Our Own New Sub Forum.

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: I've given a lot of thought to when the daily chat closes, for a number of reasons, not the least of which because I know that most of what I post after 2:00 pm HST gets lost in the shuffle to move on to the next day. Put personal observations aside, I think I can see a pattern that we might capitalize on.

By 8:00 pm Hawaii Standard Time it is 2:00 am the next day on the east coast, 11:00 pm the same day, with time gradients on 3 hours in between. By the time I see Jessica's last post of the day, I generally say to myself, Well, that's it. I'm not at all against keeping the post open a few, up to 24 hours. On the other hand, I think many people won't bother to go back and read the yesterday posts if for no other reason than the fact that they can't remember where they left off.

My suggestion, based on daily activity and because we are committed to a daily thread, is to start the new thread at 2:00 am Eastern time. That way, no matter what time zone one's in, most people's posts will be encapsulated into a time frame that gives everyone a logic unity and Pacific and Hawai'i "late" posts get read. Like every other suggestion, this one has flaws, but I also think it is the most inclusive in that it gets more people's posts read.

And while I'm at it, is it possible to bring up the idea of a weekend post again?
    Quote: From the perspective of an early riser on the East Coast, I don't read many of the previous day's posts until the next morning, and that's when I actually have time to respond. If you shut it down at 2:00 AM, I don't get my shot. I'm SURE you don't want that!

Can we start a new one and direct people there, but leave a half day for those in the "Far East" (as we used to call it in Alaska) to respond to the posts of the previous night?

I'm SVELTING!! I need you in on this, please!

Ok, I got a message back from Ruth and she is going to allow the person who opened the thread, I'm Svelting (for as long as she'll do it and isn't on vacation or burden by it, if that is ok by her), also close the thread. If I'm Svelting were for some reason unable to open a thread for us, anyone could open a new thread (please use her format for the first post) and then they or a moderator could be asked to close it at the appropriate time.

As I see it, there is no sure fire way to get people to read posts when they are ready to move on to the next day. All we can do is hope to give an opportunity for those who want to fully participate in posting to do so. We can hope for the best, that others will be interested enough to post and to check back to see what happens. Also, for anyone new from the west coast, they will appreciate having the opportunity to both post and read with their local "pals".

Linden, I can see you put a great deal of thought into the logistics of this. I really appreciate it as do the others, I am sure. Unfortunately, I am afraid a 2 am east coast open for the other side may be inconvenient for I'm Svelting to open that early. It would also mean that someone on the west coast would have to open the threads and then close them and honestly, I think I'm Svelting is doing a wonderful job with her chosen involvement.

I would like to propose, let us begin today by leaving this days thread open until well through tomorrow. Open tomorrows thread and leave it open well into Thursday. We will always have 2 open days. It allows one day for catch up and keeps the west and east coast participating fully.

I guess I am saying ... we can't dictate WHEN people DO, we CAN'T control WHAT people do, But, we can PROVIDE OPPORTUNITY for people TO DO.

Is that ok for everyone? Can anyone see anything I am missing or a better suggestion.

Thanks!
  • Quote: I'm SVELTING!! I need you in on this, please!

As I see it, there is no sure fire way to get people to read posts when they are ready to move on to the next day. All we can do is hope to give an opportunity for those who want to fully participate in posting to do so. We can hope for the best that others will have be interested enough to see what happens. Also, for anyone new from the west coast, they will appreciate having the opportunity to both post and read with their local "pals".

I guess I am saying ... we can't dictate WHEN people DO, we CAN'T control WHAT people do, But, we can PROVIDE OPPORTUNITY for people TO DO.

Is that ok for everyone? Can anyone see anything I am missing or a better suggestion.

Thanks!
    Works for me... I think
  • Quote: From the perspective of an early riser on the East Coast, I don't read many of the previous day's posts until the next morning, and that's when I actually have time to respond. If you shut it down at 2:00 AM, I don't get my shot. I'm SURE you don't want that!
    I certainly don't want that, at least until we've all received the padded, steel-plated butt shields currently ordered in new smaller sizes.
    Quote: I'm SVELTING!! I need you in on this, please!

Ok, I got a message back from Ruth and she is going to allow the person who opened the thread, I'm Svelting (for as long as she'll do it and isn't on vacation or burden by it, if that is ok by her), also close the thread. If I'm Svelting were for some reason unable to open a thread for us, anyone could open a new thread (please use her format for the first post) and then they or a moderator could be asked to close it at the appropriate time. ...
    Carla, if we want to go with 2 am ET closing the old and opening the new thread, you're right that I would need to let someone else take it on. I certainly could show someone how to set up the links post.

Linden, how would it work for you if I closed the thread between 3 pm EDT and 5:30 pm EDT? I should be able to get a couple of minutes within that window most days.

Opening and closing the thread works for me and is kind of what I was doing when you were more involved in "real world" stuff and Ruth was on vacation. There wasn't as much discussion about it. I was mostly closing threads when I remembered to close them.

What do you think about my leaving a message in the old thread with a link to the new one and suggesting that people multi-quote from the old and then reply in the new thread.
  • Quote: I certainly don't want that, at least until we've all received the padded, steel-plated butt shields currently ordered in new smaller sizes.
    In response to the threat of closing the daily thread at 2:00AM, I have arranged for the cancellation of said butt shields. So proceed at your own risk.
  • Quote: Linden: While you're still in Hawaii, would you be willing to start the next day's thread at 8 pm your time?
    I could, but I don't know about the summary. I could try. Still, I don't think the old thread should be closed at 2:00 am. Just open the new one before most people on the east coast get up.
  • Quote:
    Can we start a new one and direct people there, but leave a half day for those in the "Far East" (as we used to call it in Alaska) to respond to the posts of the previous night?
    That's what I thought I was suggesting but I guess I wasn't too clear. Emendation after reading Carla's last post: 1 day is good, too.

