A camping we will go...

• I am going to karate camp in June… it’s all weekend but I’ll probably drive up Saturday morning, get there in time for training and stay over until Sunday afternoon. There are two trainings on Saturday and one on Sunday.

I am planning on sleeping in my explorer (I have a futon in the back for the dogs: I'll just vaccuum it) but I’m stumped on what to bring for food. I need some high calorie, high protein food.. since I’ll be training for at least 90 minutes at a rip, in a converted barn with no air conditioning.. in June.... in a full cotton dogi (the white “pajamas”)

I’m not an experienced camper by any stretch. There is running water and electricity in the buildings but the goal is to use as little of our hosts resources as possible. So I won't be using electricty to cook anything. I’m thinking of picking up a small one burner stove.

Does anyone have any suggestions for food? I’m trying to pack light as well.
  • The egg muffins can be loaded with veggies, cheese & meats and are pretty good warm or cold. Fritatta slices are good too.. I like bean salads with veggie strips, they would work with chicken or beef strips. Flatouts or other ww wraps make easy sandwiches with sliced meats, cheese, spinach. Think quick, easy and happy in a cooler. Oh, Greek yogurt would be great plain or mixed with fruit, nuts, and appropriate cereal, lots of protein and lasts well in a cooler.
  • Cyndi has some good ideas, and I'd add hard-boiled or deviled eggs to that, fresh fruit, and don't forget the nuts. If you do get a small stove, you can bring cans of beans to heat up, and top with cheese and salsa.

And a jar of peanut butter!
  • Thanks! does anyone have any experience with those small one burner propane stoves?
  • I had one that screwed onto a propane tank, used it for backpacking about 20 years ago. It's okay for reheating carefully but I didn't do a lot of actual cooking or reheating thicker foods. They are probably a lot better now.