Gotta have it!

• What are some things you just haven't found a subsitute for that you let yourself indulge in, in moderation of course?

For me it's mayo. I have tried fat free, low fat, made with olive oil, etc and it all just tastes FUNKY. Miracle Whip is a definite BLECH. I rarely use mayo except for maybe a 1/4 of a teaspoon on certain sandwiches sometimes, or in my tunafish. I just figure if I want certain foods and I have to have mayo on them, then I have to alot for the calories that come with it. Same thing goes for Ranch dressing. I can do LF sometimes but not FF. It's very sweet. Since I DO eat a lot of salads I have been training myself to acquire a taste for vinigarettes instead.

What about you guys?
  • It would have to be cheese I do like the reduced fat Sargento cheddar sticks but they are hard to find here so I do treat myself to the real deal (we brought a bunch of small wheels back from Holland with us when we went)
  • I'd have to say cheese and bacon. I now only use bacon as a flavoring ingredient rather than a main part of a meal but bacon is still a part of my life. And cheese is also still a part of my life although in less quantities. I like very very sharp cheddar so an ounce packs plenty of flavor. Last night I ended up with over 300 calories to spare so I had an ounce of gruyere. Oh my my. It was hard to not go back for a second or third but I was happy to have the one!
  • Definitely cheese. I have always been a big cheese person. There aren't many cheeses I don't love, brie is nasty, but that's about it. I no longer sit down and eat an entire block of cheddar or put 4 or 5 oz. of bleu on my steak, but I refuse to not allow myself to have cheese. If I can find low fat ones I like I'll do it, but some types that just doesn't work for - like my bleu.

Also, the occasional serving of white rice. I do normally prefer brown, red, wild, etc. However, every now and then I just need to have some white. I limit it to a normal serving, but I do allow myself to have it.
  • Cheese, sugar (I don't use much, just a tsp. in my oatmeal or if I'm cooking with it or baking), butter (I WON'T eat margarine any more), eggs, baked goods, yogurt, potato chips...I think that's it.
  • cheese. I WILL NOT EAT low fat or fat free cheese. Gross disgusting low fat ick nasty. lol!!!!

I eat REAL eggs. I went through a stint with eggbeaters. It stopped when I realized how gross they were.

I eat meat. I can't do tofu or meat substitutes... I just eat leaner cuts of meat!

Those are the things that I cannot give up. Have never given up and will never give up.
  • Peanut butter!
  • When I decided to lose the weight, I had a couple of non negotiables, but it wasn't any particular food item, it was:

For me to be hungry was not an option and for me to eat boring, bland, tasteless food was not an option.
  • Cheese
    Sugar (I don't use a ton of it)
    Mayo
    Meat...still on the fence about tofu
  • Ketchup

Peanutbutter

Cheese

I think that's it!
  • I'm with you on the Mayo! Still have to have Real Mayo. One thing that helps some is the Chipotle Mayo, has a few less calories & fat.
  • Chocolate...that's my only thing I'll never give up! But now it's not everyday it's once a month!

Everything else (peanut butter, cheese, mayo) I can handle the reduced fat/calorie version.
  • white rice in my sushi. I've tried it with brown rice and it is just not the same. So, when I make sushi rolls I use white rice and that is honestly the only thing that I cannot compromise on.
  • I don't have any off limit foods. Psychologically, knowing I "can't" have something makes me want it more. I still eat the things I like, but much less of it and much less often.

I refuse to do fake butter, but I did switch to fat free cream cheese because I didn't notice a big difference in flavor, but there was a good difference in calories.