Protein?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So I just started seeing a nutritionist, who told me that there isn't enough protein in my diet. I eat lean meat with lunch and dinner so I THOUGHT I was doing okay, but she wants 20% of my calories to be from protein...right now the highest I ever hit is about 13%. So, what are some other healthy foods that are high in protein? Alternately, have any of you tried protein supplements?

Thanks for the help!
  • If we are talking relational percentages, you might be fine with protein level. Just need to chill on the carbs or fats.

Can you give numbers in grams? Like... I have 100 g protein? 200 g carbs? What's your calorie level supposed to be at?

A.
  • Hmm...I'm supposed to shoot for 1300 calories(ish) a day, 20% of which should be protein...so around 260 calories' worth of protein (not sure how many grams that would be). Hope that helps!
  • An egg white omelet is always good for getting more protein.
  • My dietician told me the same thing. I was getting 17% in my diet. She said 20 is minimum. She said between 20 - 30% was good to aim for. I added in a protein shake. It seems to be helping a little bit, or I am imagining it. Since I started the protein shakes I seem to have more energy. You could also try eating other sources of protein that aren't meat as well.

I don't know I just can't seem to get enough protein in. I don't want to lose muscle so I have been drinking the shakes. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • Protein foods I eat every day or weekly:

Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Cheese
    Milk
    Eggs
    Chicken breast
    Ground turkey
    Pork chops
    Steak
    Almonds

I eat about 150 grams of protein per day; about 30% of my calories come from protein. It's not really that difficult to do, if you are paying attention to the composition of the foods you eat.
  • The RDA for protein is 50 grams and protein has 4 calories per gram so that is about 200 calories worth.

I don't eat meat or animal products but tend to get about 80 to 100 grams per day. I eat lots of beans, leafy greens, some sprouted grain bread, lots of other veggies, some nuts, etc. Basically every whole/unprocessed food has some protein in it.
  • For a snack that is low-fat and a good source of protein try Edamame (Japanese Soy Beans).

I buy them still in their pods, after they are cooked I sprinkle them with a little half salt and pull them out of their pods. Yum-o!
  • I was going to start a new thread regarding protein/energy, but I suppose I will just post this here.

I have had a deficit of energy lately. I suspect I am short-changing myself on protein. I see above that the RDA is 50 grams per day. I am going to try tracking my protein intake and see if I am even close.

Could low protein intake be causing my energy shortage?

Thanks!
  • Quote:
    Hmm...I'm supposed to shoot for 1300 calories(ish) a day, 20% of which should be protein...so around 260 calories' worth of protein (not sure how many grams that would be). Hope that helps!
    I am assuming 20% protein 30% fat and 50% carb then. That's traditional.
    For 1300 cal, that works out to

65 grams protein, 43 g fat, 163 g carb

to keep the ratios.

Your protein power house foods are animal foods and the nuts/beans family from the plants. (Other plant foods also have protein but all the plant foods come with carbs too).

4 oz cooked chicken breast gets you to 34 g protein. So if you are having about 4 oz lean meats with lunch and dinner you are more or less set for the 65 ish grams of protein a day. This pattern is what you say you have, so perhaps just check your serving size?

You'll pick up more protein from your other foods too, but again -- watch the carbs/fats too to keep the ratios where they need to be at.

A.
  • Quote:
    Could low protein intake be causing my energy shortage?
    That or too many carbs in one sitting are causing you to get the carb coma (sleepies).

A.
  • Hey guys.. one thing i've noticed i used to eat ALOT of carbs we're talking like 4 cups of veggies a day and 3 cups of fruit.. LOTS of carbs.. and not enough protein.. i've upped my protein and made my veggies like 3 and 3 fruit.. and i've noticed a Huge difference, im not HALF as hungry as i used to be.. my weight isnt fluxing anymore its staying the same and dropping, it never spikes up anymore.
    and alot more energy through the day!
  • I got 55 grams of protein today. Enough? I'm thinking it is...?
  • Here's the RDA table.

http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/protein-requirement.php

55 is more or less fine.

A.
  • Well, I feel a little better about that! I packed 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese for a snack later.

ETA: I recalculated the protein for yesterday and it actually added up to 62 grams.