vacation/travel tips and IP

• Hi all - I'm new here - today is day 5 and I'm doing ok! I'm planning a real (meaning getting on a plane with kids and hubby) trip for a long weekend next weekend...am a little nervous about how to do the plan on the trip? I'm also vegetarian so that adds a little difficulty - visiting friends so I know there will be a lot of foods/parties/get togethers while we're there...any suggestions? (How to eat IP on plane, hotel, BBQs, etc) Thanks - really enjoying reading these posts!!
  • Check out this old link!
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ip-travel.html
  • Quote: Hi all - I'm new here - today is day 5 and I'm doing ok! I'm planning a real (meaning getting on a plane with kids and hubby) trip for a long weekend next weekend...am a little nervous about how to do the plan on the trip? I'm also vegetarian so that adds a little difficulty - visiting friends so I know there will be a lot of foods/parties/get togethers while we're there...any suggestions? (How to eat IP on plane, hotel, BBQs, etc) Thanks - really enjoying reading these posts!!
    only suggestion I can give you has to do with IP on plane. For me what worked the best was the cereal. I didn't have to shake it or anything, just asked for a cup of water. Bars would do too but they are restricted and I didn't want to have any of them.
  • I am traveling again july 15 to 24. It will be a few plane trips, being on a boat and eating in restaurants. Having done this before, I know I need to check a bag so I may take all my food through.

I buy walden farms salad dressings to go and double bag them in ziploc bags before packing them in my suitcase. I also pack my real salt. I have gone so far as to fill small plastic EMPTIED water bottles with apple cider vinegar and olive oil and double bag that as well to avoid having to buy the larger bottles at a grocery store! (blush... it was a long trip.) I pack a zip loc bag with 3 packets each for each day of the trip. Usually, I include cereal, drinks and a pudding. If I know I will have access to stovetop or hot burner I will take the eggs and jello. I pack my clean shaker or 2 IF I have space. If no space, I use a 16 - 20 oz chilled water, drink part, and mix the powder with the balance. I pack my vitamins in a weekly medicine box. It holds everything and packs flat.

For the day of, since I am checking a bag anyway, I take as few liquid cosmetics as possible on with me. I save some space in my travel liquids bag to hold my dressing packets for the trip. I also take a small amount of salt with me and 3 or 4 IP packets. When I get past security I buy 1 small bottled water and 1 liter water. I drink the some of the small bottle first, then mix a drink in it for the flight. I do the same thing at my connection, if there is one. I remember to drink water through the flight to help with dehydration. If you can request a special meal. You can ask for vegetarian or a veg plate. That usually has a few things you can eat. If you don't get an in flight meal ( I usually don't) pack some veggies.

For my in flight snack/lunch bag, I pack a small soft side lunch bag. I have never been stopped for using a frozen blue Ice pack to keep it cold but, I have also triple bagged ice cubes to keep in there! I then cut up and bag celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, radish, tomato, mushroom, even a small salad. I have a small 2 cup container from fresh fit that fits in my lunch bag for a container. Pack plastic utensils and you are set. OR, you can just finger nibble on these during the flights. I have been known to buy a salad in the connecting airport and toss all ip inappropriate items and just add my extras and dressing.

When I get where I am going, I go to a market or grocery. I get all the normal veggies I need to keep a small pack available while I am out. The lunch bag comes in handy for this too. ( I have a large shopping tote/handbag I use on vacations so the lunch bag fits in easily) I usually call a hotel ahead of time to see if I can get a fridge in my room for "medical/special diet" supplies. Usually they can accomodate at a small fee. I keep a couple of bottles water chilled, some bags of cut up veggies, and lettuce. The shakers work fine to make a pudding with chilled water at the end of a day. I also buy a small dish soap at the market when I arrive. I use this to clean the shaker at the hotel.

That is the big plan. NORMALLY, just having your drinks and shakers is enough. You can get cut veggies by the day at any grocery. You can get cut fresh veggies, steamed or sauteed at nearly every restaurant. So, it isn't too hard to stay on plan. I have been able to travel out of the country, be on a boat, go camping, road trip, go to amusement parks, and get stranded in an airport before having to take a train to get to my destination ( a long 15 hour travel day) without having any issues.

Plan ahead, just like you would if you had to pack a diaper bag for a child. A child has special food needs, we don't think odd about it, we just plan and pack. The same is true for those with diabetes. They consider how to keep insulin cool and convenient on vacation. We are no different! Just plan and pack.

Check out the restaurant guide for suggestions on eating out!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-guide-ip.html
  • Thanks!!
    Wow- fantastic, such great help! I will take all of those suggestions into consideration. I love the comparison to packing a diaper bag - so true!! Thanks so much for the great input everyone!!
  • Quote: ...am a little nervous about how to do the plan on the trip? I'm also vegetarian so that adds a little difficulty - visiting friends so I know there will be a lot of foods/parties/get togethers while we're there...any suggestions? (How to eat IP on plane, hotel, BBQs, etc
    You will be checking a bag, so once you reconcile yourself to that (which was hard for me) all the rest is easier...

I travel a lot and (when staying in a hotel) be sure to get a room with a microwave and a mini-fridge. (Embassy Suites is awesome and family friendly)

I buy individual "prepackaged" veggies in single servings, and nuke them in the morning in my hotel. I carry a pyrex glass dish that has a snap on lid, so I can cook them, let them cool and put the whole thing in my back pack. I usually pick things I am ok with eating at "room temperature" once lightly cooked: broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

I do the same water bottle/mix up drinks thing Carla suggested. If I want to feel like I am treating myself in the airport layover, I make the cappacino drink then buy a shot of espresso with sugar free vanilla syrup over ice and pour it into my shaker. Or a vanilla ready to go with a shot of espresso over ice so it's in the starbucks glass with a straw--just like a "normal" person!

Put some dressing packs (or make your own) in your carry on--you will not find ANY dressing you can eat in an airport.

once you are there and handling bbqs, etc.:
    make up your own dessert ahead of time. Last night I mixed a cappucino with a chocolate drink and made it really short on water so it was pudding consistency. I added a few drops of vanilla and some almond extract and took it with me to the bbq. So, while everyone else had their big fruit bowls with whipped cream, I had a mocha almond creme. nummy!

bbq; my favorite is to just take some chicken, sprinkle heavily with paprika (some smokey and some sweet). Let it sit for at least 30 minutes at room temp before grilling. Sear on high on each side, then cook on medium for about 30 minutes. May need to brush on a little olive oil. Crispy, bbq chicken! (and take a few servings of veggies in case everything else is covered in butter and mayo!)
  • Carla:

Where do you get your individually packaged walden farms dressings? Our Whole foods doesn't carry walden farms and our Fred Meyer has them, but only in bottles. Do you have an online source?

Thanks
    JC
  • Quote: Carla:

Where do you get your individually packaged walden farms dressings? Our Whole foods doesn't carry walden farms and our Fred Meyer has them, but only in bottles. Do you have an online source?

Thanks
    JC
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/
    http://www6.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=394
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ackets&x=0&y=0

I also find mine at a grocery called SPROUTS. I don't know if they have that in your area or not.
  • Bump... it is still summer and some who travel may like to have this info.