need a chicken recipe for tonight

• Im going to search the site and the net but thought one of you may have a favorite. last week, I made the taco and salsa chicken but would like to do something with veggies maybe..phase 1
  • I love chicken cacciatore. I make it in a crockpot or in a dutch oven on the stove (or a casserole dish in the oven). I use more water on the stove top, but otherwise the recipes are essentially the same.

Chicken pieces (bone in, boneless doesn't matter. I do usually remove the skin). I like to use thighs because they're more forgiving of overcooking. Chicken breasts can dry out and get tough. This usually is more of a concern when using the crockpot.

veggies (any or all of the following cut into bite-size pieces or thin slices: onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, eggplant/zucchini/summer squash, even green beans). I like a lot of veggies so often the volume of veggies is larger than the volume of chicken. When hubby makes it, the veggies are about half the volume of chicken.

1 jar of spaghetti sauce (check to make sure the ingredients are South Beach friendly). Or I will use tomato puree and italian seasoning and garlic. If I use tomato puree, I will omit the water and cook longer.

1/4 jar of water (if I cook it on the stovetop I will add more water or add water as needed).

Put everthing in the pot, crock, or casserole dish

Oven: Bake at 350
    Stovetop: Reduce to simmer (bubbling, but not spitting tomato lava)
    Crockpot: low or high

Simmer until chicken is cooked through and tender (I usually let it simmer longer - until the chicken is falling off the bone).
  • I do a lot of chicken stir-fries, they're tasty and quick, and pretty inexpensive if you use frozen veggies. There are just 2 of us so I use 1 chicken breast (cut into small pieces), one bag of stir fry veggies (I get our grocery store brand) and a little teriyaki sauce. You can buy sugar free teriyaki, but I usually just mix up my own with the recipe from the South Beach cookbook.

Our favorite chicken stir fry is a little more expensive but so good - I use the chicken breast, 2 red peppers cut into strips and a box of frozen snow peas. So yummy!

* Oops! I've been thinking about this and I realized that SF teriyaki is not Phase 1 friendly. I used low sodium soy sauce when I was on phase 1. It's also really good with sesame oil, but I only discovered that a month or so ago after buying it to make Crack Slaw. I go with the teriyaki most of the time because that's what my DH likes best.
  • I also do lots of stir fries. You can make crack slaw with chicken. And this is a favorite in our house: Zesty Chicken with Black Beans
  • You can do a chicken divan with lots of broccoli, reduced fat mayo, LF or FF sour cream, and low fat cheese. Sometimes I add spinach to it too, it's really good. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...ken-divan.html
  • Tonight I'm having a chicken breast topped with refried beans, garlic lime salsa, and a bit of very reduced fat cheese. (Pared with a side salad and mustard greens.)
  • I like to cube up chicken breast and season with something spicy like Yikes Seasoning
    Add cubed zucchini (about 4 small ones) two cans of stewed tomatoes (the smaller cans.. what are they 14 ounces?) and sometimes some chickpeas