Anyone start in the Healthy BMI range?

• Hello...

Was wondering if anyone started their weight loss when they were in the healthy BMI Range (18.5-25).

Just thought we could share what 'inspired' you to lose the weight and your story (or at the beginning if that's the case) of your weight loss.

This is mine:

I'm 21 and a 3rd year at uni (which cos I am in UK is my last year), when I arrived I was 114, but I was shorter then (5'3) and also I'm no longer a teenager I doubt I could pull it off. Since the end of 1st year I was more or less 126, which I was comfortable with.

In February this year I found out I was pregnant, and in March I miscarried. A blessing in disguise, perhaps? I don't believe in abortion but wasn't sure it was the best time especially as I was finishing my degree. Anyway I was still really upset and in one week I had 9 large McDonald's. Yes! There is a giant set of golden arches 2 mins from my flat and I just would go and eat in front of TV. I gained 9 pounds. Got more upset.

Also my boyfriend who is 6'1, is usually 141, ate a little less one day and presented on the scales as 138. My mind was a little fragile and I was like this man is 7 inches taller than me and 3 pounds heavier.

Anyway, I set about to losing the weight since then... and now 4 weeks later I am on 124. And combined with running I just generally feel a lot better.
  • Hey Dora, sorry to hear about your miscarriage Even if it is for the best in the long run, thats gotta be pretty rough. I think I would gain a lot more than 9 pounds xD Congrats on your loss so far- whats your goal? or have you already reached it?

Edit: just readyour intro post about your bf getting ill and then weighing in less than you- that could just be water loss/loss from not eating as much as normal because he was ill etc etc, so I wouldnt sweat it too much I know, easier said than done.
  • Dora: i'm sorry about yr miscarry. seeing that you saw it as a blessing in disguise, God works in weird weird ways.

also that's great that you got down to 124! i am in the exact situation you are. i weigh 135, 5'5, and just trying to get mine down to 125. my recently broken-up boyfriend was weighing in at 140 and it drove me nuts to know if i had a bad day i could weigh the same as him.

how'd you diet? congrats!
  • I am so sorry for everything you have been through, but it looks like you are doing better.

we have very similar stats, i started at a perfectly healthy weight/BMI but everything was starting to get a little tight. My BF and i went to Italy for a holiday last fall and I literally ate 4 big meals a day. When we got back i couldn't sit down in my jeans, they cut too far into my belly! I lost my weight pretty quickly at first and the last few pounds have been painfully slow to come off. Now i am focused more on the fitness end of getting healthy.
  • Thanks guys for all your nice messages. I didn't mean it to create an 'awww poor you' vibe, but just wanted to give a fuller picture. Every time I looked down at my belly - even though it was Ronald McDonald's food baby and not mine own - just made me think about what happened.

Quote: how'd you diet? congrats!
    Well before I started cutting down on any food, I went on the Wii Fit and I would seriously recommend it. I was never good at sport, didn't really do it at school, so it was such a nice way to ease in.

Then I started a high fibre low calorie plan (1200-1300 a day) and pretty quickly lost 6 pounds, but ever since calorie loss per week has been between 1-2 pounds.

Actually this is the first day that I have faltered, my finals are next week and I keep falling asleep at 10 so I am having some crisps to make sure I can stay up with the books a bit longer

And congrats for all three of you for the weight loss.
  • I'm so sorry for everything you've had to go through recently!

I started at around a BMI of 25.8....That's .9 away from a normal BMI. I just wanted to get fit. I was tired of being the fat one and my clothes not fitting and me not being able to afford bigger clothes/I was still in denial about the weight gain and didn't want to waste money on bigger clothes. I was so upset about that, so I found the LoseIt app on my phone and just started following that. As I've been going down, I've been growing more confidence that I can do this on my own.

Also, I was tired of being heavier than my boyfriend.

But good job on your own efforts, you've done very well so far!!