20-Somethings WW Chat Thread - JUNE

You're on Page 7 of 8
Go to
  • I'm into grazing too broadway dreamer, but mostly because I'm too lazy to pack real lunch and usually too busy to get away for more than a couple minutes. I'll generally take a bag of snap peas, a granola bar (I'm in love with the kashi mocha almond bar right now), some spicy dried veggie mix if I have it, and then run out for a latte or a Jamba Juice depending on what I'm in the mood for. I also usually start off with a pretty big breakfast before I leave the house.

KayNicole- I did my first C25K run/walk this morning. I think it went pretty well, by which I mean I wasn't wishing for death when it was over. Does it get easier or does it stay hard?

Zanheltangia- My labmates are all really into the World Cup, and I keep having to explain that I'm just not the sports watching sort. Or doing for that matter... Did you wind up going?

Last night's weigh-in went better than expected. I lost 0.4 lbs for the second week in a row. I normally go up about a pound the week before TOM, which was supposed to be this week, so I'm kind of wondering what's going on. On the other hand, being under 140 for the second week in a row is a nice feeling, and I'm hoping I can stay here.
  • Nah, I have no plans on going. And it turns out that it is this Saturday, so that really shows that it's definitely not going to happen since I cannot even remember when it is, .

Also they'll have a Brazillian dish (basically cheese bread) with a lot of juice and coffee, so those are some points I am definitely saving by avoiding that place! Haha. I would cave so bad when it came to the bread, I could see and taste it now, .

I had a bad experience with Pizza last weekend, so I know better than to put myself in that room, .

Oh, I made the black bean soup that's on the WW site (even got a brand new food processor to play with), and it was really good (I goofed up and used veg soup in a box instead of the broth and spiked it with crystal hot sauce, so that made it all the more tasty, ) 3pts for 1 & 1/2 cups of the stuff.

But the food processor has a disk for slicing and shredding, so it will definitely come in handy for veggy prep! It's gonna get a lot easier for me to get my veggies in now that I have no excuse when it comes to being lazy. I'm thinking of making a veggy slaw with a little vinegar and oil based-dressing to go with the soup. So, I'll be set and that'll keep me on track for the end of June.

How are you guys doing? Fighting temptation or content?
  • Ms GenghisCohen- Congrats on completing your first C25k run! As far as getting easier, it comes in waves. Sometimes it is really hard and sometimes you feel like you could keep going even though he says you are done. Overall it gets easier but the program gets harder too so it's kind of hard to explain. I am only at 5 minute runs right now.

zanheltangia- that soup sounds great, I am going to go look for that recipe.
  • Went out after work, running in Rock Creek park and rehearsal to finally buy a scale. I resisted all temptation to try it then and when I got out the shower this morning, I finally used it. And I'm up a pound. I'm pretty sure it's from this past weekend's alcohol and snack filled madness but it just still was a bummer. I refuse to let it get me down this time though. I am finally starting to feel better about myself and I'm not letting a number get in the way. Nor am I going to let the bowl of reese's cups on the intern's desk get in my way.

Here's a question for you all: When you're out with friends and you just order something appetizer sized or just a salad and soup, do they ever comment and try to stop you? For example last night at Bertuccis, I was hungry but not starving and not in the mood for pasta so I just ordered a salad and didn't have any bread (one of my great weakness is Bertucci's bread, I have a few friends who work there and bring it to rehearsal). My 6'1" skinny male friend says "what are you doing? why aren't you eating?" and I said "I'm cheap and not that hungry." Then another friend says to me "you don't need to diet, you look great." My boyfriend just held my hand and told them to stop pestering me. But then throughout the dinner, they proceeded to try to get me to have some of their food and eat the bread. I get that my friends are being supportive and it's nice to hear them say that but between my doctor and myself I'm pretty sure I've got a lot of signs that I'm doing the right thing. How do you deal with friends like that?
  • Just stay firm about it, Broadway. Repeat yourself if you have to, but make it clear that you don't want what they are offering and don't let yourself by pressured into eating something you don't want.
    You are working on losing weight as you and your doctor have planned, and obviously the Doc wouldn't be on board with it if it wouldn't improve your health so use that as your canned response. Sure they might not think that losing some weight is needed and that's nice and all, but you're changing your lifestyle to improve your health and well being, so tell 'em to keep their ish breadsticks and high-calorie food to theirselves, .

