Phase 1 question

• Is there such a thing as too many beans?
  • Not really. Only in the way it affects you. The recommendations are to start with a 1/4 cup and then eat more if not full. Some people on here have 2-3 servings a day. I think as long as your "body" is able to handle them then your fine. I actually lose better if I eat atleast 1-2 serving a day.

Tammie
  • I found this link. I eat beans every day now for breakfast and sometimes later in a meal. I actually find they bother me less than other foods... if you know what I mean.
  • A South Beach serving size of beans is 1/3 to 1/2 cup... because they are more calorie dense than green vegetables, I limited myself to 2 servings a day in Phase 1... maybe 3 servings during the first few days when I was suffering from the SB Flu... now that I'm in Phase 2 generally have 1 serving a day.

I personally find it really hard to eat 4 1/2 cups of veggies during a day if I have more than 1 serving of beans at this point.
  • I eat 1/2 cup servings, usually 2-3/day
  • I occasionally eat a whole can with salsa for dinner. It doesn't really bother me either.
  • Not for me hahah. Seriously they help fill you up and keep the tummy happy just start slowly!
  • I am just confused as I thought that beans would make me gain if I eat too many, not a digestion question more just confused as to how I will keep losing if i'm tucking into them!
  • meelsie, I think the bottom line is that almost any food has the capability to contribute to a person gaining weight. In this sense, theoretically you could eat so many beans that it could cause you to gain weight.

Cyndi noted that she considers 1/2 cup a serving and she has 3 servings per day. murphmitch mentioned that she has no problem eating a can of beans with salsa FOR dinner. Since Cyndi is a vegetarian, she isn't eating higher calorie meats with her beans, and I got the feeling that the can of beans w/salsa was Annes dinner. In both situations, it seems that the beans were actually a low calorie option for a meal.

For me, I am consciously adding more beans AND less meat. I'm actually exchanging a lower fat/calorie protein for the higher one. So I guess you have to look at the rest of the foods you are eating in a day and try and figure if the quantity of beans you are consuming fit into your calorie range. Now I know that counting calories isn't a requirement of SBD, and I don't count, but I am very aware that calories matter.

Last night I had a meat substitute/bean combo with a mexican dinner. I know that my meal was a better choice for losing because my fat and calories were substantially less than if I would have had ground beef/beans.

I hope this helps.
  • I also am very full after that can of beans and don't eat anything the rest of the night.