Maintainers weekly chat - July 5 - July 11

You're on Page 2 of 7
Go to
  • Good morning!

Still a little sore & tired today, thinking about some yoga and light strength training when I get home but otherwise planning to take it easy. I weigh the same today that I did last Monday, so I don't feel too bad. Made it the entire weekend without ice cream. Whew.

Allison - wow, i had no idea you couldn't tell the gender for so long. Interesting. Maybe the blue eyes will stick! Sorry DD left, glad you had a good visit though!

Michele - your DD has had some weight resentment issues for a while, has it gotten any better or is she just standing in place? Still have the boyfriend overseas? I hope that she works it out with herself while she is young enough not to have the struggle that so many of us had. I know it is hard for you, too. You can always run on the beach - I know a lot of people who do it, down on the harder packed sand. It will feel different, so might take some adjustment for your ankles and shins.

Dagmar - emergency diet? I don't fully understand how that will keep him from having a hernia before his exam? But hey, it helps you with your goal the next 10 days! You can make the skinny jeans in Chicago.

Jessica - Well, a corndog burns up in the microwave when you put it in for 70 minutes instead of 70 seconds and don't catch it until after 3 minutes of the cooking process... In my defense, I've used commercial microwaves for 15 years that allow you to put in the number of seconds up to 999 and it will convert it to minutes and seconds, or just count down the seconds. Well, not the one I have now. It takes anything 61+ as number of minutes...

Oh yeah, Apple Jack is a type of brandy made from apples, a favorite drink of George Washington, according to the bottle at least.

Good day everyone!
  • Shannon--- still the same weight issues. As far as we know the boyfriend is history. However, since she knows we don't approve of him, she did hide the relationship when they reconciled.

She has had a friend for the past year (met her while working at the summer camp last year) that is proving to be a true friend. This girl (who is thin) took my dd shopping for clothes last week and helped her choose some new clothes. My dd won't go with me or her sister but was thrilled this friend helped her choose some new clothes. I didn't see what she chose but dh said it was quite an improvement. I cried when dh told me. I know she hates to buy new clothes because she feels everything looks terrible on her. I'm hoping this friend continues to be a good influence this summer as they are working together (and living together). She is a true sweetheart!

Welcome wfonseca!! Don't worry about your English. We'll understand you just fine!! Do you do WW then? That is how I lost my weight and now I work part-time for them as a receptionist. I didn't track my food while I was in Houston the past two weeks though I did track my exercise. I got right back to tracking yesterday!

Ward-- can I trade with you? I'll go to the dude ranch and you can go to my inlaws 50th in Maine? I've been to a dude ranch and loved it!! So much fun and a very active vacation.

Yes, Allison, we deal with the same things. I bite my tongue but dd still feels like I'm judging her no matter what I say or do.
  • Welcome wfonseca! I worked on my last post so long that I missed yours! I'm very visual, too - don't have a calendar on the fridge, but do log every day. I like the posted calendar idea though!

Don't worry about the English, you just post away!
  • Yay! A short workweek! Decided to finally stop lurking and join the chat.

Mudpie - hooray for being back at home base, and not having to watch every single step! I'm watching an American Fuzzy Lop bunny for the next couple of weeks, and he can be the same way when he's loose in the living room. Nice to have the spouse on board, even if for a medical issue - I wish mine would work with me a little better. Portion control is completely beyond him, and it's what got me into weight trouble. I can't let him serve me any more!

Bill and Marie - agree on the double-counting big meals! Roasted pig ...

Megan - sore throat/cough/laryngitis is running amok up here too. Seasonal melon - yum! We have a couple of muskmelons swelling nicely in the garden - we don't get many, but the quality is divine.

Marie - ! Hope you make a speedy recovery! Pool time is here! It was nice of you (but not surprising) to put the doggies ahead of the fireworks - you've always been incredibly compassionate toward them.

allinell - love kitty pictures! I am NOT a cat person by any stretch, but I admit that kittens are terribly cute. Baby predators ... I recently had a mom cat and 4 4 week old kittens "dumped" at the end of my driveway, and while I was figuring out where to take them, I had quite a lot of fun watching their antics. As a short-short hair person (who no longer even needs a blowdryer), I'll put in a pitch for "whack it off!" After all, it always grows back!

shannon - microwave malfunction, or extra zero in the time? I've done both - it's never pretty. DS11 introduced me to a microwave game - get two big marshmallows and put them on a paper plate with toothpicks stuck through them and touching (like a swordfight). As the marshmallows deform in the microwave, they do kind of a funny "dance" with the toothpicks. I doubt a corn dog would be as funny.

Jessica - Your tri prep has been very inspiring! And yes, roasting here like the pig at Bill's BBQ. Thank gawd for AC!

wfonseca - hello! I'm new to this thread too and still making the jump in my head between losing and maintenance.

WardHog - wondered where you were! Hope you've made a full recovery. We're headed west during August to see some of the sights in Yellowstone, Tetons, Custer battlefield, Rushmore ... etc.

