Maintainers weekly chat - July 12 - July 18

You're on Page 1 of 7
Go to
  • We continue to celebrate that Grandma Meg has a grandchild to dote over.

I discovered that I could watch the world soccer match without the temptation of munchies by riding my bicycle from location to location that has a publicly viewable TV, LOL. That worked, and I had the bonus of watching with a crowd of strangers yelling in Spanish in a serious manner suggesting that the outcome mattered.
  • Good Morning!
    What a clever idea about the soccer Bill! I catch glimpses of games on an outdoor set at a pub as I walk one group of dogs to the beach and back. There was a goal scored one day and the patio crowd's cheers startled the dogs so much I had to cross the street to get them past the patio.

Meg Hope you're having a great visit with your daughter and the baby!

My scale briefly flickered at 133.8 this morning : before settling on 134. I haven't seen 133 since sometime in Sept. of 2008!

I'm digging in and really going for goal. I can do this.

Great Monday all!

Dagmar
  • I am headed out to Wyoming this morning. I'll be off the grid, so I'll see you here next week.
  • Good morning everyones.

BILL: love your idea, we watched the game at home .... not chips

Meg: enjoy the baby , the grow really fast.

Mudpie: I just notice that you are from Toronto , I live around weston and 401. Yes you can .......

As for me my first week into maintenance was good , the little calendar I made and put on the fridge was the perfect motivation i was looking for. I did exercise 6 day out of 7. I drink all my water , take my vitamin, It was perfect ..... having to write down and seen my progress was just what i need .

Now i do relay want to run a 5k, like 3 weeks ago i was running 5k on mornings , so i just wondering should i try something more challenging like a 10k or just do the 5k first, running was one of my no scale goal and so running a 5k.

Have a great day everyone.
  • Good morning everyone!

Bill, that was a great idea for watching the world cup!

Dagmar, you're doing great!

Wendy, whatever run you plan to do, just make sure you follow a plan to train for it so you don't get injured.

I hate a good weekend. DH and I went to Cincinnati overnight so that we could do a test run with our dog sitter. Things went great with the sitter! Well, based on what I was afraid would happen anyway. DH and were only half-joking when we were driving home and said, "I hope we don't find a dead body in our front hallway." The sitter left us a nice long note. She said when she came in for his dinner visit she just went and sat on the stairs and waited for Carter to calm down and come to her. She said he growled at her for about 15 minutes, then eventually came over to her. They took a brief walk up the street and back and she let him out and fed him his dinner, which he ate after being skeptical for a while. She had to leave for a bedtime visit with another dog but when she came back he only barked a couple times and then was fine with her, and the next morning he was begging to be petted and was perfectly happy.

Meanwhile, DH and I had fun in Cincinnati although I wish I had had some more time there. It's only 2.5 hours away though so we can go back any time, even for a day trip. We went to the art museum (very nice), the opera, and the zoo. The Cincinnati zoo has manatees!! I had never seen a real live manatee before. They also had this crazy gigantic freshwater turtle that I guess lives throughout the south. And my favorites, gorillas and orangutans (they even had bonobos). I got in my swim workout in the hotel pool and DH went on a run downtown. Our hotel actually had a pocket running map with 5 and 3 mile routes described on it, so he only got a little lost (as usual -- he finally showed up right when I was getting ready to get the car and go look for him, thinking he had passed out from dehydration somewhere along the way...).

I ate too much junk this weekend, that is a fact. I had one of those "I'm entitled to eat junk" moments at lunchtime Saturday since Saturday morning my HRM told me that my brick workout burned 1200 calories (ordered biscuits and gravy). Didn't do much better Saturday night (Indian food) or Sunday lunch (chili cheese fries), then when we got home I was hungry at the grocery store and bought us single-serve cheesecake. This week will be healthy week though since I have my triathlon on Saturday.

