sore ankles from running

• I've noticed that last two weeks my ankles are sore after running. They aren't tender to touch or anything just a little sore when walking not even when running. I'm not sure if this could be mild shin splints or maybe just from a need of new shoes. I do plan on going to get new running shoes this weekend but am wondering if I should take a break from running until the pain isn't there or if I should push through it. Like I said, it's a very mild pain that I don't even notice while running, mostly after I'm not and when I'm walking normally during the day.. it's not tender to touch or even swollen at all.
  • Make sure you get running shoes - they made a pretty big difference for me. I had sore ankles 2/3 of the way through my last two runs (Tues and Wed) but my ankles are fine now, thankfully.
  • a lot of running stores will test your run to determine gait and strike of your stride...I would recommend going to that type of store and figuring out what type of shoe is best for you.
  • We don't have any runnings stores close and I can't drive 2 hours for one so I'm going to Dicks to hopefully find some good shoes.
  • I haven't been running long so I haven't experienced sore ankles yet but the thing that I have experienced that feels so weird is my feet falling asleep. Thought maybe I tied the shoes too tight but don't think so. Can't figure it out!
  • Sore ankles could be that you're just not used to the running yet and you need to strengthen the muscles around the ankles.

Angie -- My toes also got numb from running and this was caused by what is called Morton's neuroma here is a good simple explanation of it. I visited a chiropodist and he had some orthotics made for me and I haven't had the problem one bit since...

Hope this helps...
  • I was having sore ankles as well, but after replacing my crap tennis shoes with a real pair of running shoes, I haven't had a single bit of pain yet.

For a short-term fix, soaking in a warm bath did wonders for mine when they got sore.