i keep getting in my own way

• hey everyone. i'm new to this site and frankly, i don't know where i belong yet. so i figured i would start here. i've always had issues with my weight but i'm out of the teenager stage and its time for me to take control of my own life. i really do want to lose weight but it seems like there is a mental block that keeps me from doing that. currently i am at 247. i've lost about 10 lbs in the past month or so, due to a car wreck. my ultimate goal is to lost 100 lbs eventually. i was going to post on the 100+ board but i dont want to scare myself. lol. i feel like if i post there, then i will get discouraged and quit. so i'm taking it step by step everyday. so far, my goal is to lost 20 lbs by june 28. my b'day. so here i am. hoping that i dont get discouraged or let this mental block stop me from doing what needs to be done.
  • Hey, TD!

I also joined today. I really hope you don't get scared off because from what I've seen this forum is full of great people ready to support and uplift us.

First of all, are there any health issues you have? Have you talked to your doctor? The first time someone mentioned "insulin resistance" to me, it was my huge breakthrough once I googled it and started reading up on pre-diabetes. I know what works for me, but we're all unique and I don't think we can all lose weight in the same way. Making sure you're safe and talking to a doctor first would be the first practical advice I can give. I'm not a doctor, nor a nutritionist and that is the kind of advice that has priority when it comes to your health.

Having said that, what I can suggest for your mental block is taking a one step at a time approach. Believe it or not, I adamantly did not want to diet and was against dieting and losing weight. But I was bothered by my dark circles and read up on possible causes. Dehydration was one of them. So I started researching dehydration and it turned out water retention was also part of my obesity. I started drinking 10 cups of water/unsweetened green tea a day. It was shocking to me to go to the bathroom so often at first, but now I think nothing of it (and my system has finetuned too so I don't go as often). Do you drink enough water? Do you start your day with a big glass of water? That's a small step, it's free and it doesn't take a lot of effort. But while eating is important, apparently we often confuse thirst for hunger when we're dehydrated.

Then I was worried about getting period cramps that were far more intense than what I was used to and googled that. Anemia seemed the most likely case for me. I realized there is NO way I'm getting enough iron from my eat-twice-a-day-and-most-likely-processed-junk-and-bread diet. I started researching iron sources and the best ones also come packed with lots of other great nutrients. That was step 2.

What followed was the only exercise manageable for me at the time: walking. Slowly and for no more than 30 min at a time at first, but man, it felt GREAT. Don't worry about the weigh ins and my advice is to not take these small steps hoping to lose weight at first. Think of it as preparation for losing weight. These things will not be a magic cure or quick trick but integrated with regular, healthy, balanced meals, they will help. They made me feel good in my first days of weight loss, without feeling like I had to make a HUGE effort.

Let us know how it works!
  • Hey and welcome to 3FC! I love the 20 somethings board and I'm sure you will too...where in Tennessee are ya if you don't mind me asking? I'm a TN girl myself and I love meeting people from around here on this site. It's kind of encouraging in a strange way.

You CAN do this. It's a never ending process and every day is a new set of challenges and decisions to make and opportunities. I'm really learning for myself to appreciate the good decisions I make even if I make a few mistakes, too. Reward yourself for the good things you do, set reasonable goals and focus on your health...the weight will come off sooner or later.

Mind over matter...it really, really is just as simple as that.
  • I've lost just about 100 pounds... and its not hard but its not easy

I didnt set out to lose 100 pounds or even 20 pounds... I didnt give myself goals... my only goal was to get to onderland and that was a lot of weight to lose just to get there

setting numbers and dates can be discouraging... because a lot of the time they dont happen and so early on you shouldnt set yourself up for the dissapointment... your body might not lose 28 pounds in 2 months

whatever you decide good luck... the begining stages are the easiest... its keeping with it after a year thats hard
  • You could always set SMART goals for yourself if 100 feels too big and your concerned you might be discouraged.

Specific
    Measurable
    Achievable
    Realistic
    Timely

I set month long goals, what I want my weight to be by the end of the month. I never make them unrealistic or else that just sets me up for failure.

Best of luck! And stick around, looking through the goal section and the photo album in that section are the most motivating for me.
  • Just wanted to say I know kind of how you feel. I'm looking to lose about fifty pounds myself, and right now that seems like a really big number. I'm going to be really starting in a few weeks when I move and so I'm trying to "get ready" now with things I can do in the midst of a career change/location move situation. Like yesterday, I bought my first pair of running shoes ever and I'm currently downloading music for the new MP3 player I just bought to work out with - these things are kind of helping me feel like I'll be more prepared when the time to really start in begins and are alleviating my anxiety a bit. Really just wanted to say that you are not alone, I have the same worries you do about getting overwhelmed and giving up (again). Best of luck - there are a lot of us out there just like you! Cheers!
  • One really nice thing I like about these forums is that no matter what stage you are at, there is a support group for you. If you feel like giving up, if you feel overwhelmed, if you have given up... someone will bring you back up again. I am just getting started here too but the support seems to be endless. Good luck to you!
  • Quote:
    setting numbers and dates can be discouraging... because a lot of the time they dont happen and so early on you shouldnt set yourself up for the dissapointment... your body might not lose 28 pounds in 2 months
    I completely agree with this. I used to say I wanted to lose 7 lbs a month and it wouldn't happen, and I'd get so frustrated, so finally I was like "I weigh xyz on June 1st. I want to weigh less than that on July 1st" and I went from there and it works! Everyone's body is different. Don't be discouraged, just keep on going, and that's what we're all here for, to help you through it

Just remember, you CAN do this
  • thank you all so much! I'm really trying to keep myself on track. It's hard everyday when ya feel like giving up. I really stop myself when I want to eat and try to figure out why I am eating. Most of the time it's because I'm bored. I recently moved out to the country with my husband and I'm used to living in the city and being able to go out all the time. Now I'm having to adjust to the slower lifestyle which is why I think I'm having problems getting motivated. I don't really know what to do just yet in a new place.
    ThicknPretty I'm from middle tn. A very small town. lol, not much to do around here.
    But it's a new journey and hopefully I can be successful at it.
  • Good luck! I know what it's like when you first start...it's really hard, more mentally than physically even. But everyone here is really supportive, and there's lots of good info.

On a completely different note, I live in Washington, D.C. now, but I'm originally from a small town in Middle TN too- Centerville, to be exact, heh.
  • So, I haven't been on for a few days. I had a few days off from work. I got to spend alot of time with my hubby, which was great but I didn't do so hot on my diet, so I thought. Today when I was getting ready for work, I jumped on the dreaded scale... I lost 4 lbs!! In 4 days! I was sooo excited. Which I'm sure some of it was water weight, I hate my period, but still. It was a good feeling to see the numbers going down. It gave me more motivation! yay for another 40 lbs gone!