I knew it was coming, but doesn't make it any easier to take

• So I weigh in only once a month so I don't see those frustrating fluctations or plateaus. But it also means that even though I'm not losing terribly fast (@ 6 lbs per month), the new number is a nice step down.

Not this month. 1 lb. total. Now the good news is that I had my height measured while I was at hospital this week and found out I'm an inch taller than I thought, so my BMI improved anyway. And I don't really think I've stalled. I suspect there was a small gain from a romantic weekend with beau in February, and both eating and exercise was interrupted by surgery this week. But still a bit of an emotional bummer.

Back to the plan. I WILL be reporting a better number in April.
  • Good for you any way! Sticking to the plan, taking life's bumps in stride!

A.
  • Caryesings - a 1 lb loss is better than a 1 lb gain. And 1 lb loss, despite a romantic weekend with your beau and surgery, is fantastic! If you regularly lose 6 lbs per month, which is a fantastic rate of weight loss, you'll be back to that rate now that you'll have a month with fewer distractions and things to sideline you. 6 lbs per month is a rate that I would be VERY happy to have. You go, girl!
  • Surgery this week? You're probably retaining fluid--it can take several days to go away. That is how the body reacts to any kind of trauma.
  • Quote: Surgery this week? You're probably retaining fluid--it can take several days to go away. That is how the body reacts to any kind of trauma.
    That was my thought too. Plus, didn't they pump you full of fluids for the surgery? You could darn well still be losing that.

Heck, you may have a 10 pound loss to report next month!
  • totally agree that the surgery is a likely culprit. sheesh, I've just had a bad cold and put on 4 lbs in 3 days!

I guess this is the one drawback of once a month weigh ins, that you didn't get the benefit of seeing what I'm sure was a lower number on the scale prior to surgery. But yes, I'm sure you will see a great number next month, which will reflect your normal loss plus getting rid of this artificial gain.

hope you recovered well and are feeling better!
  • Yup. It takes several days to get rid of the extra fluids from surgery. You are doing GREAT!!
  • If you had surgery, then your body needs time to heal and take care of itself, as it is under stress. Don't be discouraged, you can achieve what you want. Some months the weight loss just occurs at a different rate.
  • Thanks all for the encouragement. The side benefit of surgery is I'm going to have to shake up my exercise routine, as I'm not going to be able to swim laps until after splint off/sutures come out in 2 weeks. So will have to find a new activity for those days.

Funny, in my past, the "no immersion" rule would have given me an excuse just to skip exercising those days. Now I'm looking forward to trying something new like one of the classes at the Y. This is not the Cary of 2 years ago.
  • Sorry to hear that. I'm glad it wasn't a gain but I agree with the others that it may be from the surgery. Hope you are on the mend soon.
  • Don't be discouraged by a plateau - and you probably aren't even having one, as others have pointed out. I went a dreadful (ok, an exaggeration) month staying totally on plan and not losing a pound, then lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Bodies are glorious creations and can't be valued by the scale!
  • I'm jumping on the "retaining fluid from surgery" band wagon. I bet if you keep doing what you always do, you'll see a significant loss at your next weigh in.