Do you have a swimming pool?

• We would very much like to get a pool and just looking at what is available out there. An in-ground pool is out of the question (way too expensive) though it would be my preference. We are looking at above ground pools and I have been seeing ads for the blue soft sided pools for only a few hundred $$ where the steel framed pools are at least $2,000 plus. I'm rather thinking about these soft sided pools because they do have the larger sizes which is what I would like, some of them are the same size as the more expensive ones. I haven't done a lot of research into them, how are they for general wear and tear and maintenance? I'm thinking if we got one of these and made it last a few years while we saved up for an in-ground pool. Does anyone have any experience with any kind of pool or know anyone who does? I'd be interested in hearing any information you might have.
  • We have a pool in the backyard here. It's a 22 foot I believe, above ground steel framed pool. We've had it since 1985. We've only had to replace the liner once. A few years ago we made the switch from chlorine to salt water, and it's much better on the skin (and hair). My dad is in the process of filling the pool and stabilizing the PH right now. It's really not too big of an expense. We only run the filter when we're in the pool (to save on electricity), we have a home made solar heater (black rubber tubing coiled under a sheet of thick glass). The only big expense other than the pool itself would be installing a fence high enough for local bylaws if you don't already have one (and a lockable gate, a padlock is adequate).
  • we have a small above ground pool and let me tell you there a lotta work!!!!!
  • Would be awesome but dont' see it ever happening lol
  • Had one for several years and loved it. Our was a steel side, very hard to put up and maintaining the water sometimes was rough. Am wanting one now and am thinking about a soft side. Hope this helps. You might check on Craigslist and see if there are any deals. Good luck....

Lanniedo
  • We have a soft sided,and while we love it,the pumps they sell with the pool are way to small.We haven't bought a larger one yet,and if we try going again with the packaged one,we'll have to drain the pool and refill it half way through the summer season.So you're still putting some money into it either way you purchase.Another thing I'm seeing,are salt water filters.They are even more expensive,and I'm not sure how the softsided pools would hold up,but chemical wise,you would save some.