Life After Phase 1

You're on Page 2 of 30
Go to
  • Quote: Okay... I'm now conflicted. The 0.5 to 1.0 sounds small, but when I look at it in terms of pasta, the box says 2 ounces is a serving, and 5-7 ounces seems like a huge amount of food. I'm going to ask tonight at the workshop...

Sheesh! Who knew Phase 4 was going to be so confusing?
    Hi, Novak, When the box says 2 ounces of pasta is a serving, it's talking about dry weight, not cooked. All of the water has been removed from it in the drying process. Two ounces turns into 1 cup when it's cooked. As I said before, a 5-ounce potato is just a small to medium potato. Then you could also have a serving of peas, corn, bread, or some other slow carb to make the whole 7 ounces if you wanted to. It doesn't seem all that huge to me.

Quote: Jeez, Bev... do you have all this memorized? I have to keep looking at the cheat sheet to remember what I'm supposed to do when! I think I may need to work out some menus that fit the bill ahead of time so I don't need to tax my poor, overworked brain every time a meal rolls around.
    Yeah, I kinda do have it memorized.
  • Quote: Yeah, I kinda do have it memorized.
    I'm actually quite an intelligent individual, but I am feeling terribly dense about this...

I initially thought it might be a cooked vs. uncooked issue, but I got hung up on the "0.5 to 1 oz" direction, which I've now found in several places. Guess I'll just let it go so you don't have to keep lecturing me

So never mind my post about eating 7 ounces of pasta! The typo is in ogdog's post, which she got from TranTienDiet.com (where you'd expect them to know better!)
  • Quote: Sylvie,

You've been such a monster on this program, would you mind posting some of your final stats as you transition from the weight loss phases? We know how many pounds you've lost... what about a spread of inches? And do you have any notable successes on the health side? For example, the changes to my blood pressure and cholesterol levels have been very significant. (I plan to post when I get a chance.) Any results you can share?
    Here is my personnal stat sheet - hope it can help!

I have been told that my blood labs are good but have not been told about specific improvements. My blood pressure went from being fairly high 135/85 to a normal level 115/70 if I remember well. One of my co-workers has lost 120# on IP went from type II diabetes, sleep apnea & high blood pressure to normal! That is quite an improvement for her!

• Quote: I'm actually quite an intelligent individual, but I am feeling terribly dense about this...

I initially thought it might be a cooked vs. uncooked issue, but I got hung up on the "0.5 to 1 oz" direction, which I've now found in several places. Guess I'll just let it go so you don't have to keep lecturing me

So never mind my post about eating 7 ounces of pasta! The typo is in ogdog's post, which she got from TranTienDiet.com (where you'd expect them to know better!)
    Yes, I saw it on the website as well. I really think they meant to put .5 to 1 cup. That would be a typical serving of pasta. But I think his book removes the confusion. Sorry, there I go lecturing again. Let me know what the nutritionist says.
  • Quote: Yes, I saw it on the website as well. I really think they meant to put .5 to 1 cup. That would be a typical serving of pasta. But I think his book removes the confusion. Sorry, there I go lecturing again. Let me know what the nutritionist says.
    Well, the Phase 3 & 4 workshop last night was OUTSTANDING, and I have a whole new view of Phase 4. (Phase 3 also, for that matter.) I'm going to get it all written down and post, possibly in installments...

Just kidding about the "lectures." You've always got a lot of great information--I was just starting to feel like an idiot.

Yes, I agree the book seems to remove all doubt. But with my new outlook on maintenance, I no longer care about the measurements and trying to "get it right." What a relief!
  • Quote: Well, the Phase 3 & 4 workshop last night was OUTSTANDING, and I have a whole new view of Phase 4. (Phase 3 also, for that matter.) I'm going to get it all written down and post, possibly in installments...

Just kidding about the "lectures." You've always got a lot of great information--I was just starting to feel like an idiot.

Yes, I agree the book seems to remove all doubt. But with my new outlook on maintenance, I no longer care about the measurements and trying to "get it right." What a relief!
    I can't wait to read all about it!
  • Oh looking forward to read about your Phase 3 & 4 knowledge from your seminar Novak!!
  • Quote: Oh looking forward to read about your Phase 3 & 4 knowledge from your seminar Novak!!
    So do I! Phase 4 was explained to me yesterday and from my perspective, it also the same as phase 3, adding lipids (or dairy) at lunch and glucids (pasta, potatoes or rice) at dinner. A little disappointed about it... Feels like I will be on diet rather than maintenance for the rest of my life!
  • Novak....please share!! Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Quote: I can't wait to read all about it!
    Quote: Oh looking forward to read about your Phase 3 & 4 knowledge from your seminar Novak!!
    Quote: So do I! Phase 4 was explained to me yesterday and from my perspective, it also the same as phase 3, adding lipids (or dairy) at lunch and glucids (pasta, potatoes or rice) at dinner. A little disappointed about it... Feels like I will be on diet rather than maintenance for the rest of my life!
    Quote: Novak....please share!! Inquiring minds want to know!
    Sorry to post a cliffhanger! I'll start working on it early tomorrow morning. (Today I need to focus on the future of human spaceflight... )

But she really did explain how to live and eat normally without having to worry about measuring and counting and following lots of rules. YAY!
  • Phase 4 Protocol
    I'm posting a scanned black and white copy of the Phase 4 guidelines in the familiar format we know from the earlier phases. I'm trying to get a nice color version, but I had never seen this before Thursday, and wanted to get it out there quickly. It's a little hard to read in spots, but I can help if you have questions. If someone has a better copy, please post.

Let me add that these are guidelines, not rules to be followed exactly as written. It does answer some important questions I had, however, and is not totally consistent with the written description of Phase 4 we have in the IP Phases sticky.