Saturday should be interesting. My plan is to get to the park for the triathlon between 6:30 and 7:00. Tri starts at 8:00, so given that I'll be at the back of the swim waves I should be done by 10:30 at the latest. Then home to shower, lunch, and at 1:00 I have an appointment to get my hair highlighted. Saturday night we're thinking of going to the outdoor symphony which is doing a scifi spectacular show (with special guest George Takei!), so I will probably take a nice long nap all afternoon.
  • Sadness... my post got lost...

Good morning all!

Bill - great way to watch the cup! Sounds fun.

Damar - you can totally do this! You rock!

Ward - Enjoy your trip, be safe.

Wendy - I would suggest start with a 5k race even if you are comfortably running 5k distances. The race environment is totally different from a solo run! I bet you will love it, though.

Jessica - glad your weekend went well. I am so jealous of the scifi spectacular! I love George Takei, he is so much fun. I hate it when I see the large calorie burn from a workout and then feel like I'm 'entitled to snacks'. Doesn't sound like you did too bad with it though.

I have been looking at my eating and exercise plan over the last couple of months and it is amazing how different I feel after just a couple of months. I've eaten too much junk, not enough protein, too many simple carbs, haven't exercised enough. I feel tired, don't have any energy, feel like my zip is just flat. I was perfectly happy at the end of April, now halfway into July I'm flat. I have to stop - can't keep saying 'next month will be better'....

Good day everyone!
  • Jessica, so I read your plans for your tri and basically surmised your plan: “Well I’ll do this little triathlon before my lunch date and having my hair done.” So cool that you have all day plans. I hope it goes well. And that Carter did well with the dogsitter is great. That’s got to put your mind at ease.

Wendy, congratulations on your maintenance plan/goals working so well for you. If I were in your place, I’d keep working on improving your 5K and do a 5K race, then work towards a 10K. But as I’m not a racer, my opinion probably shouldn’t count for much.

Ward, have a great trip at the dude ranch!

Dagmar, isn’t it awesome when that new number flicks on the scale, even if it is briefly? You’ll get it permanently this week. I just bet you will!

Bill, what an interesting way to watch the world cup match. You used cals instead of consuming them. Very inventive.

Shannon, good luck on stopping the food poison and feeling better. I can stop it for a few days than get that awful, I deserve the snack since I exercised XX amount of calories. Doesn't matter if I pre-burned the calories, I still feel yucky from the junk food. Will I ever learn?

I hate Mondays. I think I will leave it at that.
    Marie
  • Waving to Martha
    Quote: The Cincinnati zoo has manatees!!
    And it has the bronze stature of Martha, the last Carrier Pigeon. Tell me you petted Martha.
  • Bill, I didn't see the statue of Martha, but I went into the shrine and saw her and the last Carolina Parakeet taxidermied in their plexiglass coffins. I have to say, it was kind of weird how they put them in there laying on their backs in repose -- usually taxidermied birds look like they're flying, not like they're, well, dead.
  • Marie-- hope you make it through your Monday!

Shannon-- you can do it! Why don't you just focus on this week and see how it goes. See how well you feel and go from there. You can do it!

Jessica-- good luck with your tri! Glad you had fun on your trip and that Carter did well. Sounds like you got a great dogsitter. Glad she wasn't put off by him growling at her. I pet sat for years and I don't think I ever had a dog that growled at me. I did have some that were hard to give pills to, but they usually liked me otherwise. When I worked for vets though-- that is another story. Plenty of dogs (and cats) wanted to eat my lunch!

Wendy-- glad your week went well. I agree about the 5K. I've done a couple of 5K's and they are much different than running solo. I would try one or two first and then go from there.

Ward-- can't wait to hear about your dude ranch! Have fun!!!

Dagmar-- that is so exciting that you are so close to goal! Wow! You haven't been this low in almost 2 years! Are you planning a special reward for when you get to goal? That might motivate you to stay focused!!

Bill-- great idea to escape the munchies! We actually went to high tea yesterday (dh and myself) during the World Cup. There was a bar next to the restaurant and when the fans started yelling, several of the men jumped up from high tea and went to check the scores! My dh stayed put.

