Cheat days?!?!?!

• I'm curious- how many people have cheat days? I just heard of this on another thread and it seems strange to me. Isn't a cheat day counter-productive? Or is it ok to eat like you used to on the weekends? What about all the calories you eat on your cheat day? When I think of some meals at restraunts (sp) being 3000 cals or more (Not incl. drinks, apps, desert), and knowing that 5000 cals is a pound, and thinking that I am losing about 2 pounds a week... well it just doesn't add up. Is there something I'm not getting. Sounds too good to be true, but if it is true, I wanna peice of that action!
  • I don't have cheat days, but what I do is count calories and fat, so I always have the ability to make choices. I can choose for example to eat chocolate or salad and it doesn't matter which one I choose as long as the calories and fat are still under my daily target number.

There is a caveat though. If I choose chocooate, I know I won't be getting much nutrition to help me have a great bicycle ride or walk or whatever and no energy, plus I will be ravenous for the rest of the day. I guess it's like I can cheat all the time if I want to. But I pretty much choose foods that are good for me and filling, or I choose the low cal/low sugar/low fat version of my "junk" food so it isn't as costly to my plan.

Knowing that I can choose makes it easier for me to pick good foods and also to have an occasional bit of chocolate or a skinny cow ice cream sandwich or even a small frosty from Wendy's. I know I'm not blowing my plan and I am also feeling satisfied with the food I eat.

I am sure others do it differently and youwill figure out what works for you. I think the main thing is to find a plan you can live with so you don't ever have to just go berserk and then go through a ton of guilt over a few potato chips.

Barb
  • Ugh, it has never worked for me, because cheating just leads to more cheating. I splurge a little here and there, but I try not to feel guilty about it and just ENJOY it (not call it cheating)...and then exercise a bunch to compensate or eat less during the rest of the week.
  • Actually I do have cheat days. I was following the 5 factor diet and it actually says you should have a cheat day once a week. I just recently joined a gym and got a personal fitness coach and he actually tweaked my diet quite a bit and he still said "Once a week put away your calorie counter and don't even look at the nutrition on the box. Eat anything and everything you want. Your body needs this cheat day." I dunno...it's working for me.
  • FYI - There are only 3500 calories in a pound.

I am too early in the game to have a cheat "day" I have only gone a little OP once and that was at my grandmother's b-day party. I had a small piece of cake and a few tbsps of ice cream. I do however agree with angelskeep, if you are counting calories and you want to splurge, go ahead as long as it is in your calorie/fat range for the day but remember that it may hurt you in the long run as far as triggering binges or running low on energy.

If you are a person of great control and willpower, have at it, otherwise I would suggest starting small and maybe having a cheat "meal" once every couple weeks or a month. Remember, it takes longer to get it off than it does to put it on!

I think it also depends on your body type and metabolism. I would prefer not to cheat right now but I have a lot more to lose than you do! You will just have to feel it out and see what works for you. I personally think it helps to splurge every now and then because it tricks your body.
  • I have a cheat meal every week to 10 days. I didn't do it for the first couple of months. I don't think of it as a cheat meal as I plan ahead for it and I believe it helps me stay on my plan the rest of the time. I still lose at least 2 pounds a week and no longer hit plateaus. This is how I live my life now and will do the same when I am in maintenance. I consider is similar to zigzagging. One of the biggest loser's for example was in a Women's World magazine and she has 1200 calories 6 days a week and 2400 calories one day a week. The theory is that it keeps your body guessing so you don't plateau. You have to do what works for you. Some people feel that if they go off for a day they will have trouble getting back on track. You have to know yourself.