Bad run with new shoes?

• Uggghhh, so I went to a real running store yesterday and bought REAL running shoes, and had a crappy run today. Day before yesterday I jogged 27 min, about 2 miles. I took yesterday off to recover, and then went running today with my new shoes. They are SO MUCH HEAVIER than my crappy cheapo tennis shoes! I ran a mile in 12:30, but that seemed harder than anything I did the day before yesterday (I was more tired and sore after that one mile than after the two day before yesterday). Is it my legs getting used to the added weight of real shoes? Is there that much of a difference between a 13:30 mile and a 12:30 one?

I'm just frustrated because I thought I was supposed to have BETTER runs with better shoes I'm also expecting TOM today or maybe tomorrow--could that affect it?

Thanks so much for any advice! I'm working up to a 5K on April 25th and I would REALLY like to do it in under 35 min.
  • The problem is likely the shoes. Although you went to a real running store and got fitted, it is still possible for them to get it wrong. You should take them back and exchange them for a different pair. Did this store have you run in them while in the store to check your gait, etc? If not, I would suggest perhaps returning them and going elsewhere. If they did, just ask someone else to fit you. I had this same problem when I started running. I thought it was probably just me since I'd never had 'real' running shoes before. So I continued to run in them and seriously injured my back. It wouldn't hurt to go back and now you have a better idea of what kind of shoe you're looking for.
  • Take them back.

MTA: Even within category of shoe stability (motion control, stability, guidance, neutral) there are major differences from brand to brand. Brooks for example tend to be a little on the heavy side, but I like them because for me forefoot cushioning on long runs is crucial. But if I am running hills or racing I like mizunos because they are lighter and more flexible. Saucony's dont fit MY feet at all. They feel good in the store but give me blisters.

Good running stores will always exchange.

Tell them you have been running in cheapo tennis shoes and that the running shoes feel heavy. Bring the tennis shoes with you. There is sometimes a tendency to assume that all heavier (meaning over 125 lbs in the weird world of running) needs motion control. Ask to be evaluated IN your tennis shoes. There are some very light shoes out there.

Although I do notice if the only thing I feel is heaviness in shoes that doesnt necessarily mean they will injure me, but I dont go fast in them. I go through shoes fast enough that they have a purpose for me.
  • Although I would take a second run in them first to make sure its the shoe and not just a crappy run. Some days I run as much as 3 minutes per mile slower than on other days and 4-5 minutes slower than on race days.

ACK!!! I just saw your TOM expectation. That can DEFINITELY affect things. a day or two before TOM I feel like I am running through cement and I am VERY slow.
  • Thanks so much both of you! I'm going to give them another try or two and if it doesn't get better, I'll take them back and exchange them. The store I got them from has a great reputation and she watched me run in them and everything, so hopefully it's just a bad day.

TMI alert: I did start TOM as expected, and most of the achiness this morning was in my upper thighs, so maybe it's just that--this is my first since I started jogging regularly.
  • I wanted to update just in case anyone else has similar issues--after another bad run this morning, I returned the shoes and exchanged them for 1/2 size smaller. I also upgraded a little from Asics 2150s to Kayano 16s. I haven't had a chance to go running yet since I had already been out today, but the difference in how they feel on my feet is just night and day from the old ones--amazing how important that 1/2 size is. Plus the Kayanos lace kind of weirdly sideways, which is more comfortable for me since my feet tend to be sensitive to shoes that are laced too tightly.

Thanks again for the advice