Stuffed Bell Peppers

• 2 red bell pepper, cut in half length wise (choose the fattest pepper for the best stuffing)
    1 small zucchini, diced
    1 baby eggplant, diced
    8 white mushrooms, diced
    .75 pounds of ground beef
    1 large can crushed tomatoes (or 2 12 oz. cans)
    5-8 sundried tomatoes
    large handful of Barley (I'd guess 1/4 c.)
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    1 tablespoon Worsteshire sauce
    spicy grill seasoning
    salt to taste (added with grill seasoning)
    3/4 cup Cheese blend (I used feta, monteray jack, mozzarella and parmesan)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and dice zucchini and eggplant. Add grill seasoning (I used McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning) and salt with olive oil and toss onto a cookie sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Lower oven to 350 degrees.

In the meantime, brown ground beef over medium heat. When almost cooked through, add mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and grill seasoning. Cook until browned and then add tomatoes (be careful of splatter). Add barley and cover for 20 minutes.

Add roasted vegetables and cook for another 10 minutes covered.

Put halved bell peppers in a Pam sprayed oven-safe dish. Add layer of cheese (helps it stick to pepper). Scoop filling into pepper then top with remaining cheese. Cook at 350 for 25 more minutes.

Eat and enjoy!

• looks delicious...thanks for putting up a pic. For me, the pictures make all the difference in deciding if I want to try a new dish or not. Keep 'em coming!
  • Valley -thanks for saying that! Sometimes I feel like I annoy people with my images!
  • I also like the pics....I want to know what it should look like when I'm finished LOL
  • No annoyance AT ALL. The pics are helpful. I love stuffed peppers and usually they are stuffed with ground beef. I', going to try adding more veggies and less beef next time.
  • Making this again today! I made some edits to the ingredients:

1.5 red bell pepper, cut in half length wise (choose the fattest pepper for the best stuffing)
    1 small zucchini, diced
    1 baby eggplant, diced
    Handful of sliced Portabello mushrooms
    1 clove of garlic
    1 shallot
    .25 pounds of ground beef
    1/2 large can crushed tomatoes
    1 scallion, chopped
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    handful of brown rice (pre-cooked or frozen)
    spicy grill seasoning
    salt to taste (added with grill seasoning)
    3/4 cup Cheese blend (I used feta, parm and white cheddar)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and dice zucchini and eggplant. Add grill seasoning (I used McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning) with olive oil and toss onto a cookie sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Lower oven to 350 degrees.

In the meantime, brown ground beef over medium heat (add grill seasoning). When almost cooked through, add mushrooms, shallot and garlic. Cook until browned and then add tomatoes (be careful of splatter) and pre-cooked handful of brown rice.

Add roasted vegetables and cook for another 5-10 minutes.

Put halved bell peppers in a Pam sprayed oven-safe dish. Add layer of cheese (helps it stick to pepper). Scoop filling into pepper then top with remaining cheese and scallion. Cook at 350 for 25 more minutes.