Don't let it derail you, as you show them that you are serious, hopefully they'll stop hovering over you and instead be encouraging? Looks like your boyfriend is willing to lend you a hand,
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Black bean soup.

1 spray(s) cooking spray
    1 medium onion(s), finely chopped
    4 medium garlic clove(s), minced
    45 oz canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz cans)
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
    1 tsp ground cumin
    14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
    10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel Tomatoes
    11 oz canned yellow corn, drained

Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot.

Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.

Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving (3pts).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here you go, Kay, in case you couldn't find it.

((Notes: I am not crazy about chilies, so I used the can with lime juice and tomatoes instead. I also pulsed the onions a few times too many. I was too lazy to chop them, I had sliced and processed them in the food processor, so it blended in where they were not chunks but that was fine in my opinion. I had a spice mix (no salt version) that I used along with the hot sauce for the seasoning and like I posted above, I goofed and used a veggy soup box instead of plain broth, so it turned out nice and thick and thinned nicely as it heated up.))
  • So very true zanheltangia! Thanks for the support, I'll keep repeating it next time to them and to myself. By the way, that soup looks so great, I think I may try it next week.

Ms GenghisCohen and KayNicole - way to go on keeping up with the C25K! Personally, I've been doing a lot of interval training with running/jogging but I've been thinking about looking into the program after all the success I see/hear about it on 3FC.
  • Broadway- I think we all have a friend or two like yours. I find that the friends that push me to eat more or not worry about a diet are people who struggle with their own diet. Sometimes it's like they are trying to feel better by taking someone down with them. I ignore them but honestly if it continues and begins to affect you I would say something like "I appreciate that you don't feel I need to watch what I eat but I have committed myself to a change for my life, for my heart, for me and I would appreciate you supporting my efforts rather than working against me."

I would recommend C25K! Especially if you have already been doing some running/jogging. It shouldn't seem too hard at first.

zanheltangia- I did find it, thank you though!! I am pretty darn sure this is what I am making for dinner. My stomach is growling just thinking about it. Thanks for the tips too!
  • Yeah, I am all for recipes like that one. I can easily pick up an onion when needed, but the rest I could have found in my pantry, no prob.

Oh, and be sure to watch/scrap the bottom of the pot often when it comes to the 20/25-minute simmer. I ended up with a thin layer to toss when I got distracted! /facepalm.

Some of the other WW recipes take unusual ingredients (for my kitchen), so that tends to be a major pain. Heck, I still have a pie crust and a box of jello mix sitting in the pantry and a tub of whipped topping in the freezer for the second jello/whip topping pie I never made when I discovered it was diet-dangerous for me,
  • Well I forgot my husband was working and going to have the car so I didn't get out to the store to pick up black beans for that soup. But I made a lentil chili instead and it came out REALLY good. I had 2 bowls! I am all screwy tonight though. I ate early and then fell asleep on the couch around 8. Got up and had another bowl of soup and then went to bed around 10. My husband came home from work around 2 and woke me up a couple of times. By the time he came to bed at 4 I was up. No more eating late and getting up early!

I did at least get in a 30 minute walk and my C25K training today.
  • Hey guys, sorry I've been so absent lately. Things have been crazy! Last week I worked 3 days, spent one at the beach (woohoo!) and the other spent 6 hours in the car to get to Cambridge and back to find a place to live. But thankfully we don't have to go back again before we move because we found a very nice flat that we've paid the deposit for now. Yay! In other news, my calories were all over the place and I developed an awful cold, which killed my appetite as well as my desire to make healthy food for myself and my boyfriend while he was visiting. Aaaargh.

You guys all seem to be doing great and I'm so pleased when there's new posts here to read (I've been reading them the last couple days, just not replying!).