Michele - Celebration in Maine sounds like fun, and lobster's not bad if you leave off (most of) the butter. I can relate to the trepidation about being under one roof with close family for an extended period I get to look forward to 2 weeks in a CAR with DH and DS11 - eek!

I'm glad it's a 4 day workweek.
  • Morning It's not hot here, but at least the sun is out after a full week of rain.

Ward - I love the Jackson/Yellowstone area. My stepsister worked at the hotel at Mammoth Hot Springs one summer, and then spent the winter in Jackson. She then moved to BOzeman, MT so she could be near Yellowstone (and still make a living!) and goes there often.

Michele - My BIL lives in Maine, and we love to visit him. I grew up in Mass, and will eat east coast lobster at any opportunity. Skip most of the butter and it's a decent choice calorie/point wise.

Today we have the first stawberries from our garden. Picked and clean about 1.5 quarts yesterday. Froze about half, as there are tons more coming. Yay. I love fresh strawberries. There are also a few cherry tomatoes turning red in the greenhouse - the normal sized ones have aways to go....

DH is feeling puny today, was up all night vomiting and having other, um, digestive issues. He thinks it's from a turkey sandwich he ate at our local hotel coffee shop on Sunday. It's the only meal he's eaten that I haven't in the last couple days. He's gone back to bed,and managed to keep down a cup of tea with honey.
  • Pat-- yuck! Hope your dh recovers quickly. That doesn't sound like fun at all.
    Wow! Fresh strawberries! We have a few raspberries and blackberries from our plants and our tomatoes are just starting to produce. Dh also planted eggplant and says they have a lot of blooms.

I was born in Connecticut and lived briefly in Mass too (Shrewsbury). I know we went to Maine when I was little but I don't remember it. I *thought* we were going to Kennebunkport, but apparently we are going a few more hours North. It should be a LONG drive from Boston!
  • I did this 10K run back in May - no wonder i had to dodge so many people...this photo really captures it.

• Susan - that is a big run... I know a gentleman on another board who ran it as well. Ginormous. This was mine this weekend. More pics here - none of me yet though.

• Me after the race.
  • Looking good Shannon! And boy, those were both BIG races! I ran 2 5Ks in Seattle in 2000, and I thought they had a lot of folks....
  • Hot, hot, hot!
    I'm sooo glad I situated my business down by Lake Ontario (though it was more by accident than design).

The poor dogs would have been melting on the pavement today. Our off leash areas also don't have any shade but they do have a great big icy(I was splashing the bulldog who doesn't swim) lake to run into. I took off my shoes and went in too today - much to the surprise of all the youngster dogs there. Some of them were quite frightened by this!

The pup has started putting his whole head underwater - no one showed him he just had it encoded in his DNA. My clients have now announced that they are not having him neutered any time soon. I'll be really sad to give him up if other dogs start attacking him but there are 3 others in the group I am responsible for.

I don't know what this thing with the not neutering pets is about. They are not going to be bred or shown so what the heck?

Very frustrating but I'm not going to eat to relieve the stress.

Have a great evening all. I'm hunkering down beside the A/C and smearing myself with aloe vera moisturizer as my evening's entertainment! Might polish my toenails green too!

Dagmar
  • Shannon - you look so perky.
    That run was the same size as the Sunrun 55,000 peeps. Just hard to capture the size of it in a photo.
    They sent that to me today - for a mere $22.95 i can have a poster of it...ummmm, no thanks.

Here's a pic of me after my race - drinking a beer....like the true athlete i am

• Quote: Shannon - you look so perky.
    That run was the same size as the Sunrun 55,000 peeps. Just hard to capture the size of it in a photo.
    They sent that to me today - for a mere $22.95 i can have a poster of it...ummmm, no thanks.

Here's a pic of me after my race - drinking a beer....like the true athlete i am
    Beer has many healthful properties to assist you in recovery after a race. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My hubby's band did a gig at a tavern in a small Ont. town last summer where a road race happened to be winding up. Scores of racers came to the tavern afterwards and they were all quaffing brews.

Dagmar (beer rules!)
  • There were some bars giving away cups of beer to the runners along the course during the Peachtree, just kept it on the downlow... I never found one, sadly. I did find pizza and smoothie samples at miles 3 & 4 though.

And actually, beer is supposed to be a great recovery drink per some article I read somewhere. Men's Health maybe?

You look great in your pic Susan!
  • LOL! That's the only reason I still do 5K's from time to time...for the beer!

Great pictures gals....so proud of you here!

HUGE races you have...WOW!

The biggest one I do here is the Carlsbad 5K which has over 10,000 runners...but we are broke down into age and sex categories...although Angie, the kids (young adults and spouses) and I do the same race sometimes, as do a lot of couples since we won't be in the medals.

Rock on!

EDIT ~ Oh...and I am living proof you will not lose too much weight in a 5K as long as you "beg" enough beer coupons from family members for the beer garden