Healthy Summertime Meals

• I thought it would be nice to have a thread for people to share what yummy summertime meals they've been eating!

Tonight I had ripe red tomatoes diced up, tossed with cubes of low fat fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, chilled steamed asparagus, olive oil, sea salt, & pepper. OMG, so good! To me, tomato/basil/mozz is THE taste of summer!
  • I last had a salad of shredded red and gold beets, radishes, red onions, cabbage, tomatoes, cilantro, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil and also had a small banana with peanut-flax butter.

Dinner will be rainbow chard with white beans and many spices, herbs, garlic and onions and also baby carrots and watermelon slices.
  • zucchini, onion, sugar snap peas and thinly sliced carrots sauteed with a little extra virgin olive oil then a little balsamic vinegar mixed with garlic powder onion powder and some herbs (I used rosemary today) sprinkled on top. So yummy. I either steam (if I've already had my fats for the day) or saute whatever fresh or frozen veggies I have on hand as my side. Add a little protein, or even a fresh salad, and that's my lunch or dinner.
  • Tonights dinner:
    Chopped, steamed broccoli with chickpeas, raisins, chopped pecans and a bit of fresh squeezed orange to give it a nice citrus taste.

I think this may be my new favorite meal.
  • mixed greens with strawberries, goat cheese and balsamic vinegar. i LOVE the sweet taste when the 3 are mixed together. (hope it's ok that i posted here!!)
  • Grilled boca burger on a whole wheat bun, roasted potatoes, cabbage salad, and an apple with 1 tbsp peanut butter for dessert . I am trying to get more creative; I think on Monday I am going to cook up a bunch of veggies with some red quinoa. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Is there a tummy rub emoticon?
  • Here I thought I was the only one that did the apple/peanut butter combo for dessert
  • Omg I love apples and peanut butter! I just realized so many of my favorite snacks involve pb: ants on a log, pb and banana sandwich(on light whole wheat!), apple and peanut butter, peanut butter and crackers, etc. I love me some peanut butter!
  • Haha, Peanut butter is delicious.

If I am in the mood for a savory dinner I will mix a wholewheat stuffing with fat free italian dressing and some additional herbs-add apple chunks and craisins. Butterfly a chicken breast and stuff the mixture inside then bake. OR I have sliced a chicken breast in healf laterally and rolled each slice with stuffing and bake with a bit of non fat peach yogurt on top. Serve it with a side of steamed carrots or fresh greens with more craisins and pecans with a light vinegarette and squeeze of lime with cilantro on top. Yum!
  • Great ideas!! Salads are always great. I like baby spinach, mushrooms, gorgonzola and bacon with a balsamic vinaigrette.
  • Quote: mixed greens with strawberries, goat cheese and balsamic vinegar. i LOVE the sweet taste when the 3 are mixed together. (hope it's ok that i posted here!!)
    the other day I had greens with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar with toasted pita chips. omg, that was amazingly good. the strawberries would be a great addition to that.

tonight is a salad with tomato, cucumber, yellow pepper, a goat cheese I bought at the farmers market today, with a mustard vinagrette (with fresh garlic, yum), a couple of slices of demi baguette. homemade ice tea.

it's been a hot muggy weekend here. melon would have been good for later, but we alreayd have a lot of fruit in the house that won't keep.

bf came up with this: put the milk in a metal cup in the freezer with a touch of vanilla. get sort of an ice creamy cool treat, is good.

oh, I saw sweet snap peas at the farmers market today and tried a couple. those taste GREAT, never had those before.