I started C25k today. Just got back from my W1D1 run. It was going great, and I think I may have even been able to jump straight to W2 but I got a terrible cramp in my side on the second-to-last run and had to walk for the rest of the time because it wouldn't leave! My boyfriend says I don't breathe hard enough when I run and that causes stitches, and I know sometimes I'm even guilty of holding my breath. Any ideas on how to stop them KayNicole and Ms GengisCohn as you've got a bit more experience? Do you think it's my breathing or should I eat something beforehand or some kind of stretch or something? I am just getting over my cold and wonder if it's related to those breathing issues. Any advice appreciated.

One month until my beach vacation and my goal is still to wear a bikini. Being at the beach the other day was both a confidence boost and a downer. The girls behind us, who gossiped and chattered about such menial things all afternoon, work at a place called Spearmint Rhino (they were talking about work a lot - it's a strip club) and were prancing around in thongs and etc so that kicked me down a bit. But then there were a lot of people about my size who looked happy and confident in their bikinis and that made me feel good. So we'll see if I get up the courage to do it or not!

The scale, due to my cold and the last week of throwing WW points out the window, is up a bit but I am hoping to see a 150.# number again tomorrow in time for the last Biggest Loser weigh-in.

Sorry for the long post - feels like I haven't been here in ages! Hope you've all had an excellent weekend and good luck with the upcoming week!
  • freedom- don't let the strippers get you down! I don't really know what to do about the cramping, that happens to me too sometimes. It might help to take in a little more potassium. I've been eating a lot of bananas and taking a multivitamin lately and I don't think I've gotten a cramp in a couple weeks. I've also found that when it happens the best thing to do is slow down, breathe really deep and lift your arms above your head.

I'm really proud of myself for surviving the Brew's, Blues and BBQ festival yesterday. It was beastly hot out, so after wilting outside for a bit we wound up at an indoor BBQ restaurant. I had one really good beer and a salad with smoked catfish on it, and only one bite of amazing cornbread filled with bacon and chipotle peppers.

I have a bunch or work I need to get done but instead I'm laying on my couch watching Ace of Cakes. Hope you all are having a similarly relaxing weekend!
  • Hey everyone.
    Freedom It is so weird to hear you talking about the beach and bikinis. It is SO cold here! Lol.

Currently I have my adorable kitten on my shoulders. She is too cute. I will a pic and put in on here soon I think.

I have just got back from an intense workout and did Zumba last night! OMG so much fun! Would totally recommend it. So feeling pretty good about weigh in tomorrow. Hoping to get to 15kg which is 0.9kg/2lbs away.

Ok I should shower. I am so gross from the gym lol.

Hugs to all xxx
  • Hey everyone. I did finally get to make that soup. Super yummy! But again I did the weird eating routine today and had too much. I didn't work out AT ALL Saturday or Sunday! Saturday was just a lazy day and today was much better. I got a lot done around the house but I have a knot in my calf today that is driving me nuts! So I took another rest day from C25K since I was doing it too often anyway. I am thinking about starting up tomorrow with week 5. Scary!!
    Freedomereins- Glad to hear you got some beach time in! I can't wait to hear how your C25K training comes along. I find I get cramps in my side when I drink too much before or during my run. As far as breathing... I am no expert but I know I end up breathing pretty hard. I am self conscious about it sometimes. lol
  • I'm not even dressed yet but I'm so excited. Guess what I saw this morning!

150.0!

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That is my lowest weight. I haven't seen that number in about a year and a half now I think. Once I hit it last time I stopped, so this time I'm determined to push through to my ultimate goal of 145. This has been such a rough month, and I didn't always make the best choices. In the end I've only lost 1.4lbs this month which sucks but this is the confidence boost I needed this morning!

Thanks for your input on the running ladies, I will give your suggestions a try! Well done on sticking with it for so long, KayNicole. I'm one of those people that tend to give up after a couple of weeks so I have a lot of admiration for you!

Have a happy Monday everyone!
  • Yay Freedom! I am excited for you. I soooo cant wait to see that number! Congrats hun x