Bathing Suit Solutions Thread?

• Hi gang:

I bought a new bathing suit yesterday since my kid wants to go swimming over Memorial weekend.

Normally I just go to Speedo.com and find a solid ultraback Speedo with conservative cut in a new color I haven't had in years past. They are excellent for lap swim and water aerobics so for a long time that was my bathing suit solution. I just live with the price tag of $60-$80 because they tend to last me at least 2-3 seasons since most of my swim time is late spring and summer only.

I didn't want to spend that much this year though, and was pleasantly surprised to find a 2 piece solution for $45 at Target.

The top is an XXL racerback black and white geometric from the Maternity area. The bottom is a skirted 20/22W from the Women's area. I'd tried it with a back panty bottom and boy shorts but liked the skirt best. Helps minimize my problem areas.

So here I am in my bathing suit solution:

This is 5'8" apple shape -- most of my bulk is in my stomach and rear -- all central.

255 lbs.

Size 20/22W bottom and XXL top.

$45 at Target.

Anyone else want to post their plus size bathing suit solution for this year? I thought it would be cool to see all the different ways people tackle the bathing suit thing.

A.
  • I love that suit! I'm going to Target today and I'm going to try and find a decent one. My problem is that I have an enormous chest and built-in cups look really funny on me (obviously, because they don't fit! ) I usually get my bathing suits from LL Bean or Lands End. One of them (I don't remember which) has a new(?) option for larger bust sizes... and they're cute too! But so ever loving expensive. Sigh. I guess it would make sense to invest in one or two but it's frustrating.

Thanks for the Target idea- I honestly wouldn't have thought to even look there.
  • I don't have any pictures of me in my bathing suit... YET! I was tired of bathing suits that don't fit, so I invested in a top - bottoms are no problem for me, I picked some up at Old Navy for $10. I spent $110 bucks on the top, and it was worth every penny. We spend 2 weeks on the beach each summer, and I was tired of feeling uncomfortable. This new suit has underwire for my girls, and finally I can cover my belly button - most bathing suits were too short - this one is long!

ETA : I got mine at SwimCo, they were VERY helpful!

Yours is REALLY cute! Lookin' good! I'm definitely going to check out Target next time I'm in the USA!

-Aimee
  • I don't really swim, but my youngest wants to take swim lessons like big sissy, and the only option at our local pool for her age and height is Big Fish/Little Fish. I was mortified to even think about wearing a swim suit at this weight, but then I read an article about negative self talk and how it causes women to totally let their life and fulfilling opportunities pass them by - specifically not doing family pics because we're too fat, not playing with the kids because we're too fat/our thighs have cellulite/our tummy has stretch marks/etc etc etc. It hit home, and I ordered a swim suit.

I live in Rural nowhere Oregon , so no Target, no opportunity to go and try on. I ordered from Lands End, and just ordered some different sizes with free shipping that I could try on, and if I didn't like them, return them to Sears next time we went to the "big city"

I got their supplex swim shorts - I went with the Womens sizing because I am a true pear shape. I got a 16W and 18W. They both fit, the 16s are a bit tighter, but I could still wear them. They are super nice, and give me some more coverage, which makes me more confident. They really are very roomy, and I was worried about thigh issues - I have big thighs! But thankfully I don't have any.

I also got last year's Aqua Terra tankini with cross back straps - I love it! It's very thick, and that makes me feel better too. And it was only $18 in their clearance It's orange on the sides, with a geometric pattern on the middle front and back. I did order also a halter top swim top, I am still on the fence about that one - it's kind of thin. DH says it looks great, but it does show a lot of cleavage so I think that might be his motivation LOL. I figure I'll wear it in our pop up pool if nothing else. The tops I ordered were size 16 and 18, and they work great.

Your pics make me want to drive to Target and check out their selection of tankini tops! I plan to take water aerobics this summer, and would love one more top, and another pair of bottoms if I could find something.
  • Oh, cool... I tend to forget about LL Bean and Land's End and I don't think I've ever heard of SwimCo!

I found some more online places not mentioned yet...

http://www.jms.com

http://www.womanwithin.com

http://www.junonia.com

Target online has some more choices I did not see at my store too.

http://www.target.com

HTH!

A.
  • You look really nice in that suit. I bought one at Kohl's last year...a two piece but it had a regular bottom that shows my thighs (not a pretty look for me!). The problem I have is swimming in some of these tankini types, especially the ones with the skirt like you have. They tend to pop up when I swim and it really bothers me. Let us know how you do when you go in the pool with it. It really does look nice though.
  • I used to have a swim dress that would pop up and make me crazy. Looked cute enough on dry land, but I'm a lap swim person, not a sunbathe person.

I'm hoping that going with two piece helps minimize the poofing up, but I'll def report back!

A.
  • Just My Size has some decently priced suits.

I also really like Landsend, but unlike their clothing, I am finding their bathing suits run a little small. I had ordered mix and match separates that turned out to be way too small (Misses 18DD top and 14 bottom). But it was from their overstocks section and only $17 total for both pieces so I am keeping them since they will fit at some point. So then I ordered another mix and match set (20W but they don't have DD and 16 Misses skirtini) and that's too small too! Not by that much now, though, I tried it on again this morning and I think pretty soon.

• astrophe -

You look really cute, great find!!
  • Astrophe, that looks GREAT!

I don't really have any photos of me in a bathing suit...except where my husband has taken naughty shots of my boobs. You *probably* don't want to see those, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to share. LOL

I have a $45 suit I bought last season. It's a black halter neck top with red ruffles on the tie. The bottom is a panty bottom. I actually feel pretty good in it! I also have a $15 Kristina jobbie from Zellers. It's bright red. The top is a tank, with scalloping around the bottom and the bottoms are also panty. Both size 14.

I'll scout around to see what kind of G rated photos I can find, but I'm not sure how to post them.

Okay, here's one of some of the top: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...f&id=668695309

And my backside: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...f&id=668695309

I may have better ones at home.

Here's full front, mixing & matching the suits: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=668695309
  • Cute suits apostrophe and peanut's mom!

I too am a Land's End fan. They have sizes that fit my bust. I found a really cute and flattering suit there last year but I was 45 pounds larger last summer than I am right now so it doesn't fit. I loved the suit but I'll take being smaller any day.

So, I ordered an adjustible tunic top and ruffle mini swim mini from lands end. It should be arriving any day now. I've been leery of the swim mini's due to a worry of them floating up when I swim. The one I ordered is more like a boyshort and is not loose so hopefully I will have no trouble.
  • I love the suits! You guys look great! Very cute for pool lounging!

My size problem is that I am between sizes and moving down. 14's are just on the big side so I don't want to buy them, but 12's are small. So I just went to Land's End and found a size 12 that is pretty tight, but it won't be long before it's comfortable. I rather like it. It's brown with tummy control and all kinds of bunching sewn into the tummy area. It has a modest bodice that's cute the way it's sewn. And hey...it's a 12!
  • astrophe - turns out swimco is a western Canada thing, which would explain why you haven't heard of it.

-Aimee
  • I was in a suit I loved that was a tankini but it was an 18W and when I swam in it this spring it was floating off me in the hot tub. It was huge on me. I bought a 16 at Kohls. It's a one piece in a blue floral print, VERY cute. It does show my thighs which are very big, but they will be a lot smaller by the end of summer and once I am in the pool no one can see them anyway, so I don' care. I love the print!