Pressure cooker to cook beans.

• I love beans, and eat lots of them. Mostly, I use canned beans for convenience and dry beans when I have time. I prefer dry beans for the taste, cost, lack of sodium and packaging.

I have heard that one can use a pressure cooker to cook beans in less time. Does anyone here do that? Do you have tips for me on pressure cooker model?

Cooking beans in a pot isn't hard, and I'm doing it more now. It's just that having to be home for 4 hours in a row isn't always doable for me.

Thank you for any information you might have on this topic!
  • I usually do several batches in the pressure cooker every weekend (we eat a lot of beans). I even make refried beans that way.

I got mine at WalMart a few years ago, nothing fancy but it works great. I don't soak anymore, just rinse and toss in. I've never had a pressure cooker mishap of any kind. I just check the vents to make sure they are clear when I clean the lid.
  • I have a fagor duo set which I love. It comes with 2 pots, one of which can be used for canning as well but they are really my go to pots for everything, not only pressure cooking. There are 2 lids, a regular cooking lid and a pressure cooking lid. Highly highly recommended.

I cooked black beans today, soaked for 5 hours, cooked for 10, let steam die down for 15 or so and I have beans

Here is a newer version of mine:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-Splendid...dp/B0009MGNO6/

Whatever you do, look for stainless steel.
  • I can't say enough good things about my pressure cooker, but the biggest, best thing it did was let me cook dried beans without having the tough skin issue. I just could NOT decently cook dried beans until I got the pressure cooker. It was my one persistent failure as a cook, and I am so glad to not have to use tinned beans anymore.
  • I love cooking beans in my pressure cooker, and like Cyndi, I don't presoak them any more. I rinse, pitch them in and 35 min. later I have a huge pot of beans.

I actually have 2-one is a Cuisinart electric, which I love and can be found for around $100. The other is a Danish model which I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20. It works just fine, too.