My younger dd left yesterday to go to a camp. She is a counselor in training. She was so nervous and anxious but she sent a positive text last night so I can relax now. It will just be dh and me until Saturday! So dh and I went to high tea in San Francisco yesterday and it was amazing. Totally off my food plan but delish!!!! Strangely, the scale was 123.6 this morning. I haven't seen 123 since I returned from Houston over a week ago so I'll take it. I'm going to be extra good this week. Dh wants to go to a favorite Italian restaurant Friday so I better be good. I'm planning on weighing in at WW on Saturday so I better have some wiggle room!

This week will be a week to catch up on things. I need to clean/organize my house, work on my class, run errands, etc. Unfortunately I woke up with a very sore neck-- it hurts to turn so I must have slept on it funny. I'm hoping it feels better so I can go to boxing boot camp tonight. It's my favorite class but I haven't been in almost a month due to my trip and last week being a holiday.

Have a great week everyone!!!
  • Good morning all! Just a quick stop to say hi as work is quite demanding today.
  • Had a great great weekend at our state square dance festival. I danced every day Th-Sun, and twice on Sat and Sun. My legs are sore. I'm thinking of swapping my LB and UB workouts so the legs get a day's rest.

We have painters at our house this week, painting the outside. Eeery as they are currently covering all my windows with plastic. So glad we hired them though instead of DH trying to do it all himself. that it doesn't rain for a few days. We're having it done the same color - country blue - so no dramatic changes, just no more flaking or bleached out places.
  • Bill, what a fun way to watch the soccer game! Boise has a big Basque population so there was a lot of celebrating here.

Dagmar, congrats on seeing that scale number.

Wendy, glad things are going well for you in maintenance.

Jessica, that sounds like a pretty ambitious Saturday. Just do my triathlon then highlight my hair. . . I guess training helps because I'd probably be on the couch for the afternoon following a tri, not at a salon. That's great that Carter did so well with the sitter after a somewhat rocky start, which is probably normal.

Shannon, today is another day and a chance to eat clean. That's what I tell myself. I've been upping my protein per drs. orders and noticed on Sunday when I ate a veggie burger and a small fruit salad that I was incredibly hungry after about two hours. I'm thinking what the heck? But veggie burgers don't have much protein really and the fruit has a lot of sugar.

Marie, hope Tuesday will be better.

Michele, high tea, how cool! Did you wear a queenly hat? When I was 16 I was a counselor-in-training. It was fun--sounds like your DD is going to have a good time, too. And being a camp counselor is a great summer job while going to college.

Pat, definitely give those legs a rest. We quit doing exterior painting with our last house, and we quit fence building, too. And deck building--never going to do that again either. This year we demolished our kitchen ourselves (someone else put it back together), which is another thing we'll never do again.

I've been working in my yard almost every day for a couple of hours each morning. By about 11:00 am it's too hot (for me at least). I was hauling and shoveling, which is pretty aerobic and strength building. Of course, I took it too far and tweaked my lower back. Ouch. But I got more rubble moved out of the corner, more sand and rock dug up and I think in a couple of years it will look pretty good. If anyone is thinking of buying a house with an existing yard, be sure to walk every corner of it before you buy--people do strange things when selling a house.
  • Sheila - in the last few years, we had a lot of instances of builders here who toss trash into holes in the yard, then fill a light layer of dirt over it and top with sod. After a few years of rain and ice the yard collapses. In some more extreme cases the trash was tossed under the foundation. Ick.

Pat - professionals much better than trying to paint yourself.

Michele - high tea, fun! Enjoy your week with DH.

I am clean so far today with the food. Woo hoo.
  • Quote: Bill, I didn't see the statue of Martha, but I went into the shrine and saw her and the last Carolina Parakeet taxidermied in their plexiglass coffins. I have to say, it was kind of weird how they put them in there laying on their backs in repose -- usually taxidermied birds look like they're flying, not like they're, well, dead.
    I think posing them as dead birds may have been the point - we exterminated both types of bird.

Dagmar (manatees - cool!)