Spinning?

• So does anyone have a spinning bike at home? I'm considering getting one. I've got an elliptical and a recumbent bike, but the bike barely even gets my heart rate up anymore, no matter how hard I push. I've heard spinning is a good workout, but want to hear some experiences with it before I make the purchase. How does a workout WORK...like what do you do, etc.? And if anyone has a heart rate monitor, how many calories do you burn in a typical workout?
  • I have recently gotten into spinning, and I love it. I spin at the gym, and then ride my bike on trails on the weekend. The biggest trouble I've run into is, well, saddle-sores. It took my rear a little while to get used to the seat, and I actually bought some padded bike shorts. Other than that, it's just getting used to working my quads more than I ever have before.

Unfortunately, I don't know how many calories I'm burning, since I don't have a GoWear Fit yet.
  • I love spinning and I've heard you can burn up to 800 calories in 45 minutes. However, I will say that my work out is directly related to the instructor. I don't know how well I would do if I just had the bike in my apartment and did it on my own.

And yes, my butt hurt for a while, but you get used to that
  • I was hoping I could find some spinning DVDs...I'd LOVE to do a class, but the nearest gym is 50 miles away, one way. So it's a no go...
  • I'm sure you could find a lot of stuff online - DVDs or possibly even podcasts.
  • there are DVDs - I know we have a couple from some Triathlon Festivals we went to...I'm at work tho and don't have the titles...