What do you do with your egg yolks?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Egg-white omlettes are all good and well (and delicious!), but what do you guys do with your yolks when you're done? Yeah, I get that they're high calorie and high cholesterol, but since I'm dieting on a shoestring budget, it kills me to throw away perfectly good food.

Any good egg yolks suggestions? Even high cal is fine, since my husband will eat it.
  • I eat them lol What about getting egg beaters egg whites? Easy and no waste.

Oh and desserts usually use up more yolks like YUMMY pot de creme. I saw America's Test Kitchen once make individual ones that were really easy to make. But I don't know if dessert fits into your plans or not....
  • I dunno, I eat both parts of my eggs. Maybe make an egg yolk omlette for your husband to match your egg white one?
  • I'm no help here, but I use the whole egg.

Wilma
  • I eat them. That's where all the nutrients are.
  • I toss em. Generally buying eggs is cheaper than egg beaters...

But I have moved toward using more of the egg more often. I make scrambled eggs or omelettes with one whole egg and 2 whites. There ARE a lot of nutrients in the yolk!
  • Feed them to a neighbor's friendly dog, a picture-perfect, show-quality Golden Retriever. The owner tells me the yolk is good for his coat.
  • I know there are calories in the yolk, and as Heather says, that's where the nutrients are but I wanted to addres the cholesterol myth. The warnings against eggs and their high cholesterol date from a time when it was thought that dietary cholesterol had a direct correlation with blood cholesterol. Science has come a long wat since then. Not only are the two not related but now we know there are two types of blood cholesterol and that eggs help with your "good" (HDL) cholesterol levels.

So don't throw out all your yolks without considering the goodness you are missing out on.
  • Another idea is meatloaf. And don't people also use yolks for their hair?

Yeah Heather, I like the taste of egg beaters, too but you are right that it's still probably cheaper to get a cartoon of eggs even with wasting the yolk. Sure there is analysis somewhere on that.
  • Egg yolks are 74% fat, so while they may be nutritious, they have to be thought of like almonds or peanut butter. They won't make a proper omelet by themselves because they don't have enough protein: it's the protein in the whites that gets hard and stringy and holds the cooked egg together.

Feeding them to an animal is a good suggestion. I think they freeze pretty well, so you could freeze them and take them to someone who has a pet. There are recipes that call for egg yolks--chocolate silk pie, I think, and other deserts like that, but it's really kinda false economy if you spend $5 on other ingredients to avoid wasting $1 worth of egg yolks.
  • I give them to my chickens or I scramble them and give them to my dogs.
  • I eat my eggs in tact... I don't believe in egg segregation--Equal rights for all egg colors!
  • Lol, m3rma1d!

I began eating the whole egg, after my doctor said to not worry about the yolks, within reason, because they are nutritious. But before that, I tossed raw yolks, and gave boiled ones to the dogs.
  • I like Egg Whites International because it's easier than tossing the yolks.
  • I eat them too