Treadmill in an Apt/Condo?

• I was wondering if anyone has experience with having a treadmill in an apartment or condo where people are below you.

Are there certain brands that are made for this or less noisy? I've tried to research this online but I can't find very much info. I see a lot of people say it's a very bad idea, and others say that they have one and the neighbors say they don't even hear it.

I suppose it depends on the building and if you have carpet or not and perhaps the model and how fast you run.

I would love to get one some day, as I would be able to spend a lot more time on it then I can now when walking or driving to the gym cuts into my work out time.

Thanks!
  • You can get one of those rubber mats to put under your treadmill to lessen the impact. I would suggest not using it late at night- the people I know who live in apartments usually refrain from going on too early in the morning or too late at night.
  • I would love to have my own treadmill but do think it would be too noisy; even with a mat underneath. I would be really upset if I bought one; then got noise complaints and couldn't use it!
  • I have a treadmill in my third floor apartment. It's a pretty cheap model. I have it on those rubber mats, on top of carpet. My neighbors have never complained, and I checked with my apartment manager before I bought it.