? Then you are a featherweight. )

Seriously though, I think featherweights are at a healthy weight for their height and body type and either want to lose some "vanity pounds" or they are maintaining.
  • Quote:

Well, one way to tell is this: do you get grief posting on the other forums because you are small? Then you are a featherweight. )

Seriously though, I think featherweights are at a healthy weight for their height and body type and either want to lose some "vanity pounds" or they are maintaining.
    Well then maybe I do belong here I'm at the tippy top of my ideal weight range and I'm getting a little flack for wanting to lose another 5-10lbs to see if my belly will shrink a little more. I think part of my problem is that I've just reached my goal and my posts probably come off as if I'm completely insecure, but this really isn't the issue. I just don't feel comfortable this close to 150 especially during TOM and/or over indulgence fluctuations. Good to know there's somewhere I can come.
  • I truly do feel that our perception of size is skewed because the population as a whole has gotten much larger than it once was. To me there is nothing strange at all in your desire to lose another handful of pounds, if that weight would be sustainable for you.
  • I agree, Petite Powerhouse. Have you seen the BMI project? I woudl say most people are overweight or obese, and we accuse normal-sized folks of being anorexic.
  • Ncuneo! I think you're right at home here!
  • Ncuneo, I've been mostly lurking on this board myself, wondering if/when I belong here. I still have about 16 pounds to lose, and some of the ladies on this board STARTED OUT at less than I currently weigh after 6 months of dieting. On the other hand, I am now officially in the "normal BMI" weight range for my height and wear a size 6, so I definitely feel a little vain on some of the other boards, where many women are working so hard to get under the 200 mark. I too have thought your question, so I'm glad you posted it.
  • Here's the official welcome to Featherweights.
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/feat...erweights.html

We have both those who need to lose a few pounds and those who have lost some and need to lose a few more.
  • Quote: Well then maybe I do belong here I'm at the tippy top of my ideal weight range and I'm getting a little flack for wanting to lose another 5-10lbs to see if my belly will shrink a little more. I think part of my problem is that I've just reached my goal and my posts probably come off as if I'm completely insecure, but this really isn't the issue. I just don't feel comfortable this close to 150 especially during TOM and/or over indulgence fluctuations. Good to know there's somewhere I can come.
    Yep sounds like you're a Feather ...
  • Ncuneo, welcome! How nice to have you here! I always enjoy reading your posts.

Yep, folks saying "you're thin already, or where would you lose it from?" I look at them and think, hmmmm, "you could lose some yourself." Being slim is no longer the norm.

I've been at 3fc three weeks now, seems like much longer, as this forum is such a mainstay of support for me. I found the forum because I knew I needed some support to keep going. In those three weeks, I've enjoyed that support, and have shed seven pounds. I'm actually starting to feel more like a Feather! I have found more places on the web which are also helpful, and read a good bit each day on metabolism, chemical structure of foods, etc. It's all been what I've needed.

How nice it is to know I can enjoy living more cleanly and still keeping working towards getting sleeker, even when others live very differently.

Thank you all for being here and being so kind!
  • Quote: Well, one way to tell is this: do you get grief posting on the other forums because you are small? Then you are a featherweight. )

I have been getting a bit of flack lately cuz I am complaining about 10lbs to go! Guess I will have to start posting in this forum regularly.
  • Quote: I have been getting a bit of flack lately cuz I am complaining about 10lbs to go! Guess I will have to start posting in this forum regularly.
    Yep, exactly! I started feeling weird in some of the other forums. I like it here. No one gives you crap if you mention wanting to adjust your goal a little lower.

At any rate, congrats, SlimCB! You have done so well and gotten so close! You've worked your plan well and deserve to enjoy the pay-off.
  • Quote: I have been getting a bit of flack lately cuz I am complaining about 10lbs to go! Guess I will have to start posting in this forum regularly.
    Really? I have made myself feel weird, but no one else has made me feel that way at all. I still post regularly in the 100 pound club. People are nothing but encouraging there no matter the size. People will openly say they are jealous, but always in a kind way! And I understand. I have been there.

I still don't feel like I quite belong here. I didn't think I'd hit that "last 10" so soon. I have 10 to go to normal weight and I WANT to get 10 more besides. Wanting to lose 20 pounds doesn't make me feel very feathery.
  • Quote: Really? I have made myself feel weird, but no one else has made me feel that way at all. I still post regularly in the 100 pound club. People are nothing but encouraging there no matter the size. People will openly say they are jealous, but always in a kind way! And I understand. I have been there.

I still don't feel like I quite belong here. I didn't think I'd hit that "last 10" so soon. I have 10 to go to normal weight and I WANT to get 10 more besides. Wanting to lose 20 pounds doesn't make me feel very feathery.
    Don't worry, I don't feel feathery either. When I look in the feathers forum, I see persons who are 5'5" and 115 lbs. There is no way 115lbs would look good on my 5'8" frame but a part of me still feels heavy.
  • You def belong here, welcome

I really appreciate this sub-forum, it is a great place to post questions or support for something that may seem silly or trivial to someone with quite a bit of weight to lose. Everyone here understand there is a new set of challenges, frustrations, etc that are specific to being at/near your goal weight and losing the last few or maintaining.