Outfit help please

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I posted about this in someone elses thread but would appreciate a few more opinions.

I have to go to a Black Tie Optional wedding in South Carolina the end of May. Not being from America I am a bit unsure what this means in terms of outfits. I know I shouldnt wear anything too short but other then that does anyone have any ideas about the dress code.

I am thinking about this dress or this one

What do people think?
  • Between those, I like the second one for a May wedding. Spring weddings, from my experience, are generally colorful. Black probably wouldn't be the best choice. I'd wear a knee-length to just-below-the-knee cocktail dress. It'll be pretty warm in South Carolina at the end of May, so keep that in mind. Have fun dress shopping
  • I second this. They say there are three colors you never wear to a wedding - White, Black, and Red. :-)

There are always exceptions, but I'd stick with that unless I really knew what the bride wanted.

Black tie optional usually means it's a rather formal even - not full tuxedos and ball gowns, but still a formal wedding.
  • Yeah, that sounds just about right. Don't wear a fascinator.
  • I'd go with the second one, even though the first one is pretty too, but I think the second one is much better for the wedding your planning to go to. Hope that helps.
  • They're both very pretty! The second one will probably look more appropriate at a Southern May wedding.
  • I think that either dress would be perfectly appropriate. While black is often a no, I noticed that the first dress is actually dark silver and that tends to photograph as black, but look different in real life. I think that you are on the right track for this style of wedding.
  • Thanks for everyones imput. The first dress is a style I like, although I was actually looking at it in purple. But I think I prefer the 2nd one too. Someone mentioned not to wear a fascinator..why is that? They are very popular over here for weddings.
  • They are both lovely choices but I agree that the second one is a better color for a May wedding...if you went with the first choice in purple I would say you would likely feel completely comfortable in both. Might the comment about the fascinator be because sometimes brides wear them as an alternative to veils? Do you know if the bride is wearing a veil or something less alternative?
  • I like the first one!
  • I feel like the second one is much nicer. The first dress looks a little bit high-school prom to me, IMO

I had to google what a fascinator is, but I think anything large would class with the dress. Maybe something really small. The only thing is not to compete with the veil of the bride
  • I think I would pick number one, altho they are both nice.
  • You can seriously wear black to a wedding these days... they say you arent supposed to unless it is after six however I went to a wedding at 4 this past weekend and a ton of people were wearing black...including myself ....

Just never wear white

I personally like the first dress
  • I like the second one too! It seems very fun and I love the color
  • i agree the weddings i have been to it seems many of the women were wearing little black dresses .