Primal In April

You're on Page 3 of 15
Go to
  • Ham isn't Primal?
  • Quote: Ham isn't Primal?
    Probably not ... but too bad, so sad, it's what I'll be eating for the next 2 days ... the one good thing with ham is that it makes me thirsty and I drink a ton of water...
  • I think it depends how it's processed. Smoked is fine ... cured well um ...

You can always just count it as your 20%
  • But I felt so primal when I chomped a hunk o' ham for lunch! (I was looking for a cave-smilie but this is the closest I could find)

It looks like the last 3 days are my 20%....how many OP days do I need to make up for that?

I'm drinking a lot of water too! I always seem to diurese a lot when I cut the grains. Water easy in, easy out.
  • I agree with you about the fluid loss. If my carbs are low enough, I don't have that puffy morning thing.

I think I lost 4 pounds in about five days at the start. Then back to a ho-hum 1/2 pound a week.
  • Quote:
    Today's food so far:
    1. blueberries, ground flaxseeds, bran buds, dollop of yogurt
    2. AES protein drink, it's not primal, but my mouth was frozen I went to the dentist this morning, and I was really hungry
    3. Left over ham, again not primal but ... Coleslaw, greens, flax oil in a large bowl...
    This afternoon I had an apple and almonds as a snack, for supper I had the exact same thing as I did for lunch no 3....

I'm not sure if the ham is cured or smoked ... I did have about 1/2 cup of quinoa salad today, it's left over from yesterday's supper too... but all in all my day has been good... 80% good I would think...

Protein: 69g, 25%
    Carbs: 33.6, 30%
    Fats: 57g, 45%
    Fiber: 35.4

I'm not sure what the macro nutrients of Primal should be though... My book hasn't arrived yet...
  • One of the things I really liked about the book was that there were no absolutes. He lays out the basic ... um ... blueprint and then suggests tweaks depending on your results and goals.

At least that's what is stuck in my head since I read it.
  • Quote: Ham isn't Primal?
    If bacon is primal, why not ham?
  • Quote: One of the things I really liked about the book was that there were no absolutes. He lays out the basic ... um ... blueprint and then suggests tweaks depending on your results and goals.

At least that's what is stuck in my head since I read it.
    This! This is what I love about the book. Last night as I ate my primal steak and not-so-primal baked potato, I thought of Grok foraging around and coming across a rare find, a tasty tuber treat, something he would enjoy only once in a long while... am I kidding myself?
  • Very interesting Fresca and Susan...I can't wait to get the book...It's been a week and it hasn't arrived yet, whassup with that, don't they know I want it

Yesterday was a good day, today is more of the same
  • Quote: Very interesting Fresca and Susan...I can't wait to get the book...It's been a week and it hasn't arrived yet, whassup with that, don't they know I want it

Yesterday was a good day, today is more of the same

Ilene, if it helps any, I found that I didn't get THAT much more info out of the book than I did from the website. That goes for anyone else that stumbles upon our thread. The primal 101 on marksdailyapple has most of the information that the book has. It is easier to read it in book form. I'm still glad that I have the book.
  • I did pretty good yesterday.

B: 4 sausage links
    L: chicken breast & potatoes with butter (low on groceries)
    S: chocolate and strawberries
    D: hamburger (no bun) with cheese on top and some cut up raw carrot, celery, and red bell pepper

second dinner: a little bit of rice and chinese chicken (oops)

Even with the rice, chinese food, chocolate and potatoes, it's still a step in the right direction.
  • Quote: Ilene, if it helps any, I found that I didn't get THAT much more info out of the book than I did from the website. That goes for anyone else that stumbles upon our thread. The primal 101 on marksdailyapple has most of the information that the book has. It is easier to read it in book form. I'm still glad that I have the book.
    Thanks Wendy for the info... I love having a book too though, specially when I go to the toilet (TMI I know ) it's when I get my best reading in
  • I think the bacon and ham thing is about additives, nitrates, salt, sugar ... Some primalists (is that a word) used uncured side pork and call it bacon. Apparently some folks are willing to forgive the chemicals in this one food because it tastes soooo awesome!!!

If I can find side pork, DH says he'll try smoking it and we'll see how that is.
  • Moving long and slow was my thing yesterday. I got on the elliptical and just moved. I never even changed the resistance. Today is what? the 7th? So much for my plan to do weight lifting every other day. I haven't done one decent workout yet this month.

With blatant disregard for whatever is wrong with bacon ... I had bacon and eggs for supper last night. Yum!