Doing our own thing! #5

You're on Page 8 of 23
Go to
  • Come on now Jo...we all did it. YOU can do it!!!!!
  • Good Morning Ladies!

Sorry.......I had to run to the hospital and have an Ultra sound done. I'm waiting for my dr. to call me back. They are trying to rule out Gallstones. I just want to know what the problem is and get it fixed! The pain can be very intense.

Tig & Tiff ~ I want in! I too do WATP and have weights at home. 2, 5 & 8. I'll go look for the book sometime this week. So move over and make room for mama .

Let's see what do I like about my body?

I like my hands, have long slender fingers.
    I like my complexion, except for these freakin freckles (now where the heck they came form I have no idea!)
    I like my skin, it's pretty soft and tans easily. NOT that I try to tan. (sidenote: I told my blonde haired, blue eyed cousin one day while she was out tanning that it was white people like her that made black people like me have to get a tan! HA. But what it took her to do in 2 hours, I could do in 20 mins , hehe).

I went out Saturday night w/ my SIL and I have no idea how age came into play, but no could believe that I'm 35. . I just hope when I'm 40 people still won't believe it! I hope the black side of my gene pool kicks in and keeps the wrinkles to a minium .

Oh yeah, down 5.5 pounds, don't really know how it's possible, seeing as how I have been so laxed. I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that Aunt Flo has packed her bags for another 3-4 weeks.
  • YAY!!! Another one on the bandwagon! I went out at lunch time and bought my ankle weights and my 10 pound weights. They were completely out of 8 pound weights, so I am having Mike pick up a set of 8's from the other Walmart on his way home. Then I will be ready to go. I am willing to wait a week for us all to begin together. The ones of us that are going to...Dyan, Tig, Semo and me so far...DNW is an old pro and already lifts....she won't be doing this "sissy program" with us newbies!

Ahhhh..the first day of fall. How beautiful it is here today!

I DREAD going to the Weight Watchers meeting tonight, I had one good day this week. LOL, Just one day of being on program. And the worst news was, this morning when I snuck onto my scale, I almost crapped down my leg. Last Tuesday, I was at 227. Today when I stepped on it, it said 235. HOW THE HECK DOES THAT HAPPEN??? IN ONE WEEK????

EIGHT POUNDS? I know I am yelling, but I was MAD. Well, then I went to the bathroom and was in there for a while, if you know what I mean, so I probably lost a pound there....LOL....but still. Holy crap-ola. I am bloated too, but I can't wait to see the face of the leader when I weigh in at 5 pounds over last week. YIKES.

So, I will post that bad news tonight. Tomorrow morning is my official "for the Halloween Challenge" weigh in, so I will post THAT bad news tomorrow on the challenge thread.

I have a feeling I will be playing with those same few pounds for a couple of weeks. BLAH.

Tiff
  • Just hop'n in real quick...
    the litte book store in town ordered the book for me, it will be here wed or thur...then i need to determine what weights i need to buy. all i have are 2lb hand weights.
    i'm excited to be getting an exercise plan set up instead of just flying by the seat of my pants. now, if i could do the same for my menu...hope'n the book helps in that area too. me, organized...LOL!
  • crapped down your leg, crack me up
    i hope to have book and weights and ready to go by next Monday or sooner!
  • Maybe this is what I need to get me motivated again. We can pump some iron and whittle away some inches.

Dyan, my sister and I are simular to you and your cousin. My sis is dark complexion and tans in a matter of hours, and will be darker in a couple of days than I am at the end of summer when I'm trying to tan. I've never been a sun worshiper and guess it's paid off because I have very few wrinkles. Sis has always laughted at my attempts at tanning lotions (well some have had some rather amusing results) She and my oldest brother have cold black hair with brown eyes and dark complexions (father's side of the family) and the other three of us are fair skined, blue eyed and light brown hair. (mother's side) Most people don't think that we are sisters.

Okay, I'm jetting again, boy the end of the month sure rolls around in a hurry.
  • You guys ROCK!!!! I am so excited.

