Foods you *thought* you didn't like

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Tonight as I was making supper and having my third batch of roasted asparagus in less than a week, I got to thinking about foods that before last summer, I thought I didn't like, but once I actually tried them, have turned out to be some of my favorite foods.

Obviously, asparagus is one of those foods. The only time I remember eating it in a restaurant, it was bitter and I just assumed that was how asparagus tasted. Not so! Roasting asparagus with a little garlic powder sprinkled on top is now one of my favorite veggies.

Another is sweet potato. I had only seen them served with cinnamon, sugar and marshmellows and as much as I like sweet stuff, the thought of eating a starchy vegetable with those flavors just turned me off. I love potatoes but was trying to cut out 'white' stuff as much as possible so figured I'd give the sweet potato a try. Now I actually PREFER a plain baked sweet potato with just a spritz of butter spray over regular potatoes.

So what are some foods that you thought you didn't like but have now come to love?
  • Butternut Squash
  • salmon grilled to perfection.
    I second the sweet potato.
    greek yogurt mixed with 1 packet of splenda and cinnamon.
    hot fudge sundae. just kidding.
  • Ooo, sweet potatoes. That's nothing new for me but just reading this made me crave a baked sweet potato. Yummm.
  • Oatmeal! I discovered the flavored kind and I love it with fruit added in. I eat it for breakfast 2 or 3 times a week now.
  • Yogurt. I didn't eat it for years and years. Now, I eat at least one non-fat yogurt, sometimes two.
    Broccoli
  • Foods I thought I hated and now love, brown rice and broccoli.

Foods I thought I hated and still do, yogurt and most fish.
  • I second asparagus. Cook it the right way, and it is awesome. Also broccoli and zucchini.
  • Sweet potatoe! It is my new favorite veggie. I eat it a few time a week now. Just cut up and baked, a little salt and papper YUMO! I never thought I liked them. I only tried them last year. I try to taste new foods when they are offered now.
  • I was the ultimate picky eater when I was bigger. Now....there's a TON of foods I'd never eat before...sweet potatoes, rice, broccoli, squash, salads, cauliflower, carrots, turkey anything outside of Thanksgiving meals, unsweetened cereals, unsweetened tea, spinach...the list goes on and on...
  • I am another person that never liked asparagus until I learned to roast it. I'm eating 4-5 times a week right now because it's been on sale. It is the only veggie that I will pay way more than I should when it's not in season. Spaghetti squash is another. I now look forward to "spaghetti" nights even though I cannot eat grains.
  • Oatmeal. I never liked it before. I like to make it with minimal water so it's really thick and solid. I still can't stand runny oatmeal!

I was always "eh" on brussel sprouts until I started slicing them in half and roasting them. Now, I eat them at least once a week!

Still hate green peppers though, blech.
  • You know, it's funny because I've always liked healthy foods. I just didn't eat them. Now, that I pay more attention to what I eat, I find I like them much better than junk. So eating healthy isn't a sacrifice, but a joy!
  • beans, salads, just about any veggie
  • OK, I am convinced. I have never liked asparagus but now I am going to try roasting it!