Major points for me were: which supplements to continue after Phase 3, having protein at EVERY meal and before bed snack, and knowing that I can use IP or other products as my protein, since I don't eat meat and am sometimes hard-pressed to find enough options throughout the day.

I have a lot of other information to post, which I will do as I have time.

• Phase 4 info
    Before Thursday night, I’d studied all the materials, read all the posts… but somehow I wasn’t getting the big picture. I thought my success was the sum of my weight and measurements and blood work and how I look and how my clothes fit. That was all great, but I wasn’t quite grasping the practical aspects of how this would change the way I manage my weight for the rest of my life.

I don’t want to go back to where I was, but I don’t want to have to constantly count and measure and make trades and sacrifice my enjoyment of food.

Now I know that I don’t have to.

I’m going to paraphrase much of what was shared at the Phase 4 Workshop I attended, led by Dr. Z, a chiropractor/nutritionist/IP regional rep. She is a Type II diabetic, and like me, does not eat meat. She has also lost a great deal of weight on IP, and looks fantastic. Like us!

It’s tough to get out of diet mode, particularly after the rigidity of Phases 1 and 2. Phase 3 is still quite specific, and, incidentally, is an extremely critical part of the program—it is important to do it right, particularly if you are diabetic. (I will post more about Phase 3 separately.) Phase 4 is, by design, much more general. The whole point is that you should eat healthy foods and follow a few general principles that will allow your body to retain the benefits of resetting the pancreas to function more efficiently.

I’ve posted a Phase 4 protocol, but don’t get hung up on the measurements or the food lists. Dr. Z said if you ask for those things, she can give them to you, but it’s time to go ahead and live your life, which happens to include eating normally. The overarching guideline is to eat healthy. So if your previous version of “eating normally” was not particularly healthy, don’t go back to doing that!

The Phase 4 sheet outlines a healthy diet, if you need some guidance. The key points NOT to ignore are to include protein with every meal and snack before bed, eat your carbs at dinner rather than lunch, and minimize the fat you have with your dinner. Following these guidelines will help your body mimic the way naturally slender people process food: “eat it and burn it” rather than “eat it and store it.”

Beyond that, just make healthy choices. Eat vegetables and fruit. Choose multigrain alternatives. Eat when you are hungry, but in quantities that satisfy you rather than leave you feeling stuffed. These things are easy to remember.

That said, go ahead and enjoy life in your new body. If you miss a meal or eat a sandwich at lunch, your world will not fall apart. But keep some protein foods or drinks on hand if you don’t always have time to eat. And if you can’t live life without sandwiches, try to have them at dinner or on your cheat day.

The only metrics you need to keep track of are your weight (check 2-3 times a week), and your measurements. If your weight goes up, check your measurements (are your pants getting tight?) to see if you are actually gaining fat. If you are, cut back on the carbs for a few days, and get yourself back on track.

Decide on a weight that tells you it’s time to do something more serious. If you hit that number, go back on Phase 1 until you drop down to your ideal weight. Maybe it takes 3 days, maybe 2 weeks. Then do Phase 3 again. If you want, just plan to do 2 weeks of Phase 1 annually; Dr. Z reserves the 2 weeks every year after the holidays to get back with the program.

Cheat days need not be a major production, nor do they have to be an entire day. Consider following Dr. Z’s lead. Her “cheat day” is actually Friday, Saturday and Sunday after 3:00 PM. She eats a healthy breakfast and lunch each day, then has her evening out with friends on Friday, goes to the Saturday cookout, and prepares a nice Sunday dinner at home. Every Monday it’s a no-carb day—either with IP products or without—so her body can’t store the fat.

The point here is that you need to find a routine that works for you. If it’s not, “good during the week and bad on the weekend,” then choose another approach. Use your cheat day if you have a special event coming up. What’s important is that you know how to keep your body from storing the fat, and because your body has been retrained through the IP phases, it is more than happy to oblige.

For me, this is actually the key to the whole IP protocol. This is how I can manage my weight, determine what changes I might need to make in how I eat, and recover if I find that my body isn’t burning fat as efficiently as I’d like it to. This is why IP is billed as the last diet you’ll ever need... not because it’s a magic bullet and you’ll never gain weight again, but because it is now a weapon in your weight management arsenal. IP has to be an unbalanced diet because the human body is not built to lose weight. Quite the opposite: it is built to store fat.

I read all this over and over before and during the diet, but I guess it’s like learning a foreign language: if you don’t use it, you’re really not going to get it into your head in any meaningful way. Now that I’m back to living a normal life, I see how this can work for me. I’m no longer focused on quantities and weights and trying to remember to eat everything I’m supposed to, when I’m supposed to eat it.

I can easily implement the “cheat approach” –it’s a French diet, says Dr. Z, and the French love their food and wine... no way would they expect people to make such a sacrifice! I can remember to have my carbs for dinner, with minimal fat. I can remember to eat fruits and vegetables and to not stuff myself. I can use IP or not to supplement my protein options—a premade shake before bed or a handful of nuts will do just fine. Do what works for you.

So that’s some of what I learned on Thursday. I will post more later.
  • Novak...this is great information....thanks for all the tips and guidance. I am going to be starting Phase 4 on Sunday and this helps a bunch!!!

ok....did i really read this protocol right...7 oz of meat/fish for lunch and dinner???
  • Novak, great job on the recap. I'm on day 13 of Phase 1, but it's really helpful to know that I'll be able to eat many of the foods that I really enjoy once I get to my goal weight and advanced phases.
  • Novak,

Thanks so much, that's fantastic!!

I'm getting my coach to email me the phase 4 sheets this afternoon so I'll repost a clean colour copy of it once she sends it

Thanks again!