Exercise

You're on Page 33 of 33
Go to
  • Hi Cikan:
    re: your comment above:
    "I love the idea of the Ideal Protein concept as it is close to what I used to do when bodybuilding but I do not understand their saying no strenuous exercise... muscle needs to be worked to be built and the more muscle mass you have, the more your body burns... I am really looking forward to trying this and seeing how it goes and very hopefully of success."

IP is a Very Low Carb/Calorie/Fat Diet (VLCD) which means that for health reasons it is best to focus on the fat loss first, while still keeping adequate protein in our diet so that our bodies do not break down our own muscle protein for energy. Light exercise is encouraged by IP - but heavy/strenuous exercise to build muscle is best left until after the fat loss period. Remember that this phase is only a temporary phase and we are encouraged to learn to workout and exercise to build a stronger healthier body in the next phases. Those who choose to do more than 'light exercise' often find that they need more food to fuel their bodies and avoid nausea, lightheadedness, and major fatigue.
    The purpose of Phase 1 & 2 is to lose fat and not to build muscle (yet). Phase 3 and Maintenance is the time to concentrate on that. And as muscle takes up less room than fat (pound for pound) we will be less 'fluffy' looking at a given weight with a lower body fat percentage. By the way, as an ex-bodybuilder, you probably already know that 'weight loss is in the Kitchen and NOT in the Gym.' We can't out-run/out-lift/out-row bad diets.
    (I was a certified personal trainer & physio rehab assistant for 25 years)

Liana
  • OKay, TY. Like I said ( or meant to say) is that it is very close to the diet I followed many, many many, years ago and it did allow one to lose their bodyfat quite quickly and not lose their body fat either. =]) Thank again!
  • extra food for excercise?
    is there a rule of thumb for what i can/should eat if I am exercising? I bike and i don't want to get weak or dizzy. I'm doing all alternative IP so i don't the brand packets, etc. I'd love it if there was a formula for hours exercised = additional portions (or added carbs?) Any thoughts?

Erika
  • I walk my dog for around 45 minutes each morning and didn't want to stop when i started IP three weeks ago, because then she wouldn't get the walks she loves. So I kept doing it and I've lost 15 pounds. I also started doing 45-minute moderate yoga and that's been tougher -- I find I am very hungry afterward and especially the next morning, sometimes enough to wake me in the wee hours, ugh. My coach asked me to chill and to have an extra packet and I find that combo has helped -- an orange drink or similar before yoga and perhaps a hardboiled egg afterward, both as extras, ie fourth packet and extra protein. So far so good! Off to yoga now as a matter of fact...
  • I'm doing the alternative phase 1 because of the exercise. However, I did the program years ago and the days that I exercised my coach had me add a restricted. I would have half 30 min. before working out and the other half within 30 minutes of finishing. It was great. I did very well with that.
  • Since there was a question about exercise in the 2016 IP Rebooters thread a few days ago, I'm bumping this Exercise thread... lots of good info...

hugs.....
  • A couple of good articles... draw your own conclusions...

Exhaled Pounds: How Fat Leaves the Body

After-Meal Exercise May Reduce Heart Disease Risk

hugs...
  • Here's another helpful thread for those who want to do a bit more for exercise while IPing:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-couch-5k.html
  • Bumping for newbies!
  • walking every day, oh i love it and sometimes jogging
  • Quote: I have tried searching out the forums to see what people do for exercise and have little to no success. Please share with us what you do, how often you do it, and has it helped you loose or has it made your weight loss slow down.
    :running ::trea d:

Run, however running after about a month of being on the diet, only because we are eating low calories. Now... Run, bike and the gym. I do a lot of plyometric workouts, stretching for sure, and now that its warmer weather being outside as possible. Gardening is my most fun!
    i did start swimming lessons with a friend too