Foods you *thought* you didn't like

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Pretty much every vegetable. I started liking more when I was in my lower 20s. I used to think that I hated cauliflower up until a couple months ago. I ate some at an Indian buffet and it tasted really good.
  • We were a vegetable-eating family. But the vegetables were generally boiled & then buttered. When I met them again cooked in other ways, practically every single one of them was a revelation. Learning to roast them nearly changed my life. In particular, the veggies I now like include:
    • Beets: I'd only eaten them canned, never roasted
    • Artichokes: I didn't know how to cook them. Had the hearts but not a fresh one. Had to go to a website & look up "How to cook artichokes"
    • Broccoli rabe: Again, I didn't really know how to cook this but now eat it frequently, thanks to my Italian landlady, who told me all about how to do it while we stood on the landing getting the mail one afternoon
    • Canned pumpkin: I'd never known it could be used outside of pie-making, but oh boy, is it excellent in soup & also as a base for black bean soup
    • Mustard greens, beet greens, collard greens, kale, Swiss chard: This opened up a whole new world. And most of these are so inexpensive, too.
  • I LOVE asparagus!! Also, I used to hate hate hate broccoli. When I was little my mom used to force me to eat it and it was all I could do to keep it down. Now I could eat it for every meal!!
  • Steel cut oatmeal, tofu and soy products, salmon, quinoa, mangos, just about any veggie. My Mom was a southern cook....cook them all to mush with some fatback or lard. I won't lie, I did love her cooking, but I've learned that veggies also taste really good when they are steamed, grilled or roasted....and, even, fresh!
  • I LOVE zucchini, oatmeal, and snap peas YUMM! oh yeah just discovered cauliflower!
  • I haven't really had that problem--I like ALL food!!! That's my problem, eh?

I am eating more fish, before I only ate fish sandwiches at the drive through or salmon at restaurants. I'm finding I like other varieties (trying barrumundi tonight) and it isn't that difficult to fix after all....