Weight Loss & Cycle

• According to an endocrinologist I saw years back, I do NOT have PCOS. She insisted I was fine. However, I do have cystic ovaries & have had irregular periods off and on for 20 years. But I didn't have any of the other symptoms like acne, hirsuitism or glucose intolerance.

In 2001 when I was my heaviest (180 pounds), I stopped getting my period for nine months (eek!). After I lost 20-30 pounds, I started getting regular periods again although the pattern was different. I believe the weight loss helped regulate my hormones and I was pleased with the result.

In the last few months, I started my weight loss program again and I lost another 20 pounds. This month, my period didn't come. I spotted for a day or two, but that was it.

I was wondering if anybody else had a similar problem where their cycles regulated and then deregulated again. My guess is that this is a temporary disruption and that my cycle will normalize in a few months. I'm not that worried considering I have had more irregular cycles than regular ones, but looking for other people's experiences.

Thanks.
  • I agree with you, its probably just your hormone's regulating. Remember, fat, especially belly fat releases estrogen. So even your hormones and blood changes when you lose weight.
    I would say you have probably gotten rid of all your PCOS symptoms, for what I have heard its never truly cured. You can only manage the symptoms. I would really have to dispute your RE's diagnoses. There are many different ways PCOS manifests itself. Some women ONLY have the poly-cystic ovaries and no other symptoms. Cysts on the ovaries do occur naturally, but not every cycle. AND the absence of them is a concern. That right there would indicate a hormonal imbalance which is really what's at the base of PCOS. Good for you though! I bet your cycle will be back and normal in no time.
    Have you had your thyroid tested?
  • I do think that I probably have PCOS despite what the doctor said. There have been symptoms and I have had some irregular blood tests over the years (eg., high testosterone). But I didn't worry about it b/c I never wanted to have children & have been able to lose weight with diet and exercise (so far).

I didn't think about how burning belly fat would release hormones. I am an apple shape with a lot of belly fat. I could see that throwing my system out of whack.

It's funny you mention my thyroid. I take a medication that is bad for the thyroid so I get my thyroid levels checked a lot. So far my thyroid has held up, but it sucks to be on a medication that is thyrotoxic.

Anyway, hopefully my body will adjust to it's new size and do it's thing again.
  • Well, there's 5 types of PCOS patients that we know of and how it manifests for you can vary.
    • traditional PCOS -- anovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance
    • endocrine syndrome X -- anovulatory, increased androgens, insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes
    • non-traditional PCOS --anovulatory, normal androgens, obese, insulin resistant or type 2 diabetes
    • non-traditional PCOS -- ovulatory, increased androgens, mild insulin resistance
    • idiopathic hirsutism -- ovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance
    A.