Dr prescribed diet pills ???

• Who here has had their Dr prescribe them diet pills ????
    Mine did today I went in for depression and weight and he gave me phentermine for diet and wellbutrin for depression
    My question is has anyone taken Phentermine for weight loss ????
    I want the good and the bad and the ugly

Thanks

Michelle
  • I just started yesterday so I cannot offer much besides it has really suppressed my appetite.
  • My doctor gave Phentermine to me years ago. It did reduce my appetite but I had trouble sleeping while on it and I put the weight right back on as soon as I got off it.
  • Thanks ladies ..................
    and OMG CHERYL YOU ARE 1 POUND AWAY FROM 100

WOOT WOOT CONGRATS how awesome does that feel??? my big OMG will be 199 then goal lol
  • Thanks, Goddess!

One pound away from 100 feels wonderful. Actually it feels amazing. For most of this weight loss journey, I didn't really believe that I would get here. Oh, I knew I could lose some weight and get to feeling better but 100 or more pounds just did not seem possible. It goes to show that you don't really have to believe in yourself, or have super powers or anything. I just take it one day at a time and do what I need to do today. Those days add up!
  • Oh my, am very shocked that your Doctor prescribed Wellbutrin and Phentermine at the same time. They are chemically very similar. Several years ago when I was taking wellbutrin I begged my Doctor for phentermine and he absolutely refused to prescribe it while I was taking wellbutrin. I then tried to order it from an online pharmacies, and I was denied from the 3 I tried because I was taking wellbutrin. A few weeks later I found a different on-line pharmacy and LIED. Said I wasn't taking anything else. They came in the mail a day later and I started to take them...with the wellbutrin.

You think depression is bad...how about mentally psychotic. I absolutely went crazy. My husband nearly left me and I became another person. Thank God, I made it through alive...because at one time during all of that, I seriously considered suicide. Oh, and I lost 40 pounds and when I stopped taking it I gained 100. Wellbutrin helps with weight loss on its own, and I was doing pretty well with it only, and maybe Phentermine is okay on it's own, but the 2 together can be deadly (for me).
  • Just from a pharmacology standpoint there is technically no interaction between the two and they can be prescribed together.

However, everyone's different especially regarding antidepressants and how other medications affect them while on them.

/clinical pharmacist

You never realize how individual medications are for people until you start dealing with antidepressants and antipsychotics.

I'm not trying to be dismissive or anything to Lori Bell because antidepressants can be so tricky to tailor to each person.

[Yep, I'm a clinical pharmacist, but I'm not -your- pharmacist. Ask your own health care professionals]
  • I was on wellbutrin for a while... it made me CRAZY-crazy. My depression WAY WORSENED... I HAD to get off it.

I also had the phen-meds a few years ago. It did help suppress my appetite. I also exercised my *** off (quite literally!) and ate healthy and lost about 35 pounds. But then I got off the meds.... shortly thereafter had an injury that kept me out of the gym 12+ weeks, and coincidentally started eating crappy again. Gained the 35 back.... PLUS 20 more. Ugh.

I have learned that *FOR ME* I just have to keep plugging away with the exercise & eating habits. Pills are just destructive IMHO, and even if you succeed in losing weight, you may gain worse health (heart problems, etc) and most likely will gain back the pounds plus more once you quit the pills.

I know that's probably NOT what you wanted to hear, but... you did say "the good the bad & the ugly".
  • Quote: Just from a pharmacology standpoint there is technically no interaction between the two and they can be prescribed together...

[Yep, I'm a clinical pharmacist, but I'm not -your- pharmacist. Ask your own health care professionals]
    At one time "they" said there was no interaction between Phentermine and fenfluramine, and we all know what happened there.