Anybody read "The End Of Overeating" by David Kessler

• I'm just starting, it's amazing science. I would like to discuss it if anybody is interested.
  • Hi Hermit girl, I have the book in audio but haven't gotten around to listen to it. I am interested in the subject and read some other books around the same line (namely Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food & The Onmnivore's Dilemma. Pretty good reads and eye openers also!!!
  • I'm in part two. Fascinating I tell you ! People, get into the science of why we overeat, and read this !

Caribeangirl ~ I am a fan of Pollan, and having my eyes opened ! .
  • Hi everyone! I keep web links that interest me, and I found this article on Web MD about Kessler's thoughts. Is the book an expansion of this article? link here

I thought the article was fascinating and helpful, and led me to cutting out those "hyper-palatable foods" altogether. I think if people really understood that addiction-like pathways are formed in the brain by these foods, that they might be more likely to remove them totally.
  • I also have read some other Neuroscience books, so all the lingo is starting to gel.. about behavior and repetition and neurons wiring together. Yeah, Hyperpalatable foods, that's all my buttered toast and milk chocolate is. If I keep them out of the house, I usually do alright .

For instance, I can eat whole wheat toast with peanut butter and get away with one piece, but if it's white sourdough French bread and butter, I toast up near half a loaf and gobs of butter on each piece, before I can stop. Or I can eat dark chocolate and feel satisfied with just an ounce, not so with milk chocolate... just like the lab rats, I eat past the bliss point into feeling sick, as I know now, it's because of repetative times in past I did just that.

I can rewire my behavior in food, and then it will stick, but I have to make it habitual. Anyway, I have not read enough yet, still reading, to make too many comments. More later.
  • I just read an excerpt of the book & found it quite interesting. I may very well order it. Thanks y'all!