A WLS Caution! LOL!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I decided that I wanted to drink a diet coke zero......I burp like a hog and it hurts my pouch and have been given instructions to stay away from caffiene.
    Well, I think I know just about everything there is to know about life, but......if you are going to drink a carbonated beverage, have a little pouch, burp like a pig, don't sneak one of your grandkids M&M, because......well, did you know that you can blow and M&M up into the back of your nose......Yes, that's right. I'm just grateful, it was a plain one and not a peanut M&M!
  • Eeewww! That must have been painful. It came back out ok though, didn't it?
  • OMG! Are you ok, that had too have freaked all of you out when it happened. Thandks for the warning
  • lesson learned

• I keep flat diet 7up and ginger ale for nausea in my fridge.. maybe you can have your coke flat?
  • Actually Nanj I think you got off quite lucky. When I was "interviewing" for my sleeve I met this skinny cute guy and he told me he had done sleeve gastrectomy the year before but around six months he drunk a soft drink, it hurt like mad and he threw up blood. Apparently the soft drink made his stomach expand and caused a wound. As a result he was in the hospital for two weeks.

I thanked my lucky stars that moment that I don't drink soft drinks but even if I did that was the story that made me vow never to touch anything fizzy again.
  • I wish i'd been there to see that, Nancy!!!! keep this up, and your grandkids will be posting videos of you on youtube!!!
  • It came out in melted little sharp pieces sticking in the back of my throat! Hurt like crap! I'm so dumb! I waited 18 months before I even tried a diet soda, and that only came after I talked with my NUT and she told me flat pop and do not use it as a substitute for water. Occasionally I have one with lots of ice and it sits for a while. Oh, but not this time! My little granddaughter, who is the non-carb master, said, "The doctor told you not to eat candy!" I think she was just mad because I ate one of her M&Ms! LOL!
  • Very few times have I craved diet soda but the times I have, I usually shake the crap out of the bottle and leave it on the counter to go flat, then I'll drink it. Usually when I'm done, I say to myself .. Gee that wasn't worth it LOL.

Nan, my daughter would be PO'd if I ate her candy too.

• Wow, that sounds incredibly uncomfortable and icky (but also kinda funny as long as no harm was caused!)!

I drink diet soda daily without a problem. I prefer fountain soda because it tends to be less carbonated. Bottled sodas are the worst, IMO.
  • LOL Nan!
  • hehehehehehehehehehe OUCH!! but... hehehehehehehehehe
  • Nan you are too funny, well I this will keep you from soda and M&M's. I am scared to try straight soda. I have sipped a punch with a little sprite but it makes me nauseated. I tried caffine in coffee and it makes me shaky and loopy too.
  • That's one thing that kind of distresses me. I drink caffeine-free diet Coke like there's no tomorrow, and I'm told that with WLS I can't ever have a carbonated beverage again. Is this true?
  • Well LoveBirdFlying: As you can see from my example, it is not the wisest choice and it can hurt! As I stated, I was 18 months away from my surgery date, before I approached my nutritionist about a carbonated beverage. Can you drink it non-stop? Doubt it, you need water not cola. It is hard enough for me to get in my daily water and diet cola just takes up my water's space. I think when I do drink a lot of fake sugar drinks, it makes me crave sweet things. I'm trying to give up things in my life that will have a bad affect on my WLS and start making me gain back my weight and I think regular diet colas will do that. Besides, don't think that I want to deal with kidney stones, and I think too much soda is going to make that a possibility.

Don't let this discourage you from doing WLS, just because you can't drink diet Coke. Just think about you quality of life, a Life period, and getting rid of diet Coke really doesn't seem like a big deal.