My first real job interview -- AAH!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I work in HR and the best thing you can do is wear a suit - you want to always be dressed to impress. If you don't have a suit, wear dark slacks and a collared button down shirt, not low cut obviously.

Have some questions prepared - the best question to ever ask - why is the position currently available. There are a ton of websites (google) that will give you sample interview questions and also some tidbits on how you should answer questions. For the strengths and weaknesses, don't do the cliche "I'm a perfectionist," etc. But, find a weakness that is also taught you to grow and expand your experience.

Also, with the market being as bad as it is, there are tons of qualified people out there, so they may also focus on "Behavior based" interviewing questions. Such as, "what would you do if someone asked you do do something unethical," "how do you cope with conflict on the job," etc.

I would definitely smile and show your personality, a laugh here and there isn't a bad thing. They don't want a reporter that shows no personality, so be yourself. Hope that helps. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Yeah I agree with the perfectionist thing. I like honest answers! And my answer usually was "I tended to take on a lot stress myself out. But now I have learned over time that everything will get done, and I am much better at prioritizing now because of this..."

I mean for me that really was it- it might be something else for you.
  • Thank you all for the wonderful advice! Unfortunately I had to turn down the job as it was because the college demanded an ungodly amount of money to move in, but all of your advice nailed me an internship to look forward to in the fall!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
  • YW! Congratulations!