Truthfully, I was just throwing out the idea to try to understand other peoples' perspectives; not to rotate the world on a different axis.
  • Quote: I certainly don't want that, at least until we've all received the padded, steel-plated butt shields currently ordered in new smaller sizes.

Carla, if we want to go with 2 am ET closing the old and opening the new thread, you're right that I would need to let someone else take it on. I certainly could show someone how to set up the links post.

Linden, how would it work for you if I closed the thread between 3 pm EDT and 5:30 pm EDT? I should be able to get a couple of minutes within that window most days.

Opening and closing the thread works for me and is kind of what I was doing when you were more involved in "real world" stuff and Ruth was on vacation. There wasn't as much discussion about it. I was mostly closing threads when I remembered to close them.

What do you think about my leaving a message in the old thread with a link to the new one and suggesting that people multi-quote from the old and then reply in the new thread.
    Quote: I could, but I don't know about the summary. I could try. Still, I don't think the old thread should be closed at 2:00 am. Just open the new one before most people on the east coast get up.
    Svelting, I am confused! Are you saying you are going to give up doing the daily thread? Can you close threads opened by other people. I never could and the past information I had was only the original opener and a moderator could do that function.

I don't understand where the issue is with have the two threads open simultaneously. It makes it easy for people who need time to catch up. And, for those that don't want to post in the wrong place, then they should read a bit more carefully. This board is for the convenience and inclusion of all and not a few.

I must be missing something because I can't understand why a sunday post opened by an east coaster can't be closed on tuesday as the east coaster opens tuesday. Yes, Mondays post, also opened early by and east coaster will be open but can be closed Wednesday as they open the new Wednesday post. It becomes a rolling cycle with 2 posts open for a long enough window for anyone to participate.

Given that we are driving new people to the daily chat threads for nearly ALL their posts, they might like the time to see and respond to people who actually took time to respond.

Just my opinion.
  • Quote: In response to the threat of closing the daily thread at 2:00AM, I have arranged for the cancellation of said butt shields. So proceed at your own risk.
    Foiled again! Darn fed gov agencies with their shadowy connections and secret powers.
    Quote: I could, but I don't know about the summary. I could try. Still, I don't think the old thread should be closed at 2:00 am. Just open the new one before most people on the east coast get up.
    Well Carla and Ruth, it looks like the critical votes are in ... our Far East early bird and our tropical owl in Hawai'i agree on a plan. As I said, it works for me and is no different from what I was doing last week and the week before -- once I noticed that as the thread initiator I could close it.

Quote: Svelting, I am confused! Are you saying you are going to give up doing the daily thread? Can you close threads opened by other people. I never could and the past information I had was only the original opener and a moderator could do that function.

I don't understand where the issue is with have the two threads open simultaneously. It makes it easy for people who need time to catch up. And, for those that don't want to post in the wrong place, then they should read a bit more carefully. This board is for the convenience and inclusion of all and not a few.
    Nope, I wasn't suggesting giving up starting the daily thread. My paragraph about opening and closing threads was a stumbling way of saying this: I'm okay, in fact delighted, with what you proposed. It's exactly what I was doing from August 21 to Sept. 4.

As for the rest of my rambling, poorly constructed post, I could clarify a lot of it, but I think sorting it out after generally agreeing on how to proceed (see previous paragraph) will be a waste of bandwidth, internet and mental.
  • Quote: I am confused!
    They say imitation is the most serious form of flattery. I believe I'm confused, too. Although I may have jumped Carla's gun and been both the one to confuse and be confused.

And did the weekend chat get lost in the shuffle? (It would give whoever does this a day of rest [and chance to go out Saturday night]).

So. If I'm in the loop to do something, point me in the right direction. And if not, thank you, thank you thank you I'm Svelting! for getting us this far.
  • Here's my understanding of what we're trying for a little while:
    1. I will open a new daily thread each day sometime between 6 am and 8 am EDT. (I should be more consistent with bed and wake times, but I'm not these days. vis: my posts on this board)
    2. I will post in the old daily thread that the new thread is open, provide a link, and request that people start today's chat in the new thread and only respond to late night posts in the old thread. (Haven't worked out the wording, hoping some sleep will help with that.)
    3. Sometime between 3 and 5 pm each day, I will close the old thread.
    This will give us two daily threads, a "today" and a "yesterday," open between 6 am and 5 pm at most, 8 am - 3 pm EDT at least.

Linden I don't think we've discussed your request about a weekend thread. Let's continue the conversation.
  • Quote: Linden I don't think we've discussed your request about a weekend thread. Let's continue the conversation.
    My thinking was fairly simple. We never reach the limit over the weekend. So why not let you sleep in one morning? And let everyone do their own recapping at their leisure?
  • Anyone cans tart the Daily thread so no lessons needed.
  • Quote: Anyone can start the Daily thread so no lessons needed.
    You're absolutely right. However we agreed a few weeks ago that putting helpful links in the first post makes it easier to make suggestions to new people by saying, "There's info about [topic] and links on the first post in this thread." That's what I was talking about when I said I would need to show someone what to do.

Edit:
    Quote: My thinking was fairly simple. We never reach the limit over the weekend. So why not let you sleep in one morning? And let everyone do their own recapping at their leisure?
    How did I miss this? Sleeping in on Sundays ... I you! Kisses!