I flipped through there, and I am thinking that 5, 8 and 10 would be good to start. Bicep curls are pretty easy for most people and I think the 10's would be good there. Some of the others, like the Lateral Raises, where you stand and lift your arms out to the sides, up to shoulder level...those may need lower weights. I dang well couldn't do 10 pounds at this stage, not without jerking them up. And even if you wanted to start with 8 for the bicep curls and work up...

This will sound lame. But I would wait until you get the book...then look at the exercises, and then go to Wal-mart and try out the weights.

Kathy says that when we start out, we will be doing 18-20 reps and that the last few should be very difficult to do, and that is how you know you have the right weight. If they are easy to do all the way through, you need to move up to the next weight. And if you start dying at rep 12, then you need to drop down a weight. So, I think you will have to really just go to Walmart with a friend, and have them hide you, and just try out the different size weights and see what you think for some of the exercises.

I can give you a heads up on which exercises are in the book, so you will have an idea....

Tiff
  • Hi Everyone:

Even though I am an "old pro" with the weights it's mostly book knowledge, I've stopped and started 2-3 times. Right now I am back on, so I may pick up the book too that you all are using to see if I'm on target.

But it's great to know that we can all try to accomplish this goal together.

Biggest initial benefits (I noticed these at about 8 weeks of lifting) for me always were much better posture, backaches around the bra-line area disappeared, waist and thighs got smaller, and all this with just a 10 lb. weight loss over 3 months.

Tiff: I wonder if that 5 lb. gain could be salt intake that's holding your weight up? I have seen my weight go up 8 lbs. in two days and in reflection probably was hitting the Orville Redenbacher Lite Popcorn too hard.

Take care all!
  • I don't know what it was, but it almost gave me a heart attack. LOL

Also girls, there is a section in the back of the Kathy Smith book, where you sign a form agreeing to do the 12 week challenge and then send it to her. Then when you finish the 12 weeks, you send her another form and she puts your name on her website for finishing the challenge. Woo Hoo. 15 minutes of fame.

Actually, her website is www.kathysmith.com, but when I put that in, it took me to Ivillage...I think they must host her. I checked out the message board, supposedly she posts there....lots on information....

I'm so worried about my salt....that I am going in to pop some Orville right now. LOL!!!
  • Tiff ~ 8 pounds dose not seem really possible. Could it be water retention (You said you were bloated.)? or salt like DNW said. What about TOM?

Okay, so I just got a call from my Dr. It turns out that I have multiple gall stones and need to have my gall bladder removed! . I have never had any kind of surgery and I'm scared. My mom had her's removed and I just talked to her. Of course she's telling me not to worry, that it's not that big of a deal, but it is to me. I am truly scared to death. Again, never having any kind of surgery, I have no idea what to expect. I'm now waiting for the surgery dept to call me and I can go from there. I just came back to work after having my baby, and here I go again. I don't know how long I'll be out if at all. I have so many questions, but have to wait.

Ugh.....I feel like crying, but on the same note, am happy to know that the pain will be gone.
  • http://www.cgh.com.sg/health_public/..._contents.html

Dyan, check that out. It is from another hospital, but it does have a lot of information. Sorry to hear that you have to have surgery.

Hugs,
    Tiffany
  • I'll have my book by Monday. I'll go to WalMart this weekend if not sooner
  • {{{Dyan}}} Just wanted to let you know my brother had his gall bladder removed about 6 months ago and says he feels better than he has in years and years. (He's 43.) Don't be scared. (Yeah, easy for me to say, right?) I'll be thinkin' of ya.

OK, I admit I'm entirely too lazy. Tiff, could you tell me once again what that book title is. The one about lifting weights to lose weight for women. Yeah, I'm having a little trouble keeping up with you pumped and powerful women today! I simply must become fabulously wealthy so I can quit this stupid job and hang with you guys all day instead. Now there's a plan, eh?

Off to buy lottery tickets now...
  • Tiffany ~ Thanks so much for the 411. Now I don't feel so much in the dark. It's still a little scary, but now I can see what may be expected. You're a peach !
  • Dyan, when will you have to have the surgery? You may not feel like lifting weights for a while girl!!

Jo, I am telling you...I need to get rich too. It's been **** today trying to stay on top of this board AND do my job. LOL....

Here is the link for the book....

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...sbn=0446676314

You can see what it's like....

Dang work...gotta jet