Sleep Deprivation vs. Working Out

• Hey everyone!

I am starting to work out again. I lagged off because of life stresses, new job, starting school and etc. I really don't have time to workout, except on Saturday and Sunday. Every other day of the week I get home at 9pm and even LATER. So, I want to at least workout 4 days a week at 30 minutes to get back into the groove. I heard that working out makes for a better night sleep. It doesnt keep me awake either,I could workout and then go right to sleep. My question is, can I forfeit sleep to workout? Meaning if I workout, then would it be ok to sleep 6 hours? Anyone else have a full schedule and give up sleep to workout?? Thanks in advance.
  • I use to workout and only sleep 6 hours when
    I was in school. I wouldn't recommend it.
    I got tired all the time and it made me not
    want to work out anymore.
  • What time do you leave in the morning? Is there time to workout then? Or maybe on your lunch hour?
  • IMO, sleep is much more important for weight loss and overall health than formal exercise is. So no, I would definitely not recommend giving up sleep in order to exercise. I think that will not lead to the results you're looking for.
  • There is something some of our folks have written about called NEAT - Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. I'm not an expert, but I think the gist is that if you increase activity during your daily routine that you enhance your activity levels and thus weight control by a significant amount. Standing instead of sitting at a computer, using stairs instead of elevators, walking instead of